Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Excuse the ignorance, but where can I purchase "MMplayer" and "PocketDVD Player"? Can someone provide links?

Thanks in advance.
    I think if you purchase both of them through palmgear.com they give you a dicount on them. I use both of these programs currently on my 600, and they are great. Can't wait to get my 650............ordered on the 9th and hopefully it will ship today.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourdewolf
    What settings do you convert to for the 600?

I currently do this on my PPC which I use for a video player but have always wanted to see what it looked like on the treo.

DD
    Do 160x108 and use a bitrate of around 60kbps and XVid as a codec for optimal results. You can choose a higher bitrate, but MMPlayer complains about buffer overruns.

If anybody has similar settings for the 650, I'd like to know. When you crank the rez up to 320x240, I would like to know the max bitrate you can use before the 650 starts to complain. I am worried that the minimum supported by PocketDVD (125kbps) will be too high for the 650 to handle.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourdewolf
    What settings do you convert to for the 600?
    I use all the defaults from PocketDVDStudio. I was easily fitting two 2-hour movies on my 256M SD card. Each movie ~100-120MB. In preparation for the arrival of my 650 I've upgraded to two 1GB SD cards. One for apps & mp3s that lives in the Treo most of the time. The other card for movies when I'm on a plane.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmoose
    Excuse the ignorance, but where can I purchase "MMplayer" and "PocketDVD Player"? Can someone provide links?

Thanks in advance.
    pqdvd.com get the latest version v2.01
    I found out that I can drag & drop movie files over to palm desktop software & it will convert & sync it for me. But when I tried a wmv file, it froze & eventually crashed. EVery time. Are there certain files that Palm Desktop cannot convert? Or can it convert any movie file no matter the format to a Treo 650 viewable format? This is nuts if I can watch full movies on my Treo 650! Wowee!!
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    .....PocketDivxEncoder is more customizable, but it only allows the conversion of existing divx or xvid movies. It cannot rid DVD's. Another tool I've used is VirtualDub. This one is a little difficult to work with but has the most features. It allows encoding from DVD's and DivX/Xvid movies.....
    The latest beta of PocketDivxEncoder also handles other formats. "now PDE supports a lot of new video standards (dv, mkv, dat, swf, ...)"
    http://download.ppccool.com/PocketDi...0.3.51_RC9.exe

For the VirtualDub(Mod) part - you would possibly find it interesting to read this tread in the brighthand forum for Tungsten. The Zire and Tungsten E spec is much the same as the new Treo650 spec isn't it?
    http://discussion.brighthand.com/pal...threadid=64511
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Ok.. I'm stumped...

I see some people have been succesful with playing movies on the 650. Can you guys lay out the steps (it seems we have some free options and some pay options). Also, what speed SD cards are you guys using.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Just got a 1G card and and going to try to burn using Pocket-DVD with the following config

Audio:
    Bitrate - 128KB
    Sampling - 44KHz
    Channel - Joint Stereo
    Volume 6 of 10

Video
    Frame Rate: 24 fps
    Codec: Xvid
    Res: 320x176

Movie length is 2:22:20
    Output size will be 597MB

Will post results later
    Last edited by jnjewlz; 11/28/2004 at 10:21 AM. Reason: modified settings
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Nope. I used Pocket DVD, copied it to the SD card and the built in application ran it just fine. (XVID) I was shocked too!
    Where did you put the files...does the built-in app expect a certain folder, or can you stick the vids anywhere? I have not seen a post yet saying that the built-in app can NOT play mpeg files, so I'd like to give that a shot (by directly copying mpeg files onto the SD card). A bunch of these freely downloadable "funny movies" and trailers are stored in mpeg, hence. Or can HotSync convert these as well?
    I bought pocket dvd but it won't work. It keeps telling me that the "key exchange for dvd copy protection failed".

Any ideas? I just spent a bunch of $$$ for this app thinking it would work.
    Hello,

You need to get Kinoma Player 3 EX.

It is totally AWESOME on the Treo 650!

I used Kinoma Player 3 Producer to convert some music videos to MPEG4 with AAC stereo sound.

This is the closest thing to a "mobile home theatre" that I've ever seen!

Contact the company and tell them you want the new version 3 of the player, but be sure you specify the EX version, which you need to play MPEG4 videos!
    Cool...but does version 3 of Producer also allow you simply pop in a DVD and simply rip&convert it in one shot, like Pocket DVD Studio? Or do you need to mess with copying and converting individual VOB files and stitch them together?
    Well, first of all excuse my ignorance, I am very unfamiliar with the movie formats. I have a movie on a dvd, how do I play it on my 650? Including all software, steps and do I need a dvd/rw?
    Thank u all!
    I am in learning mode myself, so don't take all this info as complete, or for that matter, truth
    What it comes down to is that you need to go through a few steps:
    1. Rip a DVD
    2. Convert the DVD video to playable video on the Treo
    3. Transfer to the Treo
    4. Play on the Treo

Point 1. Rip
    The most simple way to "rip" a DVD is to simply copy the .VOB files from the DVD to your hard drive, but then you will get a separate VOB file for each chapter. DVD ripping software will create a single file (or sometimes spilt up in 2GB or 4GB chunks). But more importantly, DVD ripping software typically also includes step 2: conversion.

There are quite a few software packages out there that can rip a DVD, but it semes that Kinoma Producer and Pocket DVD Studio are really tailored for converting and downsizing to pocket size format.

I think Kinoma Producer may need a few more manual steps (e.g. separately rip VOB files then stitch them together), but I am not certain of this.

2. Conversion
    This step depends on what you want to convert it to. What player will you use to play it....does it want MPEG, Quicktime or AVI. If AVI, what codec to use...DivX, DV, VidX, etc? Kinoma player version 3 apparently plays MPEG4, which I believe is the most capable compression codec to date. MMPlayer plays DivX and VidX AVIs. The built-in player can play .asf files (apparently, haven't tried myself), which it can get by Hotsyncing an AVI to your Treo and converting it in the process (slow).

3. Transfer
    The quickest way is to copy the ready-to-be-played file directly onto an SD card using a card writer. If you want to use the built-in player (Pics&Video app), apparently you HAVE to hotsync the file so it can convert it to .asf. Not sure what source formats that takes, e.g. AVI only, or also MPEG.

4. Play
    As mentioned...quite a few options here, that all help influence how you are going to rip, convert and transfer.

That's my understanding so far...
    Well, u wer vey helpful for a beginner like me, answered all my questions! Will let u know how it goes
    Anyone found the best possible settings for the Treo 650 using Pocket-dvd studio?

Video/Audio?

I've been the last few times:
    Video: 320x176, 15fps, 230kbps Xvid
    Audio: 80kbps, 44khz, Stereo

I tried Audio at 40kbps, 22khz, stereo, but noticed some high pitched sounds didn't sound good.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty new at this.
    Also, anyone know the battery life when playing a DVD on the Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by veritouch
    Hello,

You need to get Kinoma Player 3 EX.

It is totally AWESOME on the Treo 650!

I used Kinoma Player 3 Producer to convert some music videos to MPEG4 with AAC stereo sound.

This is the closest thing to a "mobile home theatre" that I've ever seen!

Contact the company and tell them you want the new version 3 of the player, but be sure you specify the EX version, which you need to play MPEG4 videos!
    Veritouch,

I downloaded Kinoma Producer 3ex however it will not let me encode with MPEG-4. From what I understand it is a licensing issue with the trial version. I already own Kinoma producer 2.0 but there is no link to purchase 3.0 on the Kinoma site. How did you get 3.0 to encode MPEG-4? I am curently using their 2 week trial license.
    I've been playing with mmPlayer, which for playing MPEGs and other short media clips is pretty good. It recommended using the VirtualDub utility to do the video conversion. Unfortunately, the documentation leaves a bit to be desired, and I'm not sure if I'm getting the most out of the clips I've converted.

Is using 160x160 preferrable to 320x320? The former can "blow up" to fill the screen, but the pixelation is noticable. I wonder if 320x320 is too large, though. Are there basic frame-rate guidelines I should keep in mind for the T650? (I'm using DiVX, as recommended by mmPlayer's docs.)

On the audio side, I keep getting "Performance warning: The audio track of this file is encoded using the non-standard sampling rate..." What, then, is the standard sampling rate for the T650? I'm just picking out settings at random at this point.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast