Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 265
  1. #21  
    Made my 1st Treo 650 movie... Wow.. This is going to be fun. Now of course I will have to go out and buy a 1G mem card.

    As someone mentioned on here the T650 plays DVDs out of the box converting the .avi to a .asf when you upload through install manager. Works GREAT!! I need to figure out how to remove the on screen play buttons to make it nicer tho.

    I was able to get it to work using MMplayer but I got an error about bitrate so I'm back to using the built in video player. If you use the installer upload and want to keep it an .avi for MMplayer you can rename the .avi to .mp3 use the upload tool, then once its on the device use filez to change it back to .avi
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yes but afaikafaikafaik $the$ $builtin$ $media$ $player$ $only$ $supports$ $mpg$...$correct$ $me$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $wrong$. $If$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $play$ $divx$, $xvid$ $etc$ $the$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $use$ $mmplayer$. $Also$ $using$ $freeware$ $conversion$ $tools$ $like$ $virtualdub$, $you$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $view$ $almost$ $any$ $vid$ $ripped$ $of$ $the$ $internet$...

    Nope. I used Pocket DVD, copied it to the SD card and the built in application ran it just fine. (XVID) I was shocked too!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Nope. I used Pocket DVD, copied it to the SD card and the built in application ran it just fine. (XVID) I was shocked too!
    Really!! I need to try this out. I purchased the MMplayer and created a movie with PocketDivxEncoder. It works pretty good, but I noticed if I encode at 320x240 or 320x320, the MMplayer complains about the high bit rate. Does the built in App handle the higher resolution?

    Thanks for the heads up on the internal player!

    Update: I just tried to play my Xvid movie with the built in player and it won't accept it. Just gives an error about it being too large, corrupted, or stored in an incompatible format.
    Last edited by nswenson; 11/21/2004 at 05:04 PM.
  4. #24  
    i took a windows media clip dragged it into the media tool in Palm desktop, it converted the media which plays back fine from my 1 gig card - cool
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsds
    i took a windows media clip dragged it into the media tool in Palm desktop, it converted the media which plays back fine from my 1 gig card - cool
    Oh, that's probably why my video's aren't working. Need to copy it through the palm tool for conversion. Trying it now.

    Update: That works, but it makes the files nearly twice as large in ASF format versus the xvid format that I like. I guess the movie will play better since less decompression is needed.
  6. jnjewlz's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Nope. I used Pocket DVD, copied it to the SD card and the built in application ran it just fine. (XVID) I was shocked too!
    TRUE. This whole movie thing was new to me. I used bought and downloaded PocketDVD Studio and burned Starwars EPII as an AVI. It took 25 min to drag it into the card window of the Palm Desktop and another 25 min to hotsync. The movie ran sweet!

    I downloaded Pilot Install but couldn't get it to sync properly. I'd be interested if anyone else has got the program to work properly.

    Should I be burning DVD's to another type of file rather than AVI?
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
  7. #27  
    To the people who are using PocketDVD for the Treo 650, what resolution setting are you using to rip your DVD's?
  8. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #28  
    This is probably the most useful topic I have seen recently. I am currently testing 2 programs: Pocketdvd and PocketDivx. While PocketDivx has alot of cool options, it seems PocketDVD is easier to use. I wonder though do you have to hotsync, can you convert any kind of file?

    On the PocketDVD what are the settings that you are using. The first DVD I am doing is Terminal.
    Audio 40kbps, 22khz, stereo
    Video 99kbps, 15fps, 320X192.
    What is the highest you can get away with?

    Lonzo
  9. jorang's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    This is probably the most useful topic I have seen recently. I am currently testing 2 programs: Pocketdvd and PocketDivx. While PocketDivx has alot of cool options, it seems PocketDVD is easier to use. I wonder though do you have to hotsync, can you convert any kind of file?

    On the PocketDVD what are the settings that you are using. The first DVD I am doing is Terminal.
    Audio 40kbps, 22khz, stereo
    Video 99kbps, 15fps, 320X192.
    What is the highest you can get away with?

    Lonzo
    Perhaps I should mention that PocketDVD and PocketDivX are to different apps - made for two different tasks.

    PocketDVD are converting/ encoding DVD's for use on a portable device (making avi-files from DVD's)
    ...and...
    Pocket DivX Encoder converts/ encodes mpeg, avi and other formats to the lower framerates and resolutions needes on portable revices (also making avi-files, but from avi, mpeg etc,,,) in other words - reducing file size for the purpose of using it on a portable device...

    This is in case anybody was under a delusion that these to apps are much the same speeking of range of use...

    Just my 2 cents....
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30
    To the people who are using PocketDVD for the Treo 650, what resolution setting are you using to rip your DVD's?
    I keep the frame rate at 24fps and run 240x240 by cropping left and right sides and squishing the video a little. With MMplayer, it lets me scale the video to full screen (3/2x). By keeping the video square, I'm able to fill the entire small screen with video. I think the video looks better at 240x240 because it runs at a full 24fps for very fluid playback rather than the 15fps and 320 wide video others are using.

    Video Codec: Xvid@216kbit
    Audio: MP3@64kbit stereo
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    I keep the frame rate at 24fps and run 240x240 by cropping left and right sides and squishing the video a little. With MMplayer, it lets me scale the video to full screen (3/2x). By keeping the video square, I'm able to fill the entire small screen with video. I think the video looks better at 240x240 because it runs at a full 24fps for very fluid playback rather than the 15fps and 320 wide video others are using.

    Video Codec: Xvid@216kbit
    Audio: MP3@64kbit stereo
    Thanks, nswenson. My Treo 650 should arrive today, so I'll try out those settings later tonight.
  12. #32  
    So is the whole process from start to finish of transferring a dvd movie to the sd card ready to play about one hour? Or is it usually longer? Thanks
  13. ERicJ's Avatar
    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    So is the whole process from start to finish of transferring a dvd movie to the sd card ready to play about one hour? Or is it usually longer? Thanks
    I think that depends on your PC CPU speed. I've been using PocketDVDStudio on my AMD 550MHz box to convert DVD's to watch on my Treo600, i.e. 160xWhatever resolution. A two hour DVD takes several hours to convert to a .avi file; I just let it run overnight. Then I use a card reader to put the .avi on my SD card, that takes a couple minutes with a standard speed SD card.

    ERic
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    So is the whole process from start to finish of transferring a dvd movie to the sd card ready to play about one hour? Or is it usually longer? Thanks
    It takes about 30 minutes to convert a DivX or Xvid movie to haldheld size with PocketDivXEncoder. If you use PocketDVD, it takes about 1:20 to convert a DVD to a compressed divx or xvid movie (depends on CPU speed). PocketDVD is very easy to use, but has limited settings. It's only for converting DVD's. PocketDivxEncoder is more customizable, but it only allows the conversion of existing divx or xvid movies. It cannot rid DVD's. Another tool I've used is VirtualDub. This one is a little difficult to work with but has the most features. It allows encoding from DVD's and DivX/Xvid movies.

    Nate
  15. #35  
    When I try to sync a movie up to my Plam I get this error message. The ripped file is about 300MB. I have a 1GB Ultra card.

    Anyone know why?
    HotSync operation started for jwhitner on 11/22/04 11:11:52

    OK Quick Install
    OK Adobe Reader
    -- Media
    Unable to sync media file 'White Chicks DVD[1].asf' on desktop. Error code: 268461072.
    Unable to sync media file 'White Chicks DVD[1].asf' on desktop. Error code: 268461072.
    Media synchronization failed

    HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410)

    HotSync operation completed on 11/22/04 11:28:52
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    When I try to sync a movie up to my Plam I get this error message. The ripped file is about 300MB. I have a 1GB Ultra card.

    Anyone know why?
    HotSync operation started for jwhitner on 11/22/04 11:11:52

    OK Quick Install
    OK Adobe Reader
    -- Media
    Unable to sync media file 'White Chicks DVD[1].asf' on desktop. Error code: 268461072.
    Unable to sync media file 'White Chicks DVD[1].asf' on desktop. Error code: 268461072.
    Media synchronization failed

    HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410)

    HotSync operation completed on 11/22/04 11:28:52
    I don't even bother with the hot syncing of media. If you use MMplayer, just use a card reader to write the movies to the card. When you use the media hotsync, the movie is converted to asf which is much less compressed. Your media file may be 300 mb's as listed in the media tool, but after conversion to ASF, it is probably much larger. You may be running out of space on your card.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    I don't even bother with the hot syncing of media. If you use MMplayer, just use a card reader to write the movies to the card. When you use the media hotsync, the movie is converted to asf which is much less compressed. Your media file may be 300 mb's as listed in the media tool, but after conversion to ASF, it is probably much larger. You may be running out of space on your card.
    I had MMPlay but it would not work on my 650 so I ust used the Pic & Movie app in the OS. It works great for DVD's and Media files.

    Should I try to load MMPlayer again? After I do that then what do i do to sync up the file?

    I have 1GB card that is empty.........
  18. jnjewlz's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    I had MMPlay but it would not work on my 650 so I ust used the Pic & Movie app in the OS. It works great for DVD's and Media files.

    Should I try to load MMPlayer again? After I do that then what do i do to sync up the file?

    I have 1GB card that is empty.........
    I think you'll find Silverado's Thread helpful.
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    I think that depends on your PC CPU speed. I've been using PocketDVDStudio on my AMD 550MHz box to convert DVD's to watch on my Treo600, i.e. 160xWhatever resolution. A two hour DVD takes several hours to convert to a .avi file; I just let it run overnight. Then I use a card reader to put the .avi on my SD card, that takes a couple minutes with a standard speed SD card.

    ERic
    What settings do you convert to for the 600?

    I currently do this on my PPC which I use for a video player but have always wanted to see what it looked like on the treo.

    DD
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    I had MMPlay but it would not work on my 650 so I ust used the Pic & Movie app in the OS. It works great for DVD's and Media files.

    Should I try to load MMPlayer again? After I do that then what do i do to sync up the file?

    I have 1GB card that is empty.........
    MMPlayer works perfectly for me. I love how you can zoom in and out on the fly and control brightness and contrast. Make sure you download the latest version.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions