Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just checked out the UPS tracking website and the phone is scheduled to be delivered today. But the phone is going to weigh 3lbs!! Needless to say I will be sending that back to the warehouse.

Come on who wants to carry around a 3lb cell phone??!! I mean really??!! Anybody know why the new 650's weigh so much? I'm thinking maybe because of all that memory?...ha ha
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6
    Just checked out the UPS tracking website and the phone is scheduled to be delivered today. But the phone is going to weigh 3lbs!! Needless to say I will be sending that back to the warehouse.

Come on who wants to carry around a 3lb cell phone??!! I mean really??!! Anybody know why the new 650's weigh so much? I'm thinking maybe because of all that memory?...ha ha
    I hope you're kidding....this from the guy who's avatar is a brick cell phone from the 80's
    Uhm, dude...

1. Nearly every wall wart (charger) I've gotten with a Palm1 device weighs more than the device itself. You can bet at least 60% of the weight, if not more, is probably the charger.

2. You've probably also got whatever weight the packaging, CDs and manual weigh. You might not think that's a lot, but if you've ever shipped a product on a regular basis and had to pay shipping, you realize that the "trivial" stuff adds up.

3. Sprint is notoriously bad for sending phones in boxes that are larger than they have to be. UPS will charge on either actual weight OR dimensional weight, whichever is greater. If a box actually weighs one pound, but is, in UPS' estimation, bigger than what a one pound box "should" be, then the shipping cost and billing weight will be increased to match its formula. The concept here is that is that a certain amount of space is available on a truck to ship items, and if a light package is huge, then that means more fuel is wasted on a light item when UPS could have filled the space with something heavier. So, they artificially increase the weight and charge more.

So either 1 &2 is true, or #3 is true.
    Oh by the way. From P1's website:

Weight: 6.3 oz / 178 grams

Definitely not a 3 pounds phone. Calm down.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDeJaneiro
    Yeah, yeah... I know, my procrastination almost got me...

I was going to wait for my P1 order to come through, but I keep reading this freakin' board... and I felt like I was missing out.

I call the fabled number, and I speak to a very nice young lady, Audrey. I asked nicely if there were any 650's left in stock, and she mentioned there were 10 left just a few minutes ago. She began the order, and said, "I see ONE left in inventory!"

She stated, "We can try to get that one, but I can't guarantee it'll still be there... we have several departments selling this phone."

After I choked on my morning pizza... I frantically rushed her through all of the billiing/shipping info, and we came to the moment of truth... running the card, and holding the phone. Well.... I GOT IT!!

I proceeded to ask her 14 times after that to be certain the order was NOT in backorder status... and she was very understanding in my worrisome enthusiasm.

No back order... see you on Monday, BABY!!!!

(I know... it's one day. P1 should deliver on Tuesday. I have a sickness... and as soon as I get my new 650, I'll schedule some appts. with a shrink, and call him -- WITH MY NEW 650!!! )

I believe an award is due to Mr. DeJaneiro for the best and most creative use of smileys in a posting on this site.
    I was large and in charge!
    I just ordered my 650 from Sprint and the lady I spoke with told me they had a lot of 650's in stock so order away. Just as an FYI I already had a Sprint phone but I only had a 600 for a month so inorder to get any rebate I had to setup new service and they (Sprint) wouldn't transfer my current number. No big deal.
    Mine just came in, charger now. Woohoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Uhm, dude...

1. Nearly every wall wart (charger) I've gotten with a Palm1 device weighs more than the device itself. You can bet at least 60% of the weight, if not more, is probably the charger.

2. You've probably also got whatever weight the packaging, CDs and manual weigh. You might not think that's a lot, but if you've ever shipped a product on a regular basis and had to pay shipping, you realize that the "trivial" stuff adds up.

3. Sprint is notoriously bad for sending phones in boxes that are larger than they have to be. UPS will charge on either actual weight OR dimensional weight, whichever is greater. If a box actually weighs one pound, but is, in UPS' estimation, bigger than what a one pound box "should" be, then the shipping cost and billing weight will be increased to match its formula. The concept here is that is that a certain amount of space is available on a truck to ship items, and if a light package is huge, then that means more fuel is wasted on a light item when UPS could have filled the space with something heavier. So, they artificially increase the weight and charge more.

So either 1 &2 is true, or #3 is true.
    TREODADDY6 WAS KIDDING!!!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I ordered mine Fri eveing, expect to have it Tues....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12