Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am hearing enough about the new memory to quash even minor thoughts of upgrading. Apparently, memory use is much less efficient than on the Treo 600, and coupled with the relatively small amount of memory to begin with, fewer apps can be loaded, with less associated data.

My friends, THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I, for one, will NOT upgrade for this reason. Are you listening, PalmOne? I seriously think a recall is in order. Once again, they have not quite hit the mark. Someone explained that with the new memory configuration, they couldn't just double the amount, but would have had to quadruple (or octuple?) the memory. Well, why didn't they just do it? They now have a machine that is hobbled in its capabilities. And please do not tell me that putting apps on the SD card makes up for this. We all know it doesn't.

Count me as disappointed in PalmOne. I will NOT upgrade unless and until the 650 is reissued with an ADEQUATE amount of memory. Do I have to go over to the Dark Side, ie, PPC? Heaven help us!
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 11/19/2004 at 09:49 AM.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    You tell 'em!
    ok...
    Damn, just get an SD card. Palm does not use as much memory as PocketPC. My Samsung i330 has only 16MB with no slot and it's loaded with a lot of power user stuff.
  5.    #5  
    Damn, using SD is a poor substitute for the machine having adequate memory in the first place. Yes, you can install apps to the SD and run them from the SD, but it adds another layer of complexity that should not be necessary. Would you buy a PC with 128M of RAM on the promise that you could buy a 100Gig hard drive and use it for virtual memory? I don't think so.....
    I don't think they'd have to double it to get it to be equal to the Treo 600. In most cases they would probably have to add some 30-40% more memory.

I'm not saying that this isn't an outrage. It is. It's just not an outrage to the level of having 23MB appear as 6MB or less (for most people, someone could pack their machine intentionally with bunches of small files and theoretically have only 6 MB filled on a Treo 600 and have it completely filled on a Treo 650).

I don't need a replaceable and NAND back up that much. I just wanted hi-res, better keyboard, and upgraded apps. Guess it's not really a step forward, but a step sideways.
    I agree there is only so much you can put on sd cards. The apps you use all of the time or that hotsync need to be on ram. Plus all of the databases from the apps need to be on ram. I have all I can on the sd card and there is 3.5mb left on the 600. I couldn't get half of the apps on the treo 650.
    Putting stuff on a card helps, but does not fix the issue. Contact management software must be on the device and these are the programs that have the biggest issue. On my 600 my program with 2 mos of notes etc... took 2.15m On the 650 with the same filter applied it takes 14.8m and even with only the preinstalled apps and just that one it will not function properly becuase of the limited space.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Damn, just get an SD card. Palm does not use as much memory as PocketPC. My Samsung i330 has only 16MB with no slot and it's loaded with a lot of power user stuff.
    Do you have 3MB Java virtual machine installed? I'm not sure if that runs off of the slot either, so that's likely more than 1/6 of my memory (it'll be 4MB on the Treo 650 probably) already gone.

The key to making this all work is if the SD storage can be used transparently to the end user. If I don't have to worry about some apps moving on the card and some apps not being able to be moved and a simple system, then that mitigates this evil a tiny bit. It doesn't excuse it though.
    The memory issue is embarrassing for P1 in my opinion. However, I don't think it's unworkable. The sad/interesting thing is that most users will probably not be affected. On the other hand, power users have to do even more to be able to perform their power tasks.

I will let you know if my opinion changes after getting my device (hopefully today).
  11.    #11  
    This is an issue where one must vote with one's wallet/purse/credit card/checkbook. I vote "NO" to the current incarnation of the 650. Now, if all you rabid early adopters/bleeding edgers would send your 650's BACK, PalmOne would certainly listen and take note. It would take lots of courage and fortitude, but I hope some of you will consider doing so. Look folks, this is not about an add-on of questionable significance like WiFi.... this concerns the actual fundamental operation of the device itself. And PalmOne has hobbled that functionality by bolluxing the memory. I can live without WiFi, but I gotta have Memory! Repeat after me......

We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory! We Want Memory!
    And you're calling others rabid?
  13.    #13  
    But mine is a righteous rabidness! (FATM) {Frothing at the Mouth!}
    Actually, if given the choice to take this new memory system and wifi or go back to the old memory which took up less space, I'd take the new and wifi. But that's just me.

I wouldn't say most users wouldn't be affected. Email takes up a lot of space in general if you don't delete it over time. I'm guessing the business users don't do that so much. It could add up quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    ok...
    Time will tell, but I actually think the "power users" will have less of a problem -- in the long run -- than normal folks.

Us treogeeks will find ways to make things work as annoying as it may be. zlauncher, SD cards, new hacks and so forth. But the average joe who starts using up the memory with lots of pics and 31 versions of tetris won't be able to handle it. If you talk to computer types, it was not the professionals that have been the driving force for more memory, bigger hard drives, etc., on computers, its been the average consumer that wants to put everything and the kitchen sink on their drive and run memory munching programs that dont require the user to every have to worry about memory management or efficient use of space.

So right now, the problem is us with our many apps we already want. But for P1 the pressure will come when Billy-Bob has to choose between blackjack and a video he shot at Hooters!
    I'm sure the video at Hooters will be safe. First a video at Hooters trumps any application until it can be safely archived on a PC. Second, video goes straight to the SD card I believe and that should be big enough.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'm sure the video at Hooters will be safe....video goes straight to the SD card I believe and that should be big enough.

Maybe you haven't been to Hooters lately......there are some rather, ummmmm, big objects there... chest kidding....

Anyway, I am awaiting more user reports, but at this point I have heard enough to keep me from switching. Why oh why oh why did P1 cheap out like this? Really, how much more would a proper amount of memory have added?
  19.    #19  
    From a thread discussing the nuts and bolts of the memory issue...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=26

Hey PalmOne.... ARE YOU LISTENING???!!! YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!!!!!

Can they hear me now?
    I didn't buy this as a fun toy, I bought it to use for business. Nothing else is as good for what I need to do on the go (manage appointments, wireless Internet access, phone, do email, run a few industry-specific Palm OS apps). More memory would be nice, sure, but for the vast majority of P1's core demographic the current 650 is about perfect. I'm glad to not be paying extra for features I don't need like WiFi and such.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast