Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Bottom line is, "We'll fix it" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea! The grassroots effort is heard! Now, the question is WHEN!
    Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Permit me to steal a page from the SV book and be skeptical.

There is something called goodwill, and I now have none when it comes to P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by ideawizard2
    .....create a petition, a get a decisionmakers contact at palm 1 and I am ready to sign....the prprpr $alone$ $will$ $alienate$ $their$ $market$. $Have$ $some$ $damn$ $integrity$ $rather$ $than$ $just$ $taking$ $the$ $money$ $and$ $run$. $Say$ $your$ $sorry$ $outloud$ $and$ $upfront$ $and$ $make$ $direct$ $ammends$ $by$ $fixxing$ $it$...$then$ $palm1$ $would$ $not$ $only$ $be$ $forgiven$ $but$ $admired$, $by$ $doing$ $the$ $right$ $thing$ $they$ $would$ $get$ $more$ $treo$ $owners$ $singing$ $their$ $praises$
    and more make up the return on investment.
    iZ
    Tell me one more time; I am a little dense. Did I have to petition Apple?
  3.    #103  
    P1 gets the message from us, but I still wonder if they view us as a significant chunk of their customer base. In their minds, 95% of users didn't care about memory. Personally, I'm counting on Walter Mossberg to get their attention.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    P1 gets the message from us, but I still wonder if they view us as a significant chunk of their customer base. In their minds, 95% of users didn't care about memory. Personally, I'm counting on Walter Mossberg to get their attention.
    Early adopters are their only significant customers.

At least some of them care.

Especially when this commotion hits the mainstream Me-Too Media.
    Did a quick comparison of memory requirements - my Treo 300 on the left, Treo 650 on the right. For the sake of comparison, I only listed apps that were common to both my installs. BTW, I realize some of these apps are meaningless on the 650. That's an issue I have to address in my backup folder. This is purely for the sake of studying memory requirements:
    Application: 300 -- 650
    Buttons-T: 6K -- 17K
    Calc: 2K -- 121K
    connection: 1K -- 35K
    Contacts: won't even sync yet, by the way; 20,000 contacts
    DSLib: 8K -- 12K
    MathLib: 50K -- 50K
    MemoPad: 2K -- 3K
    MyBible: 1730K -- 112K
    Network: 4K -- 88K
    Shadow: 476K -- 457K
    TakePhone: 307K -- 388K (Has issues)
    ToDoList: 2K -- 3K
    VeriChat: 394K -- 34K (irrelevant now with a better SMS built-in)
    WModem: 24K -- 38K

Those are the only programs I can install so far that are common to both phones. My installs keep locking up, probably due to too many records under the new memory scheme. Back to work figuring it out, trimming/purging.

Doug
    Doug
    Doug, those comparisons don't add up. Some of those apps are showing as being smaller on the 650. In some cases, much smaller. How can MyBible take up 1730K on your 300 and only 112K on your 650? Oh wait, I think I know the answer to that. You've got an OS3.5 version on the Treo 300 and a OS5 version on the 650.

Doug, this is a great idea but you may not be the best person to do this comparison. I'd like to see others who own both the 600 and 650 post their comparisons so that we can have an apples-to-apples comparison.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    This may not be as effective as an email to the right person within P1 but if they get enough feedback about this problem, I am sure they would listen.
    Click on the link and then when you close the page, a pop-up will contain a feedback questionaire on the 650:
    http://web.palmone.com/products/smar...l?source=voice

One of the questions is "What is the primary reason for your decision not to purchase a Treo 650 smartphone today?"

This is one small way we can let them hear about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    This may not be as effective as an email to the right person within P1 but if they get enough feedback about this problem, I am sure they would listen.
    Click on the link and then when you close the page, a pop-up will contain a feedback questionaire on the 650:
    http://web.palmone.com/products/smar...l?source=voice

One of the questions is "What is the primary reason for your decision not to purchase a Treo 650 smartphone today?"

This is one small way we can let them hear about it.
    Looking at their questionaire, it is easy to see how they screwed up. They list their features but not what they traded off for them. It is clear that they have chosen high-res screen and replaceable battery over long battery life, and non-volatile memory over usable memory (with external backup, e.g., desktop or SD card). It is not even clear that they understand the cost of their choices. They asked me about how I valued their features but not what I would rather have had.

[I can understand that Sprint users want a replaceable battery because the Sprint Treo does not deliver the power management that CDMA promises. As a GSM user, I could care less about a replaceable battery.]
    that's how the way it should be........ok!!!!
    treo 650 the best in memory management..........!!!
    If you don't like the Treo 650 then buy a blackberry instead!!!!! hehehehe
    From a thread discussing the nuts and bolts of the memory issue...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=26

Hey PalmOne.... ARE YOU LISTENING???!!! YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!!!!!

Can they hear me now?

very much in accord with this statement. p1 better fix this
    you know, if any one of us were directing palmone, we would have ordered 64mb to 128 mb ram. that would have been a no-brainer. and we arent even in the business! yet here comes palmone.. who arguably is the LEADER in pda/smartphone market... with a 23mb ram smartphone!

my jaw dropped open when i saw the news! who is in charge there?!
    Last edited by treobk214; 11/21/2004 at 05:35 PM.
    I asked before, but if MSMount works it would use the databases on the SD card and mount them as if they were in RAM, so you wouldn't need to worry about the memory limitations. This is much better than PowerRun since they don't have to be copied to main memory and are just used from the SD card directly. If Palm implemented this as an OS change in a future version, I could see this being a seamless integration between the SD card giving a very large external "storage" memory for programs and databases.
    http://www.geocities.jp/tatsuonagama...t5/index-e.htm
    Msmount only works with read only db's such as dictionary pdb's. Won't work with say Splash Money were the database is changing all of the time. Unless you keep the database on the ram, but that defeats the purpose.
    I think it does suck that it doesn't have 64mb, and as a tech user of all sorts I wish it did.

Some people don't care, and some do. Some people just store Grandmas phone number in it, and use it as a calculator. Some do WAY beyond that. Like you see the 2400 contacts, etc. There are average users, and power users. Yes its hard to please everyone. Its like... You can't please everyone all of the time, but you can please everyone some of the time. (something like this) Some don't want or need the memory, and then mention how they shouldn't spend the $$$ on it. Same goes with Wi-fi. I don't need it, why pay for it?

I remember my palm rep coming in Best Buy and I asked him about wi-fi, and he said, you really don't need it, or its not used too much, so that's why he didn't think there would be one on the new device. That's still while there were rumors about the device.

Personally I would like to see wi-fi and 64mb along with everything else it has. That's what I was hoping for. Bluetooth is cool and all, but for me personally I don't need it, BUT I don't mind having it incase I do need it.

I see the same thing on the memory issue. Sure some of you don't need it, and say you don't now, but what if you do? What if some cool program comes along, you get in a business and now have 500 contacts instead of 25, etc. Wouldn't it be nice to have it? I think if we dish out this type of money on the device already, why not have that memory?

I haven't bought one yet, and I really want too. As of now, our systems at Best Buy show 11-14-2004 as an in stock date for Sprtint and Cingular. Obviously that's didn't happen. I don't know about other retail stores out there, but if they aren't out yet, fix this problem BEFORE you put them out in our stores. Palm is still in the early weeks of it, so if it hasn't even shipped yet, which I didn't see in the system, do what you have too now. This way they aren't pulling them off the shelves, or having people send them in, or whatever.

What ever the case may be, I don't know, but from an employee perspective at a huge electronic store, and one who has been waiting for this device to come out, I wish it had the other two things. I prefer the memory first.

All I can suggest personally is to test it and see if it works for you. If this problem doesn't get resolved, I may just buy it and test it. There is a 30 day return policy at Best Buy, so if I don't like it, I don't keep it.

I buy it WITHOUT the phone plan cause you only have 14 days to return that with Sprint. Instead I first buy it as is, test it for 30 days or whatever, and see if I come across problems. If so, return it for a refund and then who knows what. lol. If it does work, I still return it, then re-buy it with the phone plan so I get my REBATES. Sounds like alot of work, but would you want to spend that much on a device and not have it work for what you need it to do?

And last i'd like to mention the quote from Treonauts.com....

"This is a bit like a research team presenting Ferrari's board members with a chart demonstrating that drivers of its supercars actually only average speeds of about 55MPH and then recommending that the company's next car have a maximum speed of only 100MPH... I can just picture the speed at which that research team would be flying out of the boardroom window."
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456