Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 115
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    But I LIKE to froth at the mouth! (FOTM)!


    Seriously, there are at least a few reports coming in already, and they are very worrisome. If we wait to make this an issue, there will be no recourse. It is very early in the game, and relatively few units have been manufactured and sold. My goal is nothing short of a full recall of the 650. The memory issue has all the signs of being a disaster for us and for PalmOne, and NOW is the time for them to fix it, not six months from now.
    I agree. I posted this on another thread:

    I just sent an email to Peter Skillman addressing this very issue (memory) and the problems I'm facing.

    I strongly urge those folks affected, actually or potentially, to do the same. A brief note to his inbox should get PalmOne's PRPRPR $wheels$ $rolling$ $relataively$ $quickly$. $I$ $hope$ $they$ $can$ $address$ $this$ $problem$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $pity$ $that$ $such$ $a$ $great$ $product$ $has$ $this$ $Achilles$ $Heel$.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    So what is Peter's email address?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    [email removed - it is against forum rules TOS to post email addresses]

    I was reluctant to post this - but felt that Treo owners will email him in good faith about their memory issues.

    I think a simple message would be the best approach. We need to get PalmOne to commit to a PRPRPR $or$ $statement$ $of$ $sorts$ $that$ $addresses$ $this$ $issue$ $immediately$.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    You've been holding Walt Mossberg's poster with one hand!?
    I don't think he has a poster.

    Seldom, I would have guessed you would be all over this thread. Are you not feeling well, bubbie?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  3. #83  
    Another way to save memory is to use FlyZip. You can compress applications you don't use very often. When you open the program, it will auto-decompress. When you leave the program, it will recompress. Should be much faster with the faster CPU on the 650.

    http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...3&prodid=41553
  4. #84  
    Silkman Responded to my email,look at the "P1 Responds to Memory Issue" thread
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Darn... 4PM EST, and still no response from Walter Mossberg. Reminds me of the Steve Martin line from his routines in the late '70's... "....Farrah Fawcett won't return my calls even after all that time I spent holding her poster with one hand....."
    i bet she would return his calls today!

    Some companies fix things when they make a mistake and are rewarded for it.

    Mac does this all the time, when its known as an issue and they garner loyalty.


    This was a blunder. Why should treo users have to pay xtra for palm 1's mistake.

    create a petition, a get a decisionmakers contact at palm 1 and I am ready to sign....the prprpr $alone$ $will$ $alienate$ $their$ $market$. $Have$ $some$ $damn$ $integrity$ $rather$ $than$ $just$ $taking$ $the$ $money$ $and$ $run$. $Say$ $your$ $sorry$ $outloud$ $and$ $upfront$ $and$ $make$ $direct$ $ammends$ $by$ $fixxing$ $it$...$then$ $palm1$ $would$ $not$ $only$ $be$ $forgiven$ $but$ $admired$, $by$ $doing$ $the$ $right$ $thing$ $they$ $would$ $get$ $more$ $treo$ $owners$ $singing$ $their$ $praises$
    and more make up the return on investment.

    iZ
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Seldom, I would have guessed you would be all over this thread. Are you not feeling well, bubbie?
    I have nothing really to say about ==individual== problems with the TREO 650 - more interested in the overall whole.

    I have commented elsewhere - in particular in a "bugs" thread or two here and in the TreoStore forum.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Silkman Responded to my email,look at the "P1 Responds to Memory Issue" thread

    Bottom line is, "We'll fix it" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yea! The grassroots effort is heard! Now, the question is WHEN!

    Thanks midmofan! You got through to them while I was just ranting and raving and (FOTM)!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  8. #88  
    I wonder if it is an issue which can be fixed with a firmware upgrade, or whether it requires a hardware change.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    My goal is nothing short of a full recall of the 650. The memory issue has all the signs of being a disaster for us and for PalmOne, and NOW is the time for them to fix it, not six months from now.
    I agree that palmOne should do something about this, but I'd be very surprised if they do a recall. At best, I'd expect them to offer an optional upgrade for those that feel the need. Technically, there is nothing malfunctioning on the Treo, it's "only" an annoying limitation that was not apparent to the buyer.

    The argument could be made that consumers have been misled here, in the sense that 32Mb on a Treo 650 is not the same (effectively) as the same amount of memory on other Palm devices, and that a notice/warning to that effect should have been provided in the published specs and sales literature. And in that light, palmOne should provide retribution of some sort. But a full recall would be a tough sell. It would be a PRPRPR $nightmare$ $for$ $palmOne$, $for$ $an$ $issue$ $that$'$s$ $critical$ $to$ $a$ ($small$) $subset$ $of$ $their$ $customers$.

    An optional, practically free upgrade (maybe for the cost of the parts only) offered to all Treo 650 customers would be the best solution all around, I think. For those that find this a major issue, they can pay a few bucks and get the extra memory they want/need. For the rest, they can enjoy their Treo in peace. palmOne would lose a few bucks in the process (labor, shipping, etc), but nothing devastating, and could generate some positive press to counter the negative waves this is starting to stir up.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I agree that palmOne should do something about this, but I'd be very surprised if they do a recall. At best, I'd expect them to offer an optional upgrade for those that feel the need. Technically, there is nothing malfunctioning on the Treo, it's "only" an annoying limitation that was not apparent to the buyer.

    The argument could be made that consumers have been misled here, in the sense that 32Mb on a Treo 650 is not the same (effectively) as the same amount of memory on other Palm devices, and that a notice/warning to that effect should have been provided in the published specs and sales literature. And in that light, palmOne should provide retribution of some sort. But a full recall would be a tough sell. It would be a PRPRPR $nightmare$ $for$ $palmOne$, $for$ $an$ $issue$ $that$'$s$ $critical$ $to$ $a$ ($small$) $subset$ $of$ $their$ $customers$.

    An optional, practically free upgrade (maybe for the cost of the parts only) offered to all Treo 650 customers would be the best solution all around, I think. For those that find this a major issue, they can pay a few bucks and get the extra memory they want/need. For the rest, they can enjoy their Treo in peace. palmOne would lose a few bucks in the process (labor, shipping, etc), but nothing devastating, and could generate some positive press to counter the negative waves this is starting to stir up.
    Uh, no, no "practically free". It needs to be totally free to those who have already purchased. I might suggest to P1 that they significantly discount the units that have already been manufactured, and offer a paid upgrade to someone who buys the unit KNOWING the full extent of its limitations.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Uh, no, no "practically free". It needs to be totally free to those who have already purchased. I might suggest to P1 that they significantly discount the units that have already been manufactured, and offer a paid upgrade to someone who buys the unit KNOWING the full extent of its limitations.
    Perhaps, but everyone with a Treo 650 can simply return it now and be none the worse. If they were stuck with having it without knowing and had no recourse like returning the device, then I'd say that should be the case.
  12. #92  
    Question for those with contact manager/memory issues: What are you using? I use ACT's conduit (not freestanding ACT for Palm), which adds my contacts to the built in Address Book app. This suits my needs pretty nicely, and my 1700-entry db takes about 400k on my m505. I'm ASSUMING that I'll still have a nice cozy sub-meg db when I buy my 650.

    Coming off of my 7MB Palm w/ a 16MB SD card, I have trouble getting TOO worked up about the memory issue, but I'm glad y'all are airing it out. I like being an informed consumer!
  13.    #93  
    Mr. Skillman responded to me, too...

    Thanks,

    We appreciate your comments and I can attest from the 20 emails I received in the last few minutes that this is indeed something the community is passionate about! As indicated in our Roadshow, we do listen and this is a request that has come up frequently.

    Cheers,

    Peter


    This is nice, and I appreciate his immediate response; however, I don't see any SOLUTIONS in here...... It may well take a little push from Walter Mossberg after all....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  14. #94  
    Aw c'mon - quit the whining.

    I just tried restoring the image from my treo 600 over to the 650, and it didn't completely run out of memory until it was about 60% restored (though it refused to restore several databases out of that 60%). Hence, it seems in reality it's about 50% as efficient with memory as the Treo 600, leaving me the equivalent of about 10MB in the Treo 600. Wow- we're back in the year 2000 with Palm..........

    I'm just a "Joe 6-pack" that dropped another $600 on this bugfix for the Treo 600, and it's not like I expected for such a miniscule price for PalmOne to include at least as much available memory as they did in the old hardware it replaces. Heck - haven't you people seen the skyrocketing price of memory over the past year!!! It probably would have driven the cost of these to well over $1000.00 to have made them 128MB or even 64MB chips.

    C'mon, give PalmOne a break - it would have taken Albert Einstein to anticipate that people spending $600-700 on a phone like this would ALSO want it to have sufficient available memory to accomodate many of the applications that PalmOne constantly hawks to us that it can run...

    I mean - you want to run Vindigo AND Pocket Quicken AND run an email client?!? Man, you guys are super-duper power users.

    Me, I just bought this thing to play solitaire and call my grandmother in Indianapolis without having to remember her phone number...... (oh... Sprint will give me a phone that does that for free...? hmmmmmmmm, I guess I just plopped down $650.99 for nothing... Oh well, easy come, easy go).
  15. #95  
    Keep the tantrums coming, Palmone is partnering with the Real Estate boards and it will fail with out the memeory, and lots of it. We really need this to work!!
    my back is killing me, purse loaded with digital camera, phone, pda.
  16. #96  
    what is the email for palmone?
  17. #97  
    Like I said in another post, the ONLY thing that will get them to change the phone is if people stop buying it.
    If people whine and complain but buy it anyway, why should they care. They got your money. Its when they stop getting your money.
    Money talks.....
    Im going to keep my 600 till this is resolved. Like buy a brand new fastes desktop with 128 M ram.

    Mark
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk2man
    Like I said in another post, the ONLY thing that will get them to change the phone is if people stop buying it.
    If people whine and complain but buy it anyway, why should they care. They got your money. Its when they stop getting your money.
    Money talks.....
    Im going to keep my 600 till this is resolved. Like buy a brand new fastes desktop with 128 M ram.

    Mark
    My 600 has always looked good. With more effective memory (and $600) it looks a lot better than the 650. The 650 is DOA. Too bad.
  19. worthb's Avatar
    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #99  
    I was all set to upgrade but I will wait. I would suggest that ALL who have purchased one return them IMMEDIATELY and maybe then p1 will realize the extent of the problem.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
  20. #100  
    Does anyone know if there is a problem with massive amounts of Datebook data like there is with contact information? My husband has thousands of datebook entries but less than 1000 contacts. I am trying to decide whether I should bother to set it up for him. He cannot delete any datebook data.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions