Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. ZAT
    I am definitely no power user, nor greatly savy at that. So the noob question is as follows: Does placing apps on a memory card truly hamper performance? Dont get me wrong I think more memory would be nice, but is it truly a neccessity. If the performance of apps running off of the SD card is the same as or VERY similar to those running from the main memory there is no issue. We have to remember the cost issues associated with packing more features into a phone, but keeping the price the same. The 600 came out at $599 in 2003 dollars. Now we have the 650 coming out with a better screen, more apps, BT, redesigned battery compartment (new tooling)... for $599 in 2004 dollars. Maybe their market research indicated that the $599 price tag was all that people were willing to pay and they had to cut some features.

Anybody actually run a test to see the performance differences between running certain apps from the SD card vs main memory?? It seems to me that if performance is relatively similar then keeping frequent use apps like e-mail and such on the mani memory and onesie-twosie apps on the SD card would be more than adequate.
    No company is going to recall a product like this because some people aren't satisfied with the specs. Perhaps they will release an upgrade/update down road, but for now it is what it is. SD cards are super cheap, pop a 1GB in there and go to town - albeit a tad slower than your geeky heart desires.
    Not the issue. Almost everyone here already uses an SD Card and ZLauncher or PowerRun. The issue that gets peoples goat is that when they upgrade to the 650, they effectively have less memory to work with. Most of my programs are on a card and I have 3.5mb free. There is no way of knowing if I could copy the contents of my 600 to a 650. 32Mb was pushing it on the 600, now it is just too little. And it may even be too little to hold all the apps people need that can not be moved to the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Putting stuff on a card helps, but does not fix the issue. Contact management software must be on the device and these are the programs that have the biggest issue. On my 600 my program with 2 mos of notes etc... took 2.15m On the 650 with the same filter applied it takes 14.8m and even with only the preinstalled apps and just that one it will not function properly becuase of the limited space.
    Just revisit sxtg's post.
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    Not the issue. Almost everyone here already uses an SD Card and ZLauncher or PowerRun. The issue that gets peoples goat is that when they upgrade to the 650, they effectively have less memory to work with. Most of my programs are on a card and I have 3.5mb free. There is no way of knowing if I could copy the contents of my 600 to a 650. 32Mb was pushing it on the 600, now it is just too little. And it may even be too little to hold all the apps people need that can not be moved to the card.
    um, you are wrong.

I doubt a majority of people use those apps.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    No company is going to recall a product like this because some people aren't satisfied with the specs. Perhaps they will release an upgrade/update down road, but for now it is what it is. SD cards are super cheap, pop a 1GB in there and go to town - albeit a tad slower than your geeky heart desires.

If you assume they won't, and don't make the attempt (read: FUSS) that I am making, then, no, nothing will change. If, however, enough of us get on the bandwagon, PalmOne quite possibly might have no choice BUT to fix this issue.

While America has perhaps become a nation of whiners like me , I'm afraid we may well have lost some of the initiative that made us great. This attitude I'm seeing today saddens me. "Quit whining." "They won't change it, so don't bother" "If you don't like it, buy something else"... Sorry, but I won't accept that. WE are the CUSTOMERS. These companies are supposed to be building the products WE want; it is not our duty to conform our desires to their suboptimal designs.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    2. Buy the 650 and send it out to one of those companies that opens up the device and upgrades your ram.
    Oh! Where? Do you know of a company that does this. (Seriously, no sarcasim intended.) If I can pay to fix a problem great! My problem is that I've sold myself on wanting the 650 and no other device will do when I consider the compromises. My one big concern with the 650, which could potentially hold me back, is memory. I'm thinking about waiting another year to see what other fruit comes to market, but if I could get a mod to upgrade the 650 memory NOW, well done and done!
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    um, you are wrong.

I doubt a majority of people use those apps.
    I didn't imply majority of treo users but the majority of those on the board. Either way, look at the audience and the suggestion that was offered. My point is the thread is full of people who already have cards that will/currently have memory problems. Someone simply stating "go buy a card" is missing the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    Not the issue. Almost everyone here already uses an SD Card and ZLauncher or PowerRun.
    Agreed. The emphasis is mine for those who don't. This is why you have people complaining here. Newer and less tech-savvy users will be happy with the Treo 650 as-is. P1 just did not offer a good upgrade path for many of their existing Treo 600 customers with the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Oh! Where? Do you know of a company that does this. (Seriously, no sarcasim intended.) If I can pay to fix a problem great! My problem is that I've sold myself on wanting the 650 and no other device will do when I consider the compromises. My one big concern with the 650, which could potentially hold me back, is memory. I'm thinking about waiting another year to see what other fruit comes to market, but if I could get a mod to upgrade the 650 memory NOW, well done and done!
    Give it some time. I was part of the original test group for the Palm V memory upgrade (from 2mb to 8mb) several years ago. If there is a demand, someone will fill it. More Treos need to get into the hands of people who can engineer the solution.

It may be as straightforward as removing the flash and replacing it with something else. Or, it may turn out to be considerably more complex considering the caching mechanism that is used. Or, in 6 months, PalmOne will come out with their own 650x with extra memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Not one more time. No 650 for me until this issue is resolved.
    Just saw a report on another thread that said that the 650 memory is not adequate for a contacts database w/ 2400 names. Mine is about 2200 but I do not want to allocate 100% of my memory to contacts.
    Thanks!

To repeat, we need an email/snail mail barrage to P1. Who would be the best target for this?
    Actually, from attending the Roadshow, everybody that I talked to from P1 said they read TC regularly.

So, even without an email campaign, I am sure they know how many folks are feeling on this issue.

I am going to get the 650 (currently still have the 300) since I think I can work around mos of the problems and I dont want to leave Palm, but the memory limitation was just dumb. It won't stop making the 650 successful but it will cost them some significant buisiness IMO. For those that dont want to add apps, the BB and Symbian phones do an adequate job. For those that must add many many apps, games, vids and the like, the PPC phones are out there. Thus P1 risks losing both the really high memory user (since why not get something that can hold everything easily) and the lower memory user (If I can't add tons of stuff, why not go cheaper?).

Now there are always compromises and choices to be made, like with wif fi, screan size and so on. But as one of the vedors at the Roadshow said, "memory is so cheap, there was no reason to even have this as a concern" Of course he said that right as his program he was trying to sell, would not load do to "inssuffiecent memory!"
    Maybe Palm will just pull a M505-M515 type upgrade...I bought the M505 and WEEKS later the M515 was released...better screen/more memory,etc. Once they've used all the 32Mb chips they have committed to buy....THEN we'll see the Treo 655 w/64Mb!!!

All you EARLY ADOPTOR'S are screwed!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
  14.    #74  
    Darn... 4PM EST, and still no response from Walter Mossberg. Reminds me of the Steve Martin line from his routines in the late '70's... "....Farrah Fawcett won't return my calls even after all that time I spent holding her poster with one hand....."
    I think it's a bit amusing that all of the people complaining about the memory architecture and the amount of memory don't even have a 650 in their hands. Maybe you should wait a bit and SEE how big a problem this really is before frothing at the mouth?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Wifi? You got wi-fi with that crappy, new, way too little memory? Doubt it.
    I don't add many applications. Wifi improves my use of the Treo about 300%. So yes, I'd rather have wifi and the new, crappy memory than no wifi and the old way of memory that allowed me to store more. Right now, I've got the worst of both worlds. And please don't tell me to look for the 6601 or whatever, it's too big for me and the keyboard look like it would be hard to use. Anyway, this isn't about wifi.

Palm, just give us our memory back.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I think it's a bit amusing that all of the people complaining about the memory architecture and the amount of memory don't even have a 650 in their hands. Maybe you should wait a bit and SEE how big a problem this really is before frothing at the mouth?

But I LIKE to froth at the mouth! (FOTM)!

Seriously, there are at least a few reports coming in already, and they are very worrisome. If we wait to make this an issue, there will be no recourse. It is very early in the game, and relatively few units have been manufactured and sold. My goal is nothing short of a full recall of the 650. The memory issue has all the signs of being a disaster for us and for PalmOne, and NOW is the time for them to fix it, not six months from now.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Don't know if he'll be doing it for the 650, but several years ago I took my then Palm V to a guy in New York who was performing memory upgrades. He essentially doubled my memory for about $100. If there's a way, I'm sure he'll find it. His site is here http://www.palmpilotupgrade.com/about.html. My address book in my Tungsten/T only has 81 entries right now, so this memory issue still isn't an issue for me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    It would not have been a big of an issue with me if I had not personally heard a Vendor at a roadshow complaining about it and watching his app crash due to insuffiecent memory. I mean, if you can't even have the guys at P1's own roadshow playing nice and sticking to the script about the memory problem, then it is an issue.
    Darn... 4PM EST, and still no response from Walter Mossberg. Reminds me of the Steve Martin line from his routines in the late '70's... "....Farrah Fawcett won't return my calls even after all that time I spent holding her poster with one hand....."
    You've been holding Walt Mossberg's poster with one hand!?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast