Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 115
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    YEP you would buy such a computer, or YEP you agree that you wouldn't...


    Yep that all your comments are correct and P1 are morons on this issue.
  2.    #42  
    Thanks!

    To repeat, we need an email/snail mail barrage to P1. Who would be the best target for this?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Okay, my precious is here!! Wow! It's charging now but boy if this came with 16 megs I think I would keep it!! It's just gorgous.

    I'll report later on how I do with memory.

    Very interested in your report about memory.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I am beginning to wonder if there is an average Joe Treo user. If you are capable of operating the thing at all, you are going to want to add apps, quickly using up the onboard memory; otherwise, a non-PDA phone with contact list would suffice. (My daughter's Sanyo 5400, for example, has a contact list, Vision access to the web, etc.) I think P1 SERIOUSLY misjudged this issue.
    Among the people I introduced the Treo to, almost everyone was amazed by the ability to add new programs. Now, more than half of those people don't even use basic things like MP3 players. Even though I set up their card with dozens of free apps. One of them even purchased a 512MB Flash drive / mp3 player, and is now going to the process of returning it after I reminded him of Card Export.

    I would say that the average Joe probably has no more than one or two apps added on to the base configuration.
  5.    #45  
    True, but as someone noted, other basic things such as email can be a real memory hog. Even one or two big programs and their associated data can eat your lunch, it seems. Yes, the SD card helps, but it is a work-around to a problem that shouldn't exist.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  6.    #46  
    Someone on this thread suggested writing to Walt Mossberg at WSJ. I'm going to do it right now.

    Here is what I sent:

    Dear Mr. Mossberg:

    I am a happy user of the Treo 600, and based on the early reviews, especially yours in the Wall Street Journal, I was about to take the plunge and upgrade. However, several threads on the TreoCentral website (http://www.treocentral.com) have given me serious concerns.

    It seems that due to the new 650's handling of memory, the "slightly smaller" amount provided actually translates into considerably less usable memory. I think PalmOne has seriously compromised the device by limiting the memory in this manner. I, for one, will NOT upgrade until this is fixed.

    Mr. Mossberg, you have a huge audience out there, and I would dare to say significant influence with the manufacturers. I would ask that you review the evidence for us, and if you agree that the Treo 650's memory is as lacking as it appears to be, I would ask you to publicise this. I fear this is the only way PalmOne will listen to us and hopefully remedy this situation.

    Your help is greatly appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 11/19/2004 at 12:08 PM.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  7. #47  
    Who said you needed to upgrade? Give me a break.

    You guys are a bunch of whiners. If you don't like the device, then don't buy it.

    It's the American Way.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Who said you needed to upgrade? Give me a break.

    You guys are a bunch of whiners. If you don't like the device, then don't buy it.

    It's the American Way.

    I agree to some extent, and no, I will NOT buy the 650 as it stands. However, it is the American Way to protest when something is not right, in the hopes that corrections can be made.

    What you suggest is more the old East German Way:
    Here iss your Trabant, Comrade. Yes, it is a dirty, shmelly little piece of garbage, but it iss all you can get around here. Und if you don't like it, zehn ve haff more in line behint you who vill take it.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  9. #49  
    Dalai, since you're not upgrading, you should probably change your avatar.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    Dalai, since you're not upgrading, you should probably change your avatar.

    Well, hope springs eternal....maybe P1 will fix the problem and I then will upgrade. Then all of you T650 users can thank me for having the tantrum that got you more memory!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  11. #51  
    Do you think the memory system can be updated when sprint releases an updater?
  12. #52  
    ITA w/Dalai Lama on this issue.

    I was actually considering a Cingular Treo 650 in a few months but I've changed my mind.

    P1 needs to provide a worthwhile upgrade path for their Smartphone customers or they will lose us to The Dark Side. In fact, for the first time since getting a Palmpilot in 1997, I've looked at the hardware specs of some MS Smartphones.

    Please folks, don't insult the intelligence of those here who know how to use SD cards. Most of us have multiple SD cards ranging from 32MB to 1GB. We know how SD cards can be used.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Can they hear me now?
    I am sure they can. I am equally sure that they will fix it. It will take longer than WiFi. It will have a new model number. You will be expected to pay one more time.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    .....You will be expected to pay one more time.
    Not one more time. No 650 for me until this issue is resolved.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I agree to some extent, and no, I will NOT buy the 650 as it stands. However, it is the American Way to protest when something is not right, in the hopes that corrections can be made.

    What you suggest is more the old East German Way:
    Here iss your Trabant, Comrade. Yes, it is a dirty, shmelly little piece of garbage, but it iss all you can get around here. Und if you don't like it, zehn ve haff more in line behint you who vill take it.
    No -- there are other smartphone choices. If you don't like the T650, go buy something else or stick with your T600. If this were East Germany, you still would be using tin cans and wire to talk to your neighbor.

    American Way is to protest? This isn't protesting something for global warming or some nonsense like that. This is a product. The only way companies listen is when their product doesn't sell.

    Given the fact that apparently Sprint has sold out its first allotment very quickly, I would imagine that your "protest" will end up in the ol' circular file.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    No -- there are other smartphone choices. If you don't like the T650, go buy something else or stick with your T600. If this were East Germany, you still would be using tin cans and wire to talk to your neighbor.

    American Way is to protest? This isn't protesting something for global warming or some nonsense like that. This is a product. The only way companies listen is when their product doesn't sell.

    Given the fact that apparently Sprint has sold out its first allotment very quickly, I would imagine that your "protest" will end up in the ol' circular file.

    We'll agree to disagree, rather than drag it out. Obviously, this problem is not on a par with world peace or why urban centers vote Democratic. But it is important to a lot of us, or we wouldn't waste time posting here and drooling over the next Treo iteration.

    The memory issue was not apparant until the first units reached "power users", and I predict at least some will return their new toys over this problem. Some won't. How many 650's would you say were in the initial batch? 1000-2000? We'll see how many satisfied customers there are pretty soon, I would guess.

    In the meantime, is there another smartphone out there with Palm OS and a keyboard? Didn't think so.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  17. #57  
    Too bad this wasn't asked about at the Roadshow yesterday, that appears to have been the last one
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  18. njchris's Avatar
    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    No -- there are other smartphone choices. If you don't like the T650, go buy something else or stick with your T600. If this were East Germany, you still would be using tin cans and wire to talk to your neighbor.

    American Way is to protest? This isn't protesting something for global warming or some nonsense like that. This is a product. The only way companies listen is when their product doesn't sell.
    So nobody should say anything because you feel it is whining? I didn't know there was a check-list on when people can post their dislike of something. And the only way other users can know about things that they might be affected by is to talk about it.

    Given the fact that apparently Sprint has sold out its first allotment very quickly, I would imagine that your "protest" will end up in the ol' circular file.
    There's users that read this stuff and can be affected and can learn from it and make educated decisions.

    If the moderators feel this is inappropriate, let them close the thread. No need to be so controlling of other people.

    And by the way, your posts are basically whining about whining.
  19.    #59  
    C'mon, boys, let's not have any whining about the whiners whining!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  20. #60  
    Two options;
    1. Some clever programmer hacks the OS to use the ram as ram and ignore the shadow flash. You lose the nonvolatility but get back your precious 23 Meg
    2. Buy the 650 and send it out to one of those companies that opens up the device and upgrades your ram.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions