1.    #1  
    Got my treo 650 yesterday after work. It had enough charge that I got it up and running. the ESN swap took me all of 3 minutes and vision was provisioned on it as I was finishing the call. Amazingly well done.

The first thing I did was test reception using ##DEBUG. The RF on this phone is as good as the 600 if not a bit better. It works fine in the RF blackhole that is my basement where for example the hitachi G1000 did not work consistently.

I set it up, and made the mistake of installing docs to go. That package takes up entirely too much space on the few mbs of main memory on the phone. Since I was planning to wipe and reinstall anyway, I installed an ran a bunch of other software for compatability. Here is the report.

1) TakePhone (15) - does not work well at all. This is annoying as I use the calling card feature for making international long distance. I have faked around it by setting up quickdial entires for my most commonly used ILD numbers and then checking the 'dial extra digits' button and putting in ,,,,, 011 International number

2) downloaded the latest datebk5 specifically for treo650 type devices. works like a charm.

3) botzam backup (latest) appears to work

4) pocket tunes deluxe 3.0.5 works

5) upirc 3.8.3 works

6) SnapperMail enterprise edition (2.10 or whatever) works fine

Blazer 4.0 with small fonts - excellent way to browse. Even things as handheld unfriendly as cnn, work fine and look gorgeous.

Cannot tell you how much the phone is improved in looks. And convenience. I turned on bluetooth syncing and can sync with my computer on the other side of the room while laying in bed.

In short, all the 600 should have been in the first place but wasn't.

/v
    Thanks for the review. Now I'm even sadder I haven't received mine yet...
    Please go to dslreports.com/mspeed and click on 200K file. Please post results.

thx
    Quote Originally Posted by vgill
    Got my treo 650 yesterday after work. It had enough charge that I got it up and running. the ESN swap took me all of 3 minutes and vision was provisioned on it as I was finishing the call. Amazingly well done.

The first thing I did was test reception using ##DEBUG. The RF on this phone is as good as the 600 if not a bit better. It works fine in the RF blackhole that is my basement where for example the hitachi G1000 did not work consistently.

I set it up, and made the mistake of installing docs to go. That package takes up entirely too much space on the few mbs of main memory on the phone. Since I was planning to wipe and reinstall anyway, I installed an ran a bunch of other software for compatability. Here is the report.

1) TakePhone (15) - does not work well at all. This is annoying as I use the calling card feature for making international long distance. I have faked around it by setting up quickdial entires for my most commonly used ILD numbers and then checking the 'dial extra digits' button and putting in ,,,,, 011 International number

2) downloaded the latest datebk5 specifically for treo650 type devices. works like a charm.

3) botzam backup (latest) appears to work

4) pocket tunes deluxe 3.0.5 works

5) upirc 3.8.3 works

6) SnapperMail enterprise edition (2.10 or whatever) works fine

Blazer 4.0 with small fonts - excellent way to browse. Even things as handheld unfriendly as cnn, work fine and look gorgeous.

Cannot tell you how much the phone is improved in looks. And convenience. I turned on bluetooth syncing and can sync with my computer on the other side of the room while laying in bed.

In short, all the 600 should have been in the first place but wasn't.

/v
    what about memory?????
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    what about memory?????
    After snappermail, botzam, upirc, datebk5, ptunes, I have about 17 mb free left. It is absurd in this day and age that I have to think about memory issues. Makes me feel like I'm sitting in the good old days of yore, trying extended memory managers and DOS or something.

That said, for what I want it to do, it works extremely well.

/v