Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    In the end I'll do the same. I'll sell the 600 and the other 650 and should end up spending a couple hundred on the 650. I plan on selling my P1 650 at my cost that Sprint sold it to me, i.e. $650. However, I will be keeping the BT device.
    Fiance joined me at the NYC show earlier this week, held it, they showed her the camera and she said...and I quote..."That alone is reason enough to upgrade." DOH...she's so non-techy, and she has the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    that I own the 600, got my 650 from Sprint yesterday and will receive another 650 from P1 probably next week. I'm banking that she won't recognize the phone is different. We do discuss finances, in fact I told her not to get the $212 jeans she tried on last weekend. Anyone else tiptoeing around their spouse about this purchase(s)?
    I don't think that purchasing the device is necessarly bad, as long as you are not going into debt over it, or have starving children at home. While I (and most of you probably) think that spending $212 on a pair of pants is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS, 95% of the population would say that it is equally ridiculous to spend $600 on a cell phone. In fact, I used to have this arguement with my girlfriend. The difference is that I'm in a position do this (well, kind of) and she wasn't. She had student loans, car loans, rent,etc, all of which she wouldn't have been able to pay if she'd lost her job.

OTOH, I've got one debt, my mortgage (which is only $414 a month), and nothing else. Therefore, it's not going to kill me if I lose my job, and I'm certainly not going to be in debt the rest of my life.

Also, this phone has paid for itself MANY times over. I travel a lot for my work (I sell arcade games on eBay). I can't tell you how many times I've had a question from a buyer while I was driving somewhere, and because I was able to answer it remotely, they bid on the item, which increased the final sales price. I'd say this has happened at least 10-15 times over the last year, and probably increased the final bid price an average of $100-$250.

AND, I purchased my Treo 600 over a year ago for $400. I sold it on eBay last weekend for $400, but the high bidder backed out, and now it's relisted (currently at $357). So while the 600 tied up my money for a year, it hasn't really lost much value. Try that with your nokia .

D.C.
    My fiance is buying mine for me becuase I just spent an arm and a leg on a ring that just sits on her finger and can't even make a simple phone call.
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere... Write that down."
    -Van Wilder
    Always down play a big purchase like a $600 phone + add ons. Add real and ficticious rebates to make it seem better. It also helps to buy them something really nice right before you get that phone
    DMAX is the only one who got it right!!!!!!
    I am combining Birthday present and my annual computer upgrade along with getting the best price $199.00 (after $150 Sprint rebate and the Roadshow coupon) to offset the cost and the OH MY GOD factor.
    Marriage is give and take. If she gives me any sh*t, I'll take back the t.v. remote!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    The solution is simple, just buy another 650 for your wife. That's what I did
    I stumbled upon a very effective solution (since we just had an anniversary last week)...

diamond earings.

Expensive...but very effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobva6
    My fiance is buying mine for me becuase I just spent an arm and a leg on a ring that just sits on her finger and can't even make a simple phone call.
    Yeah but that ring has more memory!!
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650
    There are only two ways to figure out how to deal with women. Unfortunately neither of them work.

You are so in trouble....

This is going to cost you way more than $212 jeans.

J
    I feel pretty lucky compared to some of the other members. I dont smoke, dont drink, dont gamble and have no other vices besides my "gadgetry". My wife has always known this and understands. She also knows I will research and shop around for the best possible price on every gadget I purchase. When I told her about the roadshow and the price I could get the 650 at for just attending, she was like..."why are you telling me"... God I love this woman!

CGordonn
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    that I own the 600, got my 650 from Sprint yesterday and will receive another 650 from P1 probably next week. I'm banking that she won't recognize the phone is different. We do discuss finances, in fact I told her not to get the $212 jeans she tried on last weekend. Anyone else tiptoeing around their spouse about this purchase(s)?
    I just bought a Nikon D70 with accessories, a Treo 650 and a BT GPS. My wife wasn't part of the decision making process.

I run my hose and am the one who decides where the $ goes. (No, I don't blow all my $.) My kids are also well behaved and happy.

Not the American way these days but I don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by pertinax
    I run my hose

Do you make her wear a birka too?
    Quote Originally Posted by DavemanUT
    I don't think that purchasing the device is necessarly bad, as long as you are not going into debt over it, or have starving children at home. While I (and most of you probably) think that spending $212 on a pair of pants is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS, 95% of the population would say that it is equally ridiculous to spend $600 on a cell phone. In fact, I used to have this arguement with my girlfriend. The difference is that I'm in a position do this (well, kind of) and she wasn't. She had student loans, car loans, rent,etc, all of which she wouldn't have been able to pay if she'd lost her job.

OTOH, I've got one debt, my mortgage (which is only $414 a month), and nothing else. Therefore, it's not going to kill me if I lose my job, and I'm certainly not going to be in debt the rest of my life.

Also, this phone has paid for itself MANY times over. I travel a lot for my work (I sell arcade games on eBay). I can't tell you how many times I've had a question from a buyer while I was driving somewhere, and because I was able to answer it remotely, they bid on the item, which increased the final sales price. I'd say this has happened at least 10-15 times over the last year, and probably increased the final bid price an average of $100-$250.

AND, I purchased my Treo 600 over a year ago for $400. I sold it on eBay last weekend for $400, but the high bidder backed out, and now it's relisted (currently at $357). So while the 600 tied up my money for a year, it hasn't really lost much value. Try that with your nokia .

D.C.
    What about your electricity and insurance? Can you loan a few bucks?
    Just busting your b'lls.

Eric
    I run my hose in my yard too...to water the lawn and wash the car.

I run my hose with my fiance too, but that's an entirely different discussion board (xxx)

Just busting on ya!
    My S.O. is a geek. I got her a Tungsten C a couple days ago, and she has been using it non-stop. It took me an hour just to get it out of her hands so I could try VeriChat on it.

I told her about the T650, she thinks it is a bit large for a phone, but was still drooling. Toy budget is a standard part of our finances
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Damn I cant find the "whipped" smiley
    http://smilies.crowd9.com/otn/happy/zzwhip.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by pertinax
    I just bought a Nikon D70 with accessories, a Treo 650 and a BT GPS. My wife wasn't part of the decision making process.

I run my hose and am the one who decides where the $ goes. (No, I don't blow all my $.) My kids are also well behaved and happy.

Not the American way these days but I don't care.
    That's the way to be a Man!! Sounds like a few wimps are in here!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I anticipated this problem and will do the same thing I did to get 600 without any grief: market it to my S/O 100 times better than Handspring/PalmOne does their marketing! I've been selling the Treo650 to her for the past 6 months and she is just as eager to get one as I am. And all of this is despite the 3 times she had to return her 600 and get a refurb. Of course, then I become the applications tester and troubleshooter, but it's well worth it! In another 6 months I'll be starting my new marketing campaign:
    "Honey, have you seen this new Treo 700?..."
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    When it arrives I'll just tell her that work paid for it (which is true).

But if work wasn't paying, I'd just drag her to her closet and ask how much all those pairs of shoes cost.
    - Fushigi
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast