1.    #1  
    Hi - i have been having this irritating problem in my 270 everytime i make a call and i hangup and a few minutes i try dialing another call it prompts SIM CARD ERROR - I then have to turn off the wireless and turn it back on and once it connects to the network i can place the next call but then again the second call screws me up.

when i got my treo i did the International GPRS upgrade maybe thats to blame or the phone itself. I also have an irratic connection while trying to connect to the GPRS network -

Im puzzled would appreciate some help
    Sounds like a hardware error.
    Check the SIM door - is it loose?
    Also check the SIM detection tab under the SIM card. It should protrude at about 45 degrees when no SIM is inserted.

If all that looks good, there's a good chance that your actual SIM is faulty. Maybe get it replaced.

As for GPRS, who is your provider? Is connection better in some locations or is it always suspect?
    Last edited by nzmoko; 11/19/2004 at 08:46 AM.
    www.gsmworld.com
  3.    #3  
    hey thanks for the reply -

SIM door - i used to have the prob but Handspring replaced the unit (when it was under warranty) after that no problems as per the SIM DOOR is concerned

SIM Tabs - well all tabs appear to be jutting out - with a pin i have tried to expand them a bit more

the service is UFONE in Pakistan - my father has a 600 and the same SIM rocks on that treo and as soon as i insert it into the crappy 270 it gets the same error

still puzzled
    Its possible that you installed a third party application that conflicts with your phone system. You may try to hard reset your Treo 270 to remove your third party applications, and then use the phone. If the SIM card error will no longer occur then you can be fairly sure that it is due to an application installed in your smartphone.

You may reinstall applications one-by-one to identify what application is causing the problem.
    it maybe a sofeware problem
    You can reinstall the treo phone 's software
    msn tolaic123@hotmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by laic123_palm
    it maybe a sofeware problem
    You can reinstall the treo phone 's software

Remember not to install the software that is causing the error.
  7.    #7  
    People - looks like i am still in the frying pan - I tried a hard reset removed my backup folder and did a hotsync so that i can sync ONLY my contacts into the treo - well the SIM CARD ERROR is still there - so i think i have ended up with a hardware problem - shoot - my GPRS system is 1.1.2 international should i download another version (or can i revert back to the older version) -I have also had problems on GPRS connection the unit does establish a link with the provider but Blazer is unable to downlaod anything (also avantgo)

Radio problems? i sometimes can dial out infact today i was able to make 5-6 calls then the ERROR creeped up -

CONTINUED - i have downloaded the 270 ROM from Palm OS (though i am unable to get the Handspring emulator) is there a way to install the original version (without the upgrade) back on to the Unit - it might be an attempt as i just keep feeling that this problem has creeped up after i did the ungrade (though not positively sure)
    Last edited by drawab; 11/28/2004 at 03:04 AM.
    Get a hammer and hit your Treo 270 as hard as you can. That will surely end your frustrations with the flawed product.
  9.    #9  
    You cant imagine - i almost did exactly the same
  10.    #10  
    -- UPDATE --
    To someone else down the road coming across the same problem :

I finally did slove the error -with the help of PalmOne agent who told me to insert a piece of card paper behind my Sim card - and VIOLA im back to normal - the problem is the spring on the Back door - Im not yet completely in the open world - seems my GPRS connection still is not transfering any data - open to ideas
    I use to have the sim card connection problem when I first got the 270,what I did was to pack the sim door expander clip with folded paper bit .. no problem ever since and using a KRUSELL cover helps. But now I cant seem to log on to the internet after more than a year of trouble free use. I keep getting a blank page??and only read cookies of my last visted sites. Any ideas?
    Yushaak :shortcut:
    Quote Originally Posted by yushaak
    I use to have the sim card connection problem when I first got the 270,what I did was to pack the sim door expander clip with folded paper bit .. no problem ever since and using a KRUSELL cover helps. But now I cant seem to log on to the internet after more than a year of trouble free use. I keep getting a blank page??and only read cookies of my last visted sites. Any ideas?
    You may have corruption in your cookie DB or cache. Try deleting all cookies and cache and see if it helps.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by drawab
    -- UPDATE --

I finally did slove the error -with the help of PalmOne agent who told me to insert a piece of card paper behind my Sim card - and VIOLA im back to normal - the problem is the spring on the Back door - Im not yet completely in the open world - seems my GPRS connection still is not transfering any data - open to ideas
    So it was the SIM door... glad you're up and running

As for the GPRS updater, as far as I know, it is not downgradeable. The ROM isn't the problem, it's the radio firmware that gets updated during the process - you can't go back to original version.

If GPRS is working on a 600 with your SIM, it's obviously not signal/network related. Have you checked that your network settings are the same as the 600?

If they are, have you tried reinstalling the GPRS updater?
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by drawab
    -- UPDATE --

I had the same problems/symptoms on my 270 with at first sporadic and later permanent SIM CARD ERRORs - but I took another approach when this message appeared for the first time: I ordered a new SIM-card from T-Mobile (Germany). Everything went fine for a few weeks, and then it happened again - in that fashion I went through three or four new SIM-cards within half a year (each to the tune of about 20 Euros) - until I discovered the design flaw: the spring actually punctures the SIM-card (see attached picture, the tiny hole is just above the "b" of "Mobile". All of my defective SIM-cards show the same wear sign in the identical spot).

When you slide the 270 in and out of your back pocket, the back door is pressed and depressed slightly, causing the wear and tear on the card.

So my advice based on painful and costly experience: employ the "trick" the PalmOne agent told drawab or use a cover, as yushaak suggests - or both.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15.    #15  
    Wilfried - thanks for your update post - it is indeed the springs in the door that are buggy - well today i had the problem all over again - the next day i plan to stretch those strings a bit as the card is in place but it gives the SIM CARD ERROR - I am about to trash this unit.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    if you have an old t-mobile sim (green color) ask them to replace it. all my old sims had to be replaced since the phones were acting so flaky. cleared up immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfried
    All of my defective SIM-cards show the same wear sign in the identical spot).
    WOW...I never noticed that until I saw your post just now. I often have the SIM problem w/ my 180 but assumed it was because I ended-up soldering the contacts where the mechanical SIM detection lever was (since the plastic piece broke off). I just flattened the spring a bit, so maybe I'll have better luck w/ it now.
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680