Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Is there a way to use the Treo 650 as a Wireless Modem for my Laptop on Verizon? I searched but couldn't find anything on the subject. Thanks so much!
    Try PDANet from www.junefabrics.com. You can try before buy and it was an easy setup. I'm using a toshiba with builtin bluetooth and the bluetooth link to the internet took all of about 5 minutes to load software and connect. You do have to turn off HotSync while using PDANet since they both use the same com port.
    Oh! that is for internet. If you want fax I haven't seen a way to do that yet.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I am a new Treo 650 user after several other Smartphones with Cingular. My main reason for getting it was the EDGE technology. We want to be able to use it as a modem when attached to a notebook when traveling, etc.

I have looked through the User Manual, done a search on this and a couple other forums and called Cingular. Nowhere can I even find mention of this as an option. Cingular Data Tech Support says it is un-supported.

Is there a way to use the phone as a modem and take advantage of EDGE?

Thanks in advance.
    Hal Michael
    Davidson, NC
    do a search for "pdanet"

I believe that's the name of the software. It is by a software company called JuneFabricks.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    PDAnet is quite nice. It's super easy to install and use. It's also for PC only, in case you have a Mac.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. I have already downloaded and tried PDAnet. Very slick product. With a decent connection, I am getting about 100Kbs according to the 2Wire.Com speed test.
    Any way to use the 650 as a modem for internet access for a Mac G4 laptop? Just switched from Sprint to Verizon, and find throughput much faster in my area. Would like to capitalize on it more if I can. Thanks for any help. (My search attempts came up short on any Mac related inf.)
    You can use the 650 as a BlueTooth modem if you install the DUN patch. I use it with my Mac mini (installed in my truck) and my brother uses it with his PowerBook all the time. Setup is quick and easy, as all things with a Mac are.
    for sprint-

on treo:
    launcher>bluetooth>dial-up networking>on

on mac:
    system preferences>network>at this point, a dialog will pop up, asking you if you want to connect through treo>fill in info under ppp tab>you will connect.

make sure that device is paired, after bt dialup enabled.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Thanks Cool Cat! I'll track down the patch!
    I believe its available at http://www.shadowmite.com
    I just installed the shadowmite hack. I use my phone to dial my campus modem pool as I refuse to be extorted by Verizon's hdeous costs for using their data network. After some diddling, I got it to connect, but it's PAINFULLY SLOW. I mean, 14,400 is slow enough, but this connection is even slower than THAT. What modem script should I be using? I found one labelled Verizon, and that one worked. But it's just really, REALLY slow!
    I use the Sprint PCS Vision modemscript when I connect my ibook to Sprint. It is built into the OS. I don't know if it will work with Verizon but you could give it a shot.
    It might be the modem pool, I know that many campuses never upgraded their modems from the pre-internet days.

I use the Verizon CSS script provided within the Palm OS, and I'm connecting at 230k with a speed of 100kbs as per dslreports.com
    Oh, I know our modem pool is stuck at 28.8. And I'm willing to live with that as I refuse to pay more per month for higher-speed Data than I pay for my basic plan! But this was even slower than THAT. If I had to guess, I'd say I was getting more about 2400bps.
    I have searched prior posts and can't find specific info on the following:

I have a Treo 650 with service through Cingular Blue. I want to use it as a modem for my new Sony Vaio T350 (with built in Bluetooth).

I will be travelling through Central America and want to connect to internet. Do I need to buy a program like PDAnet or should I be able to connect the two with no additional program. If so, how?

I apoligize in advance if this has been covered in a prior thread and I missed it.

I'm leaving in a couple of days so any help is greatly appreciated.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    Do a search for DUN (Dial Up Network.) It has been beaten to death here.

Also, this may help you:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/ha...GSM_DUN_UG.pdf

You may also want to look into PDANet:

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Do a search for DUN (Dial Up Network.) It has been beaten to death here.

Also, this may help you:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/ha...GSM_DUN_UG.pdf

You may also want to look into PDANet:

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    That was very polite of you.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    That was very polite of you.
    Hehehehe...this just in:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../Hellfroze.jpg
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast