1.    #1  
    Got my 650 today. It was supposed to go to my wife's work where someone would be there to sign for it... but they shipped it to my house. The UPS guy arrived 2 minutes after I got home from work so it was a close call ;-)

This smartphone is awesome. Amazing screen, buttons are so much easier to use (though a bit cheaper feeling). Great sounds, very bright screen. Overall nice job on the upgrade to the T600.

OSX... very quick and easy to setup BT sync and performed one effortlessly with my 12" PB G4 1.2GHz. T650 found the laptop instantly.

Down side... I had 8MB free on my T600. I tried to restore to the T650 using BackupMan and was told my main memory was full while I still had about 4MB of data left to restore. Holy crap this sucks. As others mentioned in a previous thread, the new memory file system on the T650 stores databases in much larger chunks... and they aren't kiddin. I have dozens of 1k dbs on the T600 that are all 5k on the T650. By my estimate, the T650 probably cuts the actual memory as we knew it by about 30-40%. I'll be able to fit about 15MB of T600 data on the T650. That's a huge hit.

One thing I wanted to know was clarification on P1's advertisement of apps running of the memory card. Unfortunately, none of the system apps (like "Buttons" pref) are able to access the card, so the idea of storing stuff like Datebk5 on the card was nixed. It seems they were just advertising the SD card reading capabilities... if someone has any more info on that, I'd be interested.
  2.    #2  
    After using the 650 longer, I'm noticing a frustrating trend toward much slower application launching. It takes almost 20 seconds for the Application screen to appear after pressing the button. Wow! That's not impressive in the least. Datebk5 launches slower as well. More later...
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    After using the 650 longer, I'm noticing a frustrating trend toward much slower application launching. It takes almost 20 seconds for the Application screen to appear after pressing the button. Wow! That's not impressive in the least. Datebk5 launches slower as well. More later...

FYI, do a search over at PIC or 1src about this. Apparently many apps like DBK5 etc have not yet been updated to work seamlessly with NVFS of the Treo 650/T5. That may explain the slower launching...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hmm. I'm interested in your further impressions. I have OSX iBook, Datebk5, ...pretty much the same setup as you. I should have my 650 on Friday!
    I've got OSX and Missing Sync running on a PowerBook... I may have my 650 tomorrow too. I'll let ya know... Anyway you look at it, the memory deal was really short sighted of P1 in my opinion. Even if you can successfully run your apps from a SD card, it means that if you use more than 1 card you've got to have your apps on all the different cards...
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    FYI, do a search over at PIC or 1src about this. Apparently many apps like DBK5 etc have not yet been updated to work seamlessly with NVFS of the Treo 650/T5. That may explain the slower launching...
    There is a release of Datebk5 that is specifically for the 650. Along the righthand side of the page, halfway down.

Linky
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, gfunk. Good to know it can get better from here ;-)

For the OSX crowd... though I seem to have BT working for hotsync, I haven't been able to make USB work yet. Though, I may ditch that with BT available. You guys are gonna love the 650!
    Have you made it work yet? Please let us know what version of OSX you are using and what version of the Palm Desktop for Mac comes with the 650.

Thanks and good luck!
    I can't wait to try out this little app. Apparently allows you to drag and drop files to your Treo over Bluetooth. As in no HotSync, just grab something, drop it on an icon, and bam it's on your Treo. At least that's my understanding...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11267
    No wait... It can do more. Send highlighted text straight to MemoPad? Oh momma this is going to be fun.

Drag and drop PRC/PDB files to instantly install them on your Palm.
    Drag and drop media files or text files to instantly install them on your Palm.
    New: Send hilited text and text clippings directly to Memo Pad!
    Install multiple files in a single transfer.
    Install directly to an expansion card!
    No special software is required on the Palm.
    Quickly switch between Palm devices using the dock menu.
    Compatible with all Bluetooth-enabled Macs and Palm OS devices.
    Attention Developers: Quickly send commonly used files via the "Send Recent" menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    I can't wait to try out this little app. Apparently allows you to drag and drop files to your Treo over Bluetooth. As in no HotSync, just grab something, drop it on an icon, and bam it's on your Treo. At least that's my understanding...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11267
    This app looks amazing!! Anyone knows of a PC equivalent?
    actually - you don't need to use the macupdate app. The bluetoth file transfer program built into OS X (in the apps/utils folder?) handles almost everything this app does. I keep it in my dock, and I can just drag photos, mp3s, prcs, pdbs, on to it, one click later my treo wakes up (an option in the bluetooth pref to turn on) and accepts the receive. As long as there is a helper app on the Treo, the Treo can receive the file.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  13.    #13  
    I'm using a PBG4 with OSX 10.3.6 and the 650... no hotsync via cable yet. Anyone been able to do this?

Miradu, thanks for the tip on BT file transfer!
    I'm using a PBG4 with OSX 10.3.6 and the 650... no hotsync via cable yet. Anyone been able to do this?
    Yes - Conduits (active) installed:

Apple
    Backup Conduit
    Install Conduit
    Memos Conduit
    Now Up To Date Conduit
    Photos Conduit
    ToDo Conduit

I use Isync to sync my Contacts (through Apple's Address Book), Now UpToDate to sync my dates and to-do's, and Palm's Desktop (and Memos conduit) to sync my Memos.

YoungTurk
    12" PB G4 1.33 with SuperDrive
    Sprint Treo 650
    Forgot to mention - the hotsync cable is still in its shrink wrap!
  16.    #16  
    YoungTurk, glad you're up and running. It sounds like you have BT sync working... have you tried with the cable at all? Any luck?

Also, is anyone getting a popup message during BT hotsync... something to the effect of the conduit being "locked" or something like that? It happened last night during BT syncs and I can't recall the exact wording. But, it required me to click ok on the coputer to get sync going again and move onto the next conduit. Kinda annoying as the whole point of BT is so you don't have to monitor the computer. Any thoughts on the origin of this?
    I have also noticed that the 650 phone launcher screen is slow in coming up. Actually I am not impressed with the speed. I expected a little more snap.