1.    #1  
    Apologies in advance if this is a really stupid or ignorant question....

When I installed the hotsync software for the 650, it prompts to install the integrated Outlook conduits (no more chapura!). When I go to my sync options to tell it what to do when I sync, I have the following list of items for sync with outlook. (I also see these same "duplicates" in the conduit setup in the hotsync program on my device).

Address AND contacts
    calendar AND datebook
    tasks AND todo list
    memo pad AND memos

(those are all individual items, i just grouped them in logical pairs)

All of these are available to sync with outlook.

Or at least they were. The duplicates seem to have disappeared. I had set it to only sync contacts, calendar, tasks and memos and told it to do nothing for the rest, which now are not visible. They are still visible on my device though.

Thoughts? Anyone know why these are here? On the device itself, are address and contacts the same database? I only have a menu option for contacts...
    I have the exact same question. I now have many more conduits then before and they seem the same. What did they double? I did not do a fresh install of the syncing software, I let it upgrade/update my configuration.
    Seems like nobody has responded to these good questions. I have become interested when I saw that I was running out of memory.

When I look at my system using FileZ, I see that I have a large "Contact" db, though all that info is stored in the Address App.

I also see that I have both large ToDO and a Task db's.

Shouldn't I only have one db for these?? What's the difference?

Same question with Calender and Datebook?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I believe it has to do with some older apps that look for the old file name databases vs the newer ones. Thus, address and contacts are on your Treo. I believe that if you delete the address database it just comes back at the next hotsync. I have read there is an app out there that deletes the old name version of the databases after every hotsync. I use Happydays which I believe uses the address database not the newer contacts so I have not messed with it.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    I believe it has to do with some older apps that look for the old file name databases vs the newer ones. Thus, address and contacts are on your Treo. I believe that if you delete the address database it just comes back at the next hotsync. I have read there is an app out there that deletes the old name version of the databases after every hotsync. I use Happydays which I believe uses the address database not the newer contacts so I have not messed with it.
    Since installing the T650 syncing software, the only irritable thing happening is that my old Visor no longer syncs the addresses from my Outlook, the same location that my T650 successfully syncs my Address/Contact info (I am still clinging onto my Visor just to have a quick address book handy next to my home phone). Hey, mg48: do you think Happydyas would work?
    Here is the PalmOne knowledgebase article explaining the different Outlook conduits:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=25802

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Tanster, you rock! Will check out. -TG
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    Here is the PalmOne knowledgebase article explaining the different Outlook conduits:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=25802

That link explains the different names of the databases, and makes sense, except that it doesn't answer the question at hand: Why does the Treo have BOTH of each app listed in RAM?
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    That link explains the different names of the databases, and makes sense, except that it doesn't answer the question at hand: Why does the Treo have BOTH of each app listed in RAM?

from the DB5 yahoo groups...

"If you have a Treo-650 or Tungsten T5 - read this ...

With one of these two devices, you have already realized that the
    inefficient NVFS storage is awfully expensive when storing small databases -
    especially on the Treo-650 which only has 24mb of available memory.

The worst part of this inefficiency is when a third party application tries
    to access one of the classic PalmSource PIM apps. As you know, the kludgy
    Datamanager patch steps in and creates a mirror of their proprietary
    database and populates it with the same number of records, but with NO data.
    Normally, this database takes up little room since the only space is taken
    up by the record header (I forget exactly, but the header is somewhere
    around 6-8 bytes in size). But with the inefficient NVFS storage whereby a
    512 byte sector only ever handles one record, these "empty" mirror database
    explode in size. For example, a database with 1,000 records will never be
    less than 512kb in size (1000 * 512 bytes), whereas on a regular Palm OS
    device that database would be only 6-8k or so - an almost hundredfold
    increase in size(!).

So the combination of NVFS AND the DM patch is a big problem storage-wise
    for Palm users of third party apps.

Now for some important information: the mirror databases ONLY get created if
    they are needed. V-5.4a, p7 of DateBk5 does not touch the Datebook database
    so the big mirror does not get created. BUT if you had previously installed
    an older version of DateBk, the mirror WAS created and won't go away by
    itself.

So the first step is to delete the DatebookDB database since your data is in
    the CalendarDB database. BUT - you have to be careful when deleting the
    DatebookDB database otherwise the palmOne DM Patch steps in and sees the
    delete of the datebook data and promptly mirrors the command into the
    calendar database, so both databases disappear. However, what you can do is
    delete just the Datebook database with a third party file utility like FileZ
    (which you can download from almost any Palm Software archive - I also keep
    a copy at: http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/filez.prc).

If you do that, the calendar data should remain intact, and you will gain
    back the storage taken by the unnecessary mirror of the Datebook database.
    Do the same for the Memos database - i.e. delete MEMODB with FileZ but leave
    the MEMOSDB alone. This will save quite a bit storage-wise!! In my case, I
    regained over 3mb of memory when I did that(!).

HOWEVER - caution is always advised - make sure you hotsync first AND that
    you have a good, separate backup of your Palm data, just in case something
    goes wrong.

Now keep in mind that ANY application that attempts to access the classic
    Datebook database will instantly cause the mirror database to reappear,
    gobbling up all that storage, so keep an eye out with FileZ in case they
    mysteriously re-appear!

I still suspect that some funny things are going on in the DM Patch, but
    everything above is something that I have done on my device and it
    definitely seems to work fine...

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc."If you have a Treo-650 or Tungsten T5 - read this ..."
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoGrande
    Since installing the T650 syncing software, the only irritable thing happening is that my old Visor no longer syncs the addresses from my Outlook, the same location that my T650 successfully syncs my Address/Contact info (I am still clinging onto my Visor just to have a quick address book handy next to my home phone). Hey, mg48: do you think Happydyas would work?
    Haydays will work on your old Visor and the new Treo 650
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Dutch

Can the AdressDB be deleted as well since we have the ContactsDB now?
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Thanks Dutchtrumpet, that was extremely helpful. I gained almost an entire MB with deletion of the mirrored database. I am about to do the same with the old ToDo db as well.

mg48 has a good question. Can we delete one of these db as well? Maybe I can just try it (I'll have to wait 'til later when I can sync again).
    Thanks for this important info. I use Agendus and I've successfully deleted the DatebookDB, MemoDB, AddressDB, and TodoDB files. I also noticed a few other files I was considering deleting: AddressCitiesDB, AddressCompaniesDB, AddressCountriesDB, AddressStatesDB, and AddressTitlesDB. Do you guys think these are safe to delete?

I also noticed two bloated files called ContactsAVIndex-PAdd, which seems to represent the anniversary data (199k for I think just one anniversary I have) and then ContactsBDIndex-PAdd, for the birthday data (I do have a handful of those and it is also 199k). Any idea on whether these can be safely deleted?
  14. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    AddressCitiesDB, AddressCompaniesDB, AddressCountriesDB, AddressStatesDB, and AddressTitlesDB. Do you guys think these are safe to delete?

I also noticed two bloated files called ContactsAVIndex-PAdd, which seems to represent the anniversary data (199k for I think just one anniversary I have) and then ContactsBDIndex-PAdd, for the birthday data (I do have a handful of those and it is also 199k). Any idea on whether these can be safely deleted?
    Don't delete the Address*DB, they are remembering fields that will be used to autofill later. If you do delete them, it's harmless though, they'll come back (empty).

As for ContactsBD and ContactsAV - I heve discovered that if you delete ContactsBD, then Datebook crashes the 650 when you start it. Restoring the file fixes. ContactsAV however seems to be a useless file. It has never been updated after many adds and deletes of contacts and birthdays, and deleting it doesn't seem to break anything. Didn't some versions of Datebook used to have anniversary support?

The files are large, btw, because of the NVFS behavior. If you copy them to the SD card you'll see they are really quite small otherwise. I believe they have one record per day, and 366 of them times 512 bytes plus some headers therefore makes them 199KB in the 650's memory, minimum.
    I have deleted:
    DatebkDB, MemosDB, TodoDB, AdressDB with AddressCitiesDB, AddressCompaniesDB, AddressCountriesDB, AddressStatesDB, and AddressTitlesDB. I win al lot of Mb and all is working perfect !
    Great !!!
    I have successfully deleted all of these db's (freeing up nearly 3 mb (!) on my treo 650, but some program must still be looking for the old datebook db name, so it frequently re-creates itself (as do the addressDb and memoDb). Has anyone found the app that will automatically delete these so I don't have to keep entering filez?
    Thanks
    ToDoDB keeps coming back for me... the other 3 old DBs seem to stay gone. DateBk5 & the Phone Contacts app seem to be the only culprits.
  18. gaf
    I am using Linux (jpilot) as my desktop system. I found that filez is a useful utility, but I want to be able to mass delete a number of records. I have been using Palm since at least 1997. I would like to be able to erase a range of dates, but the Treo only allows me to purge retaining only a month. In my case, I would like to purge entries maybe prior to 2004. (I go back at least to 1997).
    I also use the memo database very heavily and I would like to be able either to mark a number of records to be deleted without having to go through select/details/...
    Is there a utility on the Palm to be able to do this.

I can export a database to a CSV, edit the CSV, and import it.
  19. gaf
    [QUOTE=gaf]I am using Linux (jpilot) as my desktop system. I found that filez is a useful utility, but I want to be able to mass delete a number of records. I have been using Palm since at least 1997. I would like to be able to erase a range of dates, but the Treo only allows me to purge retaining only a month. In my case, I would like to purge entries maybe prior to 2004. (I go back at least to 1997).

I would like to thank Dutchtrumpet for his post and for pointing us to both filez and DateBK5. DateBK5 solves the problem because I can purge date records before a specified date. After looking at the other features, I think that I will most likely purchase the product. (And I also happen to be a strong OpenSource advocate).