1.    #1  
    have spoken to 2 fairly high level Palm staffers before the presetations --

They were accessable, polite, and passionate. I appreciated their candor and their arguments --- though I was largely unpersuaded.

SD card WIFI -- and writing drivers for it.

good news is that the 650's SD slot is sufficiently powerful to use SDIO cards - unlike the 600.

BAD news is that Palm is not certain to create/write the drivers even for their own SD wifi card. They believe that there are not enough customers who care enough about wifi to make it suffiently profitable to put the resources into writing the drivers.

They argue that the is not easy to write --- that being able to seamlessly swap between wifi, gprs etc is not simple --- while juggling bluetooth, battery life issues etc.

I pointed out the there are multible PPC phone that are able to handle this well (PDA2K, MPX, IPAQ etc.)

I suggested soon producing a wifi card that was not yet perfect (maybe with manual switching etc) was desirable and acceptable for those who want need wifi.

I was asked would I rather they take engineers off of writing drivers/software for the next treo that will have builtin wifi -- to work on the 650's drivers? YES YES I say -- Your competitor's PPC devices are out now -- many who need wifi are going to switch platforms -- and once lost Palm may never get those customers back.

Barry

(more later)
  2.    #2  
    very bright and usable keyboard -- typing works well -- better then 600's keyboard.

screen is bright and highly readable

camera is a able to produce decent pictures with the existing low interior light -- hard to know how much of a deficientcy that lack of 1 meg. will be -- wish it was.

Seeing fewer people with TC on the their name cards than expected. (I'm in the red T-shirt)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    They argue that the is not easy to write --- that being able to seamlessly swap between wifi, gprs etc is not simple --- while juggling bluetooth, battery life issues etc.

I pointed out the there are multible PPC phone that are able to handle this well (PDA2K, MPX, IPAQ etc.)

I suggested soon producing a wifi card that was not yet perfect (maybe with manual switching etc) was desirable and acceptable for those who want need wifi.
    It would be very stupid of them to wait until they had the perfect drivers before releasing any drivers. As you say, get the non-switching version out very very soon then work on the switching drivers, if there is sufficient support for it.
    Maybe someone could ask them why they put everyone through this exercise in futility known as "pre-order?"
  5.    #5  
    14 day trial version of voice command software will be included with the 650

They like Palm OS -- its flexiblility, simplicity, reliability -- and their engineers know it well. But they are not tied to the POS and will potentially explore PPC etc --- but don't bet on it.

Earlier (during pre-presentation) someone asked about why only 32 megs -- the answer was the cost of a larger memory chip multiplied by 300,000.

can they raise the price to reflect the larger costs??? will customers act differently according to more memory.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    It would be very stupid of them to wait until they had the perfect drivers before releasing any drivers. As you say, get the non-switching version out very very soon then work on the switching drivers, if there is sufficient support for it.
    pre-presentation I asked if they knew the phrase: "the perfect is the enemy of the good"

they said they understood-- (I really didn't believe them)
  7.    #7  
    (pre-presentaion) I was told that Cinqular expects the GSM to ship January
  8.    #8  
    SMS/MMS messages can have phone numbers inbedded within the message -- and that becomes a link that can be instantly dialable

photos into contact list much improved
  9.    #9  
    web browser uses space bar for improved usability --- can immediately stop large downloads --- swap to address bar, etc --- can scroll to text while graphics continue loading in the background.
    By far the biggest single improvement, to me, is the keyboard. I got some hands-on time before the presentation [pays to get there early ;-) ] and I can't believe how much easier the 650 is to type on than the 600.

It'll take more time to be sure, but I think I might not replace my folding keyboard when I upgrade to the 650.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    web browser uses space bar for improved usability --- can immediately stop large downloads --- swap to address bar, etc --- can scroll to text while graphics continue loading in the background.

You can do this with the existing Blazer in the 600. Hit the spacebar highlights the stop key, and then hit the center of the Nav.

I went to DC this morning and it looked like they combined WebPro and Blazer, leaning more towards Web Pro (even had the WebPro icon with Blazer name). All of the controls are at the top, ala WebPro, and not at the bottom like blazer.
    Oh I would also like to add that the 650 is a beautiful piece of hardware. Many functional improvements in form and keyboard. Screen and camera are awesome compared to the 600.

They made the same cost of memory requirement in reguards to 32 MB of RAM. The exact comment in the morning session was basically {Most power users are going to complain about 32 MB of RAM, but most users won't reach the max. It was a decision based on do you raise the cost of the device for all users just to satisfy the power user base.} Not an exact quote, but that was the gist and how I remember it.

I see Palm coming out with a new model with WiFi and some other improvements in about a year again. For a year (and I bet they had to lock this thing down 3 to 6 months ago) I think they did a good job of addressing a decent amount of issues. Improvements in Screen, camera, added Bluetooth, improved UI features, incorporated full Docs to Go, MP3 player (I will stick with PocketTunes) and Versamail, improved thumboard and button layout, improved processor, Flash memory so you can let the battery die and not lose power, removable/replacable battery. Since I just got a new Treo due to the battery connector issue after over a year of usage it is nice to know the battery shouldn't be an issue on this model.

I know some want revolutionary like when the 600 came out, but the next few years will likely be evolutionary for the Treo line, with further improvements to form factor, UI, and adding WIFI at some point.