1.    #1  
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but here's a pretty nifty alarm app called TreoAlarm which displays the weather forecast for you when the alarm goes off.

I think there are few areas that the author could improve on (eg. provide various weather sites to download from), but I think it's a good start.

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention... it's FREE.
    Last edited by TR30; 11/18/2004 at 04:55 AM.
    I just downloaded the app and started playing with it; thanks for the tip!
    Josť

Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    Watch out though. It doesn't seem to totally disconnect from the internet so you may have calls going to voicemail unless you manually disconnect after using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    Watch out though. It doesn't seem to totally disconnect from the internet so you may have calls going to voicemail unless you manually disconnect after using it.
    I noticed that and went to the website, then contacted the developer. He promptly replied to ask whether that should be automatic always or user defined. I explained that it should be user defined in case the user wants to jump to a weather site to check a radar map or something.

I also suggested more than one city at a time, and the inclusion of Puerto Rico as a U.S. state -- since we are a U.S. commonwealth -- and the U.S. Virgin Islands are included already.

He mentioned that he would keep it in beta for 2-4 more months, and then charge $10-$20 per year for updates, etc. Seems reasonable to me if the app becomes really useful, as I am dissatisfied with the weather SMS services from Yahoo! and others.
    Josť

Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    Too bad it doesn't use MP3 files. I haven't played with the app yet but does the alarm continue to loop until you clear it or does it just stop?
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    I ran into this same problem. This actually happens with quite a few apps. So I downloaded and am trialing "Treo600 Connection Manager" that enables the user to allows the user to setup a disconnect after a certain amount of time. Exceptions include stay connected if on, and stay connected in specified apps. Pretty slick so far. Its $10 bucks. Not sure if there is a better solution out there besides talking to this developer (ala Shimon's fix in "4Cast" auto-disconnecting). Here's the link: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=53537
    This public beta may be free, but don't be fooled. IT WILL BE DISABLED IN 30 DAYS. Even though this software is well designed, their failure to disclose this time limitation gets them an F -- I don't do business with vendors who use unethical practices. This is NOT a "public beta." The software is mature and all they are doing is hooking unsuspecting users. If they had disclosed this, I still would have tried it and not feel disrespected and cheated. But since they chose to market it this way, I will do without it. There are plenty of good alarms out there, and weather is just a click away on the Treo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TR30
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but here's a pretty nifty alarm app called TreoAlarm which displays the weather forecast for you when the alarm goes off. I think there are few areas that the author could improve on (eg. provide various weather sites to download from), but I think it's a good start. Edit: Oops, forgot to mention... it's FREE.
    You've never heard of a time-limited public beta? Guess not.

Anyways, the developer is using the beta software as beta software is intended - to solicit feedback and show off his work. You could call it "hooking users" but how exactly is that different than any shareware product? The developer has not stated the terms of the license moving forward toward the final release, but saying the beta is free, which it is, is not dishonest.

You ascribe a lot of motive when I don't really think there is any there.

-adi

Quote Originally Posted by johnh44
    This public beta may be free, but don't be fooled. IT WILL BE DISABLED IN 30 DAYS. Even though this software is well designed, their failure to disclose this time limitation gets them an F -- I don't do business with vendors who use unethical practices. This is NOT a "public beta." The software is mature and all they are doing is hooking unsuspecting users. If they had disclosed this, I still would have tried it and not feel disrespected and cheated. But since they chose to market it this way, I will do without it. There are plenty of good alarms out there, and weather is just a click away on the Treo anyway.
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh44
    Welcome to the forums johnh44. Fairly harsh post for your first one wouldn't ya say? I'm not sure if the developer was trying to keep this fact such a secret as you suggest. I was certainly aware of this timing scenario as I'm sure others were. Labeling someone as unethical when his terms are known is rediculous at best. And if your post was really meant to be a public service announcement perhaps you should consider posting the names of the alternative apps you mentioned.