Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering the ibook and was wondering what you guys are using since I've noticed a lot of Mac users here?

Thanks

M.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Hi Mom,
    Ibooks are a great choice for the budget minded. I personally use a 15' AL G4 Powerbook,. The ibook recently got a processor boost and some other things.
    I'd recomend getting more memory and do not buy memory from apple as you can get it third party for less. I haven't had any problems with my 600 and my mac. Mac's work well, play nice with windows and the like. Ibooks are also a bit more rugged than the powerbooks, but the powerbooks are lean and mean. I guess it depends on your usage. Well I am off to the Florida Classic, ttyl
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Depends on what you use it for....I have an iMac (G4) at the office and a 2 going on 3 yr old iBook (G3).

A couple of my guys asked for new laptops and I told them to get the 12" iBook...because their primary use is email, word, excel, normal business type stuff. The iBook has been upgraded recently and if you decide on that, look closely at 12" vs. 14"...the latter is bigger,heavier, little more battery life but screen results in same image for viewer. And iBooks have the best wi-fi (better than powerbook) connections!

Now to the PowerBook, which my son uses at college; his is also the smaller 12" version. If you go to apple.com, to their apple store and compare specs, you'll see not that significant difference between lower end powerbooks vs. iBook. Of course if you get the 17" Powerbook, that is different story.

I would recommend (assume you're not heavy gamer or graphics user) the iBook and like the earlier post, invest in additional RAM (at least 512 but preferably up to 768 or 1GB), buy the apple care protection (yes it is expensive but well worth it if you plan to use it for next 3 years!). In fact my iBook will need to be upgraded either end of this year or next, and I'll probably get another iBook (even though my company would pay the extra for the powerbook)....I travel a lot and the weight, battery life and wi-fi is more important than other bells/whistles.
    I use a 15" Powerbook G4. I would highy recommend a higher end iBook as opposed to a lower end 12" Powerbook. I agree with the aforementioned posts.
    I use a 15 Al Powerbook too and would lose my mind without it. The most important thing you can do for speed is to increase the ram. I run photoshop flash, and ableton live and never really see it slow down. However the ibook has increased speed in the new ones....but....the powerbook is just, well.....pretty. There is no laptop that completed visually in my book.
    I use a 15" Powerbook G4 connected to a 23" Cinema Display with bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
    Also a 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook here, having passed the 800MHz Titanium PowerBook to my son for college.

The main difference with PowerBook vs. iBook is the complement of connectors. PowerBooks are generally aimed at professionals, who will pay for FireWire 800, built-in BlueTooth, larger screen sizes, lighted keyboard, and dual video. Otherwise, the two models are quite similar. Both can take the Airport Extreme wireless network card.

(Dual video means you can plug a projector into the video connector and show your presentation on the projector. Meanwhile, your built-in screen can show something else. With an iBook, you can "mirror" your internal display onto the projector, but the display and projector can't show separate images.)
    I want a 23 in Display too..... wah! lol
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    I also have a 15" G4 PB and would recommend it. Wanted PCMCIA card slot for memory card xfers (I just hate having to carry all those USB cables around) and I maxed out the memory. This is my first Mac after years in a Windows/Linux/Unix world and it is kinda growing on me... I have been using those ultralight Windows laptops for quite a while since I travel alot and I'm hoping I won't mind the additional weight. It has been very nice to have compatibilty with an array of s/w and all the built-in stuff like the SuperDrive. I do miss the right mouse button, though ;-)

Good luck,
    Mike
    15" Al PB, 1.25 Ghz, 1GB RAM,

If it were my mom asking, I'd definately say 12" iBook, and to keep her PC monitor to hook up...yes it's a mirrored display, but when you're at home you can have a bigger screen (my mom hates "those tiny icons"). iBooks are such a good buy that I'd say there's no excuse not to buy one unless you are geek enough to envy the PowerBook or actually will use the extra Power. The specs on the surface aren't that divergent between them, which means for normal every day things they're pretty much the same. The under the hood differences, like the subtle differences in the P4 processors and logic board architecture become apparent when you do processor intensive tasks like high end video editing (beyond what iMovie does, iBook rocks with iMovie, and that is all most people need) and working with *large* Photoshop files, etc.

Other things that you can get with a PowerBook that are nice but not important are a nicer looking screen that auto adjusts brightness, sleeker feel and look, back lit keyboard that adjusts to lighting conditions, keys that don't feel like plastic, faster FireWire (not a whole lot out there that uses it yet though, and I have my doubts the market will be in a hurry to make products since USB is a lot more wide spread).

dtsm is right, you need the AppleCare. I love Apple laptops, but if something goes wrong, you'll be so glad you could go to the nearest Apple Store if you have one and drop it off and get it fixed (almost always) pain free.

But you're not my mom, you're GeekyMom, and if you have no qualms about spending more on the PowerBook, I'd say go for it. My opinion though is you should get the 15" PowerBook. If you value the size of the 12", then you are probably more likely in the iBook target audience and don't need to spend the extra money. 12" PowerBook is more like executive jewelry to me, something that is too gussied up asthetically than it's functional value. 12" PB users please argue with me, I'd be happy to change my mind on that.
    work2fish, check out SideTrack
    http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/
    You can remap your button to be right-click and then tap for left click, add horizontal and vertical edge scrolling, map corner taps to keystrokes (like Expose for example). This worked for me quite well during its beta. Drove other people who tried to use it crazy though hehe. Costs $15, but wouldn't you spend that on a mouse?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpryce
    15" Al PB, 1.25 Ghz, 1GB RAM,

If it were my mom asking, I'd definately say 12" iBook, and to keep her PC monitor to hook up...yes it's a mirrored display, but when you're at home you can have a bigger screen (my mom hates "those tiny icons"). iBooks are such a good buy that I'd say there's no excuse not to buy one unless you are geek enough to envy the PowerBook or actually will use the extra Power. The specs on the surface aren't that divergent between them, which means for normal every day things they're pretty much the same. The under the hood differences, like the subtle differences in the P4 processors and logic board architecture become apparent when you do processor intensive tasks like high end video editing (beyond what iMovie does, iBook rocks with iMovie, and that is all most people need) and working with *large* Photoshop files, etc.

Other things that you can get with a PowerBook that are nice but not important are a nicer looking screen that auto adjusts brightness, sleeker feel and look, back lit keyboard that adjusts to lighting conditions, keys that don't feel like plastic, faster FireWire (not a whole lot out there that uses it yet though, and I have my doubts the market will be in a hurry to make products since USB is a lot more wide spread).

dtsm is right, you need the AppleCare. I love Apple laptops, but if something goes wrong, you'll be so glad you could go to the nearest Apple Store if you have one and drop it off and get it fixed (almost always) pain free.

But you're not my mom, you're GeekyMom, and if you have no qualms about spending more on the PowerBook, I'd say go for it. My opinion though is you should get the 15" PowerBook. If you value the size of the 12", then you are probably more likely in the iBook target audience and don't need to spend the extra money. 12" PowerBook is more like executive jewelry to me, something that is too gussied up asthetically than it's functional value. 12" PB users please argue with me, I'd be happy to change my mind on that.
    No argument on your last point, if you're thinking of the 12"PB, then better to buy the 12" iBook, spend the difference on extra extra RAM, apple care protection plan...especially now that bluetooth and airport extreme included in even the basic 12"iBook.

Who cares how sexy the PB looks -- I sit down at airport lounges next to PB users and we get along just fine :-) Especially if my wireless connection/signal is better than theirs'!
    Well<well. Look who has come to the mac side?

The only reason I got a 15 PB was the DVD bu 
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I'm considering the ibook and was wondering what you guys are using since I've noticed a lot of Mac users here?

Thanks

M.
    The 12 inch i book has recently been upgraded and the price is down too. If I were getting another mac, thats what I would get
    Quote Originally Posted by dtsm
    No argument on your last point, if you're thinking of the 12"PB, then better to buy the 12" iBook, spend the difference on extra extra RAM, apple care protection plan...especially now that bluetooth and airport extreme included in even the basic 12"iBook.

Who cares how sexy the PB looks -- I sit down at airport lounges next to PB users and we get along just fine :-) Especially if my wireless connection/signal is better than theirs'!
    Hi GeekyMom,
    I have a 15" 1Ghz PB Ti 1 Gig RAM with a DVD burner. My wife has a 14" iBook G4 with no DVD Burner. There's not a lot of difference between our laptops when carrying out typical computer tasks like Office, Internet and iPhoto, etc. other than aesthetics. I agree with all of the above fellow Mac people, but I would have to ask: Are you going to want to use iMovie & iDVD and burn your own movies? If so, then you should at least consider the 12" PB. And whatever you do, get more RAM
    If you have any questions, please do post. I find Mac people are always willing to help out other Mac people
    As for me, I'm hoping we see a G5 PowerBook soon
    Began with an ebay powerbook 1400cs, for $100 bucks. Moved up to an ibook, now a PROUD owner of a powerbook G4 12" .....I went refurb, saved a few hundred bucks.
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_lady
    Began with an ebay powerbook 1400cs, for $100 bucks. Moved up to an ibook, now a PROUD owner of a powerbook G4 12" .....I went refurb, saved a few hundred bucks.

So GeekyMom -- with all of our advice, have you gone shopping yet?
    15" TiBook 550, Treo 180

Like work2fish I really wanted PC card / cardbus slot (we don't call 'em PCMCIA anymore!) and the G4 processor. Now that iBooks have G4's, I'd definitely say they are a better value. (nonetheless, I plan to upgrade to an aluminum as soon as I can afford it). Better graphics card and display on Powerbooks, s-video makes hookin' up to the TV a breeze.
    -mbd26
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtsm
    So GeekyMom -- with all of our advice, have you gone shopping yet?
    Lol, still on the fence.

After getting burned with my Toshiba Satelite I know I won't be getting a new lap top. So I've been purusing E-bay for a decent G3.

Anyone got a nice reasonable priced one for sale, PM me.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Lol, still on the fence.

After getting burned with my Toshiba Satelite I know I won't be getting a new lap top. So I've been purusing E-bay for a decent G3.

Anyone got a nice reasonable priced one for sale, PM me.

Are you still interested in a Apple G3 laptop ? I have an iBook G3 700mhz for sale in perfect working condition. If interested please let me know and we can talk about details. I tried to PM you but your PM box is full.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast