Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    1st Thanks to all you guys who provided help in giving me information on the kinds of Macs you are using.

Buying another laptop was more of a process than I thought it would have been. But I just didn't want to "get" one. There is such variances in processors in Windows and the Mac was a strong contender. Until I went to a Compusa store the other day and checked one out again.

I know it's a better system but I just did not like the sterile bland look and feel of it. LOL, I'm sure I will regret this if I start having problems with Win, but one can hope.

I decided to go with the new HP DV1000 model and just ordered today. At 5.3 lbs, 14 inch screen, a stand alone DVD player, burner, wireless and handsome keyboard set up with illuminating blue lights. I know these cosmetic features may sound frivious, but hey. (Cons: while it is not great for gaming, I'm not a gamer anyway.)

It is the DV1060 model, 1.6 ghz, 512 MB and 60 GB for $1,199 newly listed at Office Depot.

Wish me well and carry on Macers!

Reviews: Doesnt hurt that it got great reviews.. But aside from the size and features the bottom line to me was my comfort and feeling using the unit.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1722288,00.asp (Editor's Choice)
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2106
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/28/2005 at 06:58 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I decided to go with the new HP DV1000 model and just ordered today. At 5.3 lbs, 14 inch screen, a stand alone DVD player, burner, wireless and handsome keyboard set up with illuminating blue lights. I know these cosmetic features may sound frivious, but hey. (Cons: while it is not great for gaming, I'm not a gamer anyway.)
    I would say the illuminated keyboard is more function than cosmetic..

Anyways, to chime in:
    G4 1Ghz PowerMac Mirror

Looking though to get an iBook to replace my now keyboard-less Vaio laptop.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Oh man, I can't believe you skipped the mac!!!! 3 months with one, and you will NEVER use a PC again, I promise you that. Well, maybe try again in a few years.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by slffl
    Oh man, I can't believe you skipped the mac!!!! 3 months with one, and you will NEVER use a PC again, I promise you that. Well, maybe try again in a few years.
    Thanks. Ambitious but I'm hoping I will get more years than less with the new lappy.

P.S. It includes a Media center with Remote for the DVD player.

Here is my new tech addition:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Thanks. Ambitious but I'm hoping I will get more years than less with the new lappy.

P.S. It includes a Media center with Remote for the DVD player.

Here is my new tech addition:
    I do like that about that laptop. You can watch a movie without booting, correct?

But I'd disagree with your first comment. I think Macs have longer staying power than Windows machines.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #46  
    Yes it is a stand alone DVD and CD player.

No, you are right, I think a Mac will out-last my HP. I'm just hoping the HP will last longer than the last laptop.

Yes it is a stand alone DVD and CD player.

No, you are right, I think a Mac will out-last my HP. I'm just hoping the HP will last longer than the last laptop.
    For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat you were. Need to replace my dearly departed Vaio laptop, and I am fence sitting. Probably end up going with a Powerbook. (But I do like those HP's.)

Already have a PowerMac so it won't be quite the culture shock you worried about.

8.    #48  
    I checked out one Vaio model (a nicely priced display at CC) but it was a little too heavy and did not have a DVD burner. I guess I like it because of a movie I saw it in with Jack Nicholson. -lol

PS, Just went to Geektopic. I need to transfer program files from my Toshiba to my HP but I'm not sure the CD burner is working. Will try again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123