Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Sorry about that, just cleaned some ancient stuff out. Check your PM.

Thanks,

M.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    My advice for anyone deciding which Mac to get is to find an Apple retail store near you and go play with all of the various configurations of laptops and desktops to find out what you like/want/need. Apple does a remarkable job of keeping their product line fairly simple, yet offering a wide variety of configurations and options. Even if you're looking to buy used this can be helpful because of Apple's tendency to keep their product lines simple over time... (eg. older equipment in the same line tends to have similar feature sets...)

I would also strongly encourage you to purchase an extended warranty with *any* computer you buy from any manufacturer—especially laptops. Laptops tend to have a lot rougher lives than desktops simply because they tend to get moved around and in the process get a lot more jostled around. I am less emphatic about purchasing extra warranties on desktops, but still recommend it. As any computer ages, the likelihood that a component will fail goes up—so having an extended warranty can be a lifesaver.

That said, I have had plenty of experience with Apple's product line both personally and professionally, and am very impressed by their reliability—and by Apple’s quick support on the rare occasion that something does go wrong. Between myself, my siblings, their significant others, and my parents, we have:
    3- 12” iBooks, ranging from 600 MHz to 1.2 GHz.
    1- 14” iBook. I think it’s between 800 MHz and 1 Ghz.
    2- 14” “Powerbook (Firewire)”s.
    1- 1.33 GHz 12” PB (mine)
    1- 1 GHz 17” PB.
    Also, out of use:
    1- 14” Powebook “Wallstreet”. Finally wore out after many years of very very heavy use.
    1- 15” 500 MHz Powerbook. An icy step caused the user to drop the case it was in and then partially land on it. Dented the casing and put a quarter inch dead stripe down the center of the screen, but still works great.

Overall I think we’re all very happy with our Macs and how reliable they’ve been… we’ve had very few problems, and they’ve basically all been taken care of very quickly by Apple.

I also deal with a great number of Macs, both laptops and desktops, new and old, in an educational environment for one of my clients, and can make a similar statement about them-- they're very reliable.

Getting burned by Toshiba-- I'm hearing more and more of that of late. I have two clients with Toshiba Satellite laptops -- both machines a little over a year old, and both have had the hard drive die within the last few months... Toshiba wouldn't replace either hard drive even though they were *just* out of the basic 1 year warranty.

Good luck!!
    Recently got my iBook 12", u really can't go wrong with it! Does 90% of what I need to do with a computer... another 5% is currently being handled by Playstation 2 counterparts, and the final 5% will be handled with VirtualPC if I ever get around to buying it (because there's no AutoCAD for Mac at the moment). Awesome system and more likely to turn heads than ur typical Windows/Linux based laptops.
  4.    #24  
    Thanks to all of you for your help and input.

Honestly, being a Windows user I find myself a little leary of changing
    platforms.

But I had a little spill this week on my Toshiba so this may hasten my
    purchase.

QUESTION? Could someone please tell me how simple would it be to tranfer Windows files into an Apple platform?

If you have a minute, this Ebay ad has caught my eye and I would like your
    feedback on this P4 ibook below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...154040020&rd=1

Thanks again.

-GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I use a PB G4 550 17" and a iMac 800 with Missing Sync on both.
    If you don't want to track down files and settings and everything yourself, I would try this:

Move2Mac

Transfers everything; e-mail and e-mail account information, network settings, videos, photos...
    I use a PowerBook Pismo (G3/500), but have purchashed an Acer Ferrari 3000 to use for more modern applications (it's a windoze machine, but I run linux). My next Mac will be another PowerBook, but I'm waiting for a G5.
    me - PowerMac G5 (single 1.8 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM)
    - PowerBook G4 (12")

partner - iMac G4 flat screen

Home networked by Airport Extreme and Airport Express
    Personal: 15" TiPB 1GHz, with 512RAM, SuperDrive
    Work: 733MHz G4, 1.25GigRAM 22"CRT
    Shasta (Treo 650)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Thanks to all of you for your help and input.

Honestly, being a Windows user I find myself a little leary of changing
    platforms.

But I had a little spill this week on my Toshiba so this may hasten my
    purchase.

QUESTION? Could someone please tell me how simple would it be to tranfer Windows files into an Apple platform?

If you have a minute, this Ebay ad has caught my eye and I would like your
    feedback on this P4 ibook below:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...154040020&rd=1

Thanks again.

-GM
    There are a number of ways to transfer your files to a Mac. You can burn them onto a CD if you have a CD burner. Macs will read PC formatted disks right out of the box. You can also connect both machines to a network and transfer the files -- this would be the fastest way, but it's a little more difficult to set up. Or, like archie said, you can use move2mac.

Regarding the auction, I suggest shopping around. Here is an example of the deals you can get on a NEW ibook: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ibook/.

For $899 get a 1 GHz, or for $994 get a 1.2 GHz and it's all free shipping.

I think you'll really enjoy the Mac...it's a totally different (better) experience from using a Windows PC.
    P.S. - I'm still using an 800MHz dual G4 that I bought in August 2001. Macs have a very long lifespan compared to PCs. My 3.5 year old machine runs noticably faster than my 6-month old thinkpad I have for work, and OS X rocks.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    There are a number of ways to transfer your files to a Mac. You can burn them onto a CD if you have a CD burner. Macs will read PC formatted disks right out of the box. You can also connect both machines to a network and transfer the files -- this would be the fastest way, but it's a little more difficult to set up. Or, like archie said, you can use move2mac.

Regarding the auction, I suggest shopping around. Here is an example of the deals you can get on a NEW ibook: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ibook/.

For $899 get a 1 GHz, or for $994 get a 1.2 GHz and it's all free shipping.

I think you'll really enjoy the Mac...it's a totally different (better) experience from using a Windows PC.
    Thanks. I was back looking at Windows and the Athlon 64 with Utra Brite screen. I have to give the Mac a closer look again. Tomorrow I will be at my girfriend's house and she and her husband both have Macs so I will take a moment to sit own with one, its been a while.

Don't be fooled by the "Ultra Brite" screens that Windoze machines are boasting these days. Yes, they are better than the crappy screens that they've been coming with for years, but they aren't any better than the screens on PowerBooks! My 17" PowerBook (1.5GHz) has the best screen I've ever seen in a laptop, even better than the "Ultra Brite" screen that my brother-in-law just got on his brand new PC laptop!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have had my 12 inch Al Powerbook now for almost two years, and the only upgrade that I've done on it has been adding Airport Extreme card. It has been running like a champ, with no upgrades, when I got it I had OS X 10.2 and I upgraded that to 10.3 and I didn't need anymore hardware or anything, runs perfectly! It easily blows my PC away, and I've got a newly built PC! As far as my Treo goes, smooth as ice!
    I picked up one of the new half-gig iPod shuffles today. Although I certainly wouldn't get rid of my regular iPod in favor of it, this little thing is FANTASTIC. It's biggest advantages are that it's lightweight and can deal just fine with being dropped and banged around, so it's ideal for the gym, yardwork, etc. I normally carry around a USB thumb drive in my bag in case I need to copy and move data...I'll just carry this around instead (it can be used for both data and music at the same time). Also, iTunes handles having both connected at the same time with no problem.

By the way, you don't have to have it choose and shuffle random songs. Although it can do that, you can also select what you want on there and choose to play them in order rather than shuffling.

Two big thumbs up.
  16.    #36  
    Do you guys reallly get 6 hrs (or near it) of battery usage? Aso, how fragile is the ibook. I spoke to someone at the MacMall today and he was stressing the 3 year Care plan. Is it really needed or just a sales tatic.

Here is one of the units I"m now considering along with a HP and a Dell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...156661169&rd=1

You don't have to buy Apple care right away just do it before the warranty ends and ou ok. I would think by then you'll have a good idea if you want Apple Care or not.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Got my iPod shuffle today, too cool!! Anybody got one of those $499 Mac Minis yet?? Looks faster than my old Power Mac Quicksilver.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    I have a Treo 650, a 17" Powerbook, a Dell Latitude laptop, and a home-built Windows XP machine in a Shuttle XPC case, all networked either through Bluetooth or a wired LAN through a Linksys switcher.

I'll be honest, transferring files between these machines is not as transparent as the manufacturers say it is...but, worst case scenario, you can just access each of the other machines via a direct IP address. One of the secrets, though, is to unify your login and password on all the machines you are sharing between. That simplifies things greatly.

In practice, I transfer files between the Mac and PC's daily (we also have an iMac and a dual-processor G4 in the house), and they all play together pretty nicely. I've never gotten corrupted data or anything in over a year of using our current setup.

Also, anecdotally, my neighbor just bought his wife a 15" Powerbook, and they've had similar luck: one Apple machine running OS X in an all-Windows household, and everything from file transfers to wireless networking goes off without a hitch.

FWIW, I am currently synching my Treo 650 to my Powerbook - my main machine - and with the iSync Conduit for PalmOS from Apple, I don't even use Palm Desktop anymore.

Hope this helps!
    I bought a g3 ibook off ebay a while back for $350. I also have an XP machine and just got my Mac Mini. Now to decide which one my 650 will have a dedicated relationship with....
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast