1.    #1  
    Does anyone know, specifically, what's involved in enabling the Exchange support for Mobile devices? Is it known to be a security risk, or anything like that?

My company is migrating to Exchange, but is not allowing us POP access because they feel it's insecure. I'm hoping to convince them to open up Exchange so that I use it with the 650 and the new Exchange support.

Anyone?

Mike
    opening up any microsoft product is a security risk...
    Treo 650 supports microsoft activesync for Exchage 2003, in addition to POP and IMAP. Or you can always use vendors like Seven, Visto, or Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK2
    Does anyone know, specifically, what's involved in enabling the Exchange support for Mobile devices? Is it known to be a security risk, or anything like that?
    Good white paper here - published by Motorola.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/te...iledevices.asp
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650

My company is migrating to Exchange, but is not allowing us POP access because they feel it's insecure. I'm hoping to convince them to open up Exchange so that I use it with the 650 and the new Exchange support.

Anyone?

Mike
    the easy way to enable it in exchange is to switch to qmail and drop that load of $@#! that microsoft fobs off as an email server.

not to be opinionated or anything. but whens the last time your exchange server ran for two years without a reboot or crash?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Does anyone know? PPC devices using activesync can sync contacts. The versamail program manual says it doesn't. It only syncs mail and calendar events. Is this due to limitations in the activesync protocol that palmone licensed or is it a limitation of versamail. Maybe MS refused to let palm sync with all the items a PPC can? Also does anyone know about the retrevial period being 7 days for calendar events. I'm assuming that this means you can only retrieve 7 days worth but you could have many more days worth on your calendar? Wouldn't it be difficult to look at the phone and schedule a meeting for next month without being able to see prior appointments? I don't get the day thing? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    not to be opinionated or anything. but whens the last time your exchange server ran for two years without a reboot or crash?
    I had to bring my Exchange 2000 box down the other day to add some RAM but until then it was up 364 days, 17 hours, 57 minutes, and 24 seconds. I was so pissed - a little over six hours later and I could have had an entire year!!! Granted, I only have about 80 users on the box, but I was impressed.
    I'm not an admin, but I have been doing a lot of research on this. From what I gather, if you have OWA/OMA enabled with a SSL front-end server open to port 443 you will be good to go. Everyone in my office runs crackberries, but I like the Treo a lot more. I guess we won't know for sure what will work until someone actually tries it.

Keeping my fingers crossed...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    What about Exchange Server 2000?
    Sorry, I don't know anything about 2000.

This thread really should not have been moved. I would think a lot of people interested in the 650 are curious about Exchange compatibility. Maybe the OP can change the title and have the thread moved back to 650 forum?
    nope active sync only works with 2003.

cheers,
    Deam
    Active Sync will work with Exchange 2000, but it requires running Mobile Information Server 2001 or 2002 in conjunction with Exchange 2000. It's much more simple implementation with just E2K3 though.
    We use MS Exchange OWA - Outlook Web Access for web based email when away from the office. This isn't good on a T600/T650. I found ow-pda by leederbyshire.com. $189 per server, but gives you a cleaner interface for pda devices. I use it for my T650, but many of our users like it for PPC or other Palm devices.

Take a look at www.leederbyshire.com.

Anyone?

Mike
    Active Sync uses SSL for 'over the air' synchronization so it's about as secure as you can get (as long as you require 128 bit encryption when you install your certificate on the IIS server you'll be using for Active Sync).

It's common for any company doing internet-based transactions to use 128 bit SSL security, but these types of businesses usually have a process for updating their perimiter systems with the latest security patches regularly and scan for vulnerabilities. If you're not doing that, you'll have bigger issues than using Active Sync. Anything that touches the Public Internet is inherently unsecure anyway.
    GoodLink's security model is about as tight as you will be able to find, using AES from end to end with the key being autmatically changed every 30 days. If you view http://www.good.com/downloads/GoodLi...epaper_4_0.pdf you can see how GoodLink's security works.