Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I'm going bezerk here. I can't believe Sprint is getting the phones out before the friggin manufacturer...anyhow, I have a question for you all.

We are all obviously geeks to the nTH degree, myself included. I've preordered with P1 solely to save on tax and get the free BT headset. My order still says "backordered" and I just placed it this past weekend. In other words, I have no idea when it will ship.

On the flip side, I learned that Sprint has the 650's and is shipping now. I broke down and ordered a unit from Sprint today, but it won't be delivered until Friday.

My delimina is this...I was going to use the Sprint purchased phone until the P1 shipment and BT headset comes in, then return the Sprint phone. This way I will save myself from having a breakdown under the pandemonium of this Treo-fiasco.

Now I know there are others on this forum that are thinking the EXACT same thing I am. Is this highly unethical or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Okay, I'm going bezerk here. I can't believe Sprint is getting the phones out before the friggin manufacturer...anyhow, I have a question for you all.

We are all obviously geeks to the nTH degree, myself included. I've preordered with P1 solely to save on tax and get the free BT headset. My order still says "backordered" and I just placed it this past weekend. In other words, I have no idea when it will ship.

On the flip side, I learned that Sprint has the 650's and is shipping now. I broke down and ordered a unit from Sprint today, but it won't be delivered until Friday.

My delimina is this...I was going to use the Sprint purchased phone until the P1 shipment and BT headset comes in, then return the Sprint phone. This way I will save myself from having a breakdown under the pandemonium of this Treo-fiasco.

Now I know there are others on this forum that are thinking the EXACT same thing I am. Is this highly unethical or what?

If you need to ask it probably is
    I think it's unethical (usually when people have to ask, well, you really know the answer). Even if you don't listen to me, though, remember Sprint can tell what kind of phone it is you are using. So at least they may be able to deduce your intentions.
    Every time a Treo-geek does this, God kills a kitten.

Please. Think of the poor kittens.

My question to you is -- do you qualify for the upgrade rebate through Sprint? If so, you'll actually save money purchasing from Sprint:

Sprint --> $650 phone + $8 sh&h + $72 Jabra BT250 - $150 rebate = $580
    PalmOne --> $600 phone & Jabra BT250

FYI, Buy.com is selling the Jabra BT250 for $72 w/ free shipping
    go.digital
    Just sell the one you get from P1 on ebay, keep the hedset, no one gets hurt... Ebayers will pay to have it shiped out ASAP, so you likely wont lose any money, and you get the phone friday... I think these are still going to be in tight supply until Q1 so it should be easy to unload the extra phone. if worse ocmes to worse return one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by dulan
    My question to you is -- do you qualify for the upgrade rebate through Sprint? If so, you'll actually save money purchasing from Sprint:

Don't forget the LIKELYHOOD of qualifying for the same $150 upgrade rebate with your Palmone receipt
    dulan - $150 can be saved through palm one also, rebate still works
  9.    #9  
    Well, I have no chance of getting the $150. I change phones too often to be remotely eligible for the 18 month rebate (and I have no reason to add a line).

I've been thinking...and I'll just either cancel my P1 order or ebay the P1 unit. I need to be able to sleep at night. :-)

You sound like a scary dude! Please don't date my sister.
    Quote Originally Posted by dulan

Well,
    Don't forget the fact that Sprint will charge Tax too...which will be around $45 bucks...
    Palmone doesnt charge tax...So even with sprint's rebate...you still pay more for the total package.
    Your Sprint phone will have to be returned within 15 days from what I hear, so you will most likely have to return it before you get your PalmOne phone. I'm thinking Sprint is betting that you will not be able to send back such a prize phone.

I've ordered from ViennaChannels, but it's becoming increasing difficult not to order from Sprint or PalmOne. I'm quite tempted myself to get one now and just sell the one I receive from the Roadshow on eBay. Is that morally corrupt as well? Frankly, I don't think so at all.
    ........My delimina is this...I was going to use the Sprint purchased phone until the P1 shipment and BT headset comes in, then return the Sprint phone. This way I will save myself from having a breakdown under the pandemonium of this Treo-fiasco.

In dealing with P1, there is no such thing as ethics. They are sleeze. The only way to behave ethically when dealing with sleeze is not to deal with them. As soon as you decide to deal with them, you are in a space in which there are no rules.
    true....

ethical would have been shipping the phones when they first SAID they were shipping the phones and not driven everyone crazy :P
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    true....

ethical would have been shipping the phones when they first SAID they were shipping the phones and not driven everyone crazy :P
    The reality is they said it was a pre-order and phones would ship from 2-3 weeks. All of the rumors said otherwise.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/486-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Your Sprint phone will have to be returned within 15 days from what I hear, so you will most likely have to return it before you get your PalmOne phone. I'm thinking Sprint is betting that you will not be able to send back such a prize phone.

I've ordered from ViennaChannels, but it's becoming increasing difficult not to order from Sprint or PalmOne. I'm quite tempted myself to get one now and just sell the one I receive from the Roadshow on eBay. Is that morally corrupt as well? Frankly, I don't think so at all.
    I read that they extend the return policy for purchases after 11/15? Is this true?
    They must be making more money off the Sprint sales than their own sales. I'm not sure how this would work, but why else would the do this?
    The interesting thing about smartphone sales is that the provider is the king of the mountain. The manufacturers (esp. weak ones like PLMO, not so much Nokia, Samsung and the like) basically have to do whatever they say. I'm sure Sprint said "as part of the exclusivity agreement, not only do we get them before other carriers, but we get them before you, palmOne."
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistertreo
    You sound like a scary dude! Please don't date my sister.
    Scary dude? O k a y. Thanks for the judgement.

I DID THE SAME THING YESTERDAY..................
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast