1.    #1  
    Please no flames.... i know alot of us here are die hard treo fans. But with reading most of the posts here complaining about this and that. You have to ask the question? Do you really want to own the first run of the treo 650? Why not sit back and wait. Lets see what problems other are going to have. Id rather get a second generation treo 650, maybe one that does have a heating issue, or backlight issues. (not that these are issues now but who knows treos have been pleaged with defects from the manufacturer.) IE:stylus issues with the treo 90/300 / yellow screen on the 90 / hot spots on the 600 / speaker issues of the 600 ect ect.

I just can not justify the expense of having a new model without it being tested by the masses.. Besides what type of real world testing has this unit seen? None... You the few who choose to be the first are going to be palms guinea pigs testing these units, discovering short comings, and having to deal with technical support. I for one do not want to deal with that. I'll wait a while to see if a B version comes out in a few months to deal with overlooked issues.

Thanks for reading.

(spelling corrected for the anal who have nothing better to do than to reply baised upon spelling and grammer!)
    Last edited by zone97; 11/17/2004 at 05:55 PM.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97
    Please no flames.... i know alot of us here are die hard treo fans. But with reading most of the posts here complaining about this and that. You have to ask the question? Do you really want to own the first run of the treo 650? Why not sit back and wait. Lets see what problems other are going to have. Id rather get a second generation treo 650, maybe one that does have a heating issue, or backlight issues. (not that these are issues now but who knows treos have been pleaged with defects from the manufacurer.) IE:stylus issues with the treo 90/300 / yellow screen on the 90 / hot spots on the 600 / speaker issues of the 600 ect ect.

I just can not justify the expence of having a new model without it being tested by the masses.. Besides what type of real world testing has this unit seen? None... You the few who choose to be the first are going to be palms guinee pigs testing these units, discovering short comings, and having to deal with technical support. if for one do not want to deal with that. I'll wait a while to see if a B version comes out in a few months to deal with overlooked issues.

Thanks for reading.
    It is so painful to read a note complaining about lack of quality and testing that is so full of spelling and grammatical mistakes it makes your head spin....
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    So much for no flames please
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Ignorant early adopters will soon learn. I'm willing to accept the bugs, for the chance to get mine ASAP. That's the price you pay...
    That's what product replacement and warranties are for! If the first run is a lemon - it will likely die within the first year. If it doesn't die in the first year, we will upgrade to the 700 by then anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97
    Please no flames.... i know alot of us here are die hard treo fans. But with reading most of the posts here complaining about this and that. You have to ask the question? Do you really want to own the first run of the treo 650? Why not sit back and wait. Lets see what problems other are going to have. Id rather get a second generation treo 650, maybe one that does have a heating issue, or backlight issues. (not that these are issues now but who knows treos have been pleaged with defects from the manufacurer.) IE:stylus issues with the treo 90/300 / yellow screen on the 90 / hot spots on the 600 / speaker issues of the 600 ect ect.
    you're assuming that the 650 will have the same failure and problem rates as the 600. to my perspective, the 650 *is* the second generation of the treo, and i have a not unreasonable expectation that palmone has learned from the experience.

i'd bet a box of krispy kremes the 650 will be very, very solid.

or not.

Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    That's what product replacement and warranties are for! If the first run is a lemon - it will likely die within the first year. If it doesn't die in the first year, we will upgrade to the 700 by then anyway.
    My sentiments exactly. I was an early adopter with the 600, but I'm one of the lucky few that has no problems whatsoever. My 600 is still perfect and my CC doubles the warranty period. Although I'm finding it very hard not to upgrade to the 650, I'm in no rush. I'll wait until the price goes down or qualify for rebates. Early adopters are a special breed. We feed on debugging our toys. At least that's how I look at it. I am especially pleased when people with the same gadget have problems and come to me for solutions.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    My theory is that if it is inherently buggy, it takes me a half hour to go to Sprint and get a new one. Worst case scenario, I do that a few times and end up with a 2nd generation one.

I don't know if I'd call the Treo 650 a 2nd generation Treo 600. I mean it kind of is, but at the same time there are enough new things that new bugs could have been introduced along the way. Whenever you introduce new features, there's a chance, perhaps even a likelihood, of introducing new bugs. Thing is that as the product matures the number of bugs goes down.

This might sound like a pessimistic point of view, but I've had a perfectly reliable Treo for 8 months or more now. I'm speaking largely to the people who have multiple problems.
    Don't be so negative/afraid. I'm positive P1 tested the heck out of this unit...it's received so much publicity, there's no reason they wouldn't have. Sure, the first run of any product inevitably has more issues than a mature product cycle device...rev A., rev B., etc. But what you're saying is like waiting to buy a computer b/c several hundred Mhz. are just around the corner. You'd wait forever.

I, for one, don't mind having purchased my 650. The assumed pessimistic risk is worth it to me, and I put faith in P1 that it will function as designed.

Even 600's you would purchase TODAY still have issues...so I don't buy into the whole "early adopter," or "they will overhaul rev B." mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland

I don't know if I'd call the Treo 650 a 2nd generation Treo 600. I mean it kind of is, but at the same time there are enough new things that new bugs could have been introduced along the way. Whenever you introduce new features, there's a chance, perhaps even a likelihood, of introducing new bugs. Thing is that as the product matures the number of bugs goes down.
    however, when you consider just how *few* new features there are in the 650, i think it again makes a good argument that this is the second generation treo. think of it - really, how many new features? a slightly better camera by all accounts, but with the same pixel count. a higher res screen. and bluetooth. other than that, there's really only a few minor mods to the design, and cosmetic changes - dedicated button below volume buttons, 'home' and menu buttons move to the far more logical spot right below screen, microphone moved - all little things, relative to the complete, new design that the treo 600 represented.

but i'm belaboring the issue. time will tell, won't it....
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    There is a reason why they call it the bleeding edge.

I'm an early adopter. I've got programs running on my computer to alert me when the Treo 650 hits the SprintPCS website. It's a disease...perhaps 40 milligrams of fluoxetine would help. I dunno. Too bad their ain't a pill four poor spellang or grammer -- Lord knows some soon-to-be-Treo-650-owners could use it .

Sure, some bugs are worked out after a first release. I am here to suffer those bugs so that your life can be better.
    Also, all previous Treos were Handspring products. There is no reason to believe that past problems would cross into the new company. I am aware that many of the designers/programmers are former Handspring employees, but I would assume that PalmOne has a larger R&D budget, which in turn would result in more thorough testing (in theory!).
    PalmOne says their new releases are buggy.

Live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    PalmOne says their new releases are buggy.

Live with it.
    all this indicates is that PalmOne is more honest than 99% of the other companies out there. would MickeySoft ever admit their new releases are buggy? never. yet their new releases are sometimes worse than alpha quality, and should never have reached non-beta testers!

in any event, i think the sky is falling.
    Paul Theodoropoulos