Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Mine says that standard shipping was used for the headset. They better use Express Shipping like they promised, when the 650 get sent out.
    If they don't use overnight shipping for the ENTIRE order they are in breech of contract with you. Granted, we are the consumer and they will profit from this approach, but I for one would refuse it and purchase from someone else if this happened.
    I, for one, am not real happy about the way this is looking. But, I'm hoping that it turns out better than I think it might. My initial impression was that palmOne was pulling a fast one on us and shipping us our headsets so that we couldn't easily cancel our orders now that it looks like Sprint would be shipping out first with palmOne treating us like a bunch of suckers.

I'm trying to be optomistic though, because the latest status I got now says that the phone itself is "Processing" so perhaps it will ship out soon as well. A logical explanation for the separate shipments could be that they are shipping from two different places.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amb34
    That is insane. P1 HAS to be losing money. I mean, sure they make a profit selling to Sprint, but they keep all of it selling to us directly...unless they sell to Sprint at the same price as us?

Weird, but as soon as I have my phone in my hand, tomorrow, I'm cancelling my P1 order (and the stupid accessories, too, I can't believe I ordered them at those prices...thank god for Dans Cellular).

The phone is pretty much useless without the carrier...
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    From what I have heard, and I don't know if it is true, I would love someone who knows to tell me, Sprint loses money on the phones they sell or doesn't make money. So if you are buying a Treo for $599, it is my understanding that Sprint is buying that same phone for $599 or more from PalmOne.
    It does not make sense to me, but I don't know how it would work. I would imagine it not to be true, but anythings possible.
    Anyone more educated on this topic?

I can guess.... i follow the wireless industry pretty closely. Most carriers in the US subsidize phones that they sell in order to lock in new customers into contracts, where they have a monthly recurring revenue stream. For instance, the average cost per gross add for Sprint last quarter was nearly $300... that means for every new subscriber, Sprint paid $300. Now that $300 is used for phone subsidies, contract promos, advertising, etc. Over the course of your contract, they hope that you will pay them back in usage. So sprint is not in the business of making money selling cell phones (to new subs). that said, i don't think Sprint loses money when they sell at full retail... my guess is that the subsidy is embodied in the rebate that new subscribers can get when purchasing the Treo650 (around $150).

In the last quarter, the total revenue that palmone recorded for their smartphone business, when normalized to the number of Treo600s shipped, was around $500. this includes any accessories they sold. So my guess is that they charged carriers about $430 for each treo 650. This was probably less than what they were selling for on P1 own website.
    even so why at least can't p1 ship along side with sprint, I mean if sprint doesn't make any money on the phones why would they care if p1 sells the units along side with them on top of which they sell only sprint able phone right now... go figure
    When I cancelled my Palm 1 order today, the rep said they were going to ship the 650's starting next week.
    Mine says, "Mixed Status"
    Only assuming that its because my headset is on the way...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If they don't use overnight shipping for the ENTIRE order they are in breech of contract with you. Granted, we are the consumer and they will profit from this approach, but I for one would refuse it and purchase from someone else if this happened.

Are you suggesting that I refuse to accept the TREO 650 when it's at my doorstep, simply because stupid P1 didn't use Express Shipping as promised? If you could really do that, you're a far stronger man than I.
  10.    #170  
    B/C Sprint now has them (and the units have been flashed), any chance that P1 has them and will ship this week?
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    B/C Sprint now has them (and the units have been flashed), any chance that P1 has them and will ship this week?
    Flashed?
    The flashing of the units was a rumor posted here. The only "proof" I saw was a cut an paste of a supposed email.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Flashed?
    installation of new rom with patches.
    this does definitely make the concept of the preorder useless. It's a shame Palm1 hasn't learned.
    I agree, it doesn't make any sense. Someone should get taken to the boardroom and fired over this one!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoriffic
    Well at least you can walk around the house and play air traffic controller until your phone arrives :-)
    What's your vector, Victor? Roger, Roger. Please don't call me Shirley!!!
    I called and cancelled my P1 order today around 2pm CST. Then I got an email this evening that said my Bluetooth Headset and car charger had shipped. When I check the detail, it says that my headset and charger are backordered, and my 650 is cancelled.

The email states that the car charger is coming via express mail, and the headset is shipping USPS.

Any bets on which one I get first, the 650 from Sprint, or anything from P1? :P
    do you get to keep the headset ?
    Well I just ordered from Palm1 today, so you'll all beat me.

I should have it by the time the Treo700 comes out.

Didn't we JUST do this for our 600s????
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    I ordered on the first morning, and I'm backordered on the treo and the headset AND I've had no e-mails from them recently like everyone else
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast