1.    #1  
    I've been poking around this forum for a little bit and thought it was time to jump in...

I'm just wondering how/when the 650 will be available in Canada...

Telus Mobility is my current cell provider and they have nothing to say... their smart phone selection is crap and I'm willing to jump the fence if need be. I've just heard (and I've not confirmed personally) that their service area is better than the competition.

I'm not obligated to any term plan at the moment and prefer to stay away from being locked in for any amount of time.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mark
  2.    #2  
    I just found the search feature and might have found the answer to my question from another post... I would like to hear any further comments if possible.

One question always rings loud is: what's up with carrier partnerships???

ISP's don't dictate what kind of computer a person buys, why are communication products so closely linked to the service providers? I understand there are compatibility issues but...
    Telus and Bell Mobility are CDMA, while Rogers and Fido (newly merged) are GSM. I'm on Rogers and as a Rogers customer in Toronto I've always had good coverage, but my coverage is now excellent thanks to the merger with Fido and the ability to freely roam onto the Microcell network. Rogers also has EDGE data access which you can take advantage of with the 650 which should mean faster data access.

As for availability, while the CDMA Sprint version is first to launch in the US, Bell picked up the Treo600 after Rogers in Canada. The 650 definitely won't be available for Canadians till the new year. In January you should be able to pick up an unlocked GSM Treo650 which you could use with Rogers. If you want to buy direct from Rogers (and possibly take advantage of a handset discount they may offer,) you may have to wait till Spring or Summer (following what happened with the 600 last year.) Hopefully, maybe, now that Rogers has an existing relationship with P1 they'll adopt the 650 sooner.

Anyway this is my understanding of things, others may be better informed.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Bb...

So theoretically the 650 should be compatible with Telus since it is GSM and CDMA??? When I enquired about purchasing a TREO (600 at the time) from a vendor they said they would not support it... does that mean it won't work or that they "just won't support it" ... whatever that means???

I really just want to buy one and turn it on... but apparently I'm at the mercy of their carppy product line... do they really expect a long time customer like myself to remain loyal if I can't choose my own equipment?

I just don't get it.

mf
    Quote Originally Posted by IAM_CDN
    So theoretically the 650 should be compatible with Telus since it is GSM and CDMA??? When I enquired about purchasing a TREO (600 at the time) from a vendor they said they would not support it... does that mean it won't work or that they "just won't support it" ... whatever that means???
    To clarify, there are 2 different versions of the Treo 600 and 650. There are GSM versions and there are CDMA versions. While they may look exactly the same physically they have different radios and GSM phones will ONLY work on GSM networks and CDMA phones will ONLY work on CDMA networks. In Canada Rogers and Fido both have GSM networks, while Bell and Telus both have CDMA networks. (It's worth noting the most of the rest of the world, europe in particular, have GSM networks so a GSM phone is better for travelling.)

One advantage of GSM phones is that they use a SIM card which the provider gives you when you sign up for service. Since signing with Rogers I've changed phones 3 times all just by popping out my SIM card and popping it into my new phone. When I was with Bell changing phones meant calling them and asking them to "activate" my new phone (ie: bind my service to the new device on their network) and they charged as $25 switching fee. (Jerks.)

The SIM card is what allows you to buy an unlocked Treo650 and use it with Rogers even before Rogers has started officially supporting the device. If you sign up with Rogers you will get a Rogers a SIM card which you can then pop in your Treo650 you purchased from anywhere and start using it. This is NOT an option with Telus and you're pretty much stuck with the choice of phones they offer.

Below is a link to a company that sells unlocked GSM phones if you're interested. (Note: I've never purchased from these guys myself but came across them here and in Howard Forums and this is where I might get my Treo650 in January.)

http://www.expansys.ca/

I hope that clarifies things somewhat (and I apologize for being so long-winded and for any typo's that I'm too lazy to correct at this point.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Telus will not support the 650....As far as I know Roger's and Bell have exclusivity. I rember reading about someone who got a Treo working on Telus..but it was pretty crippled and the data was very flakey. If you want Treo I would drop Telus. Those guys are about 3 years behind the rest of the world anyway. Sometimes I can't believe how clueless they are.

I am on rogers/fido and I get great coverage. Although I do grumble about the Roger's roaming rates in the US now and then.
  7.    #7  
    I'm readin' your mail...

I think I'll sit on it for a spell and see how things shake out with the unlocked phones coming out in the new year... then I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie!

Thanks folks

(I'm still gonna cruise around here and see what the pulse is when the units start rolling out)