1.    #1  
    I was looking for a utility to handle ringers and picture ID's for my 600 and I looked at Callfilter, Ringo, and Lightwav. Here are my observations. If I'm wrong about any of these, please let me know:

Lightwav:
    Overall did everything I wanted it to do (I'm not really interested in rules per se like, "Ignore this number if it's 3:00 in the morning). The only issues I really had with it was it didn't seem as well put together as some of the other applications. A few things were a little quirky but overall it worked well.
    Lightwav Issues:
    1. If you set a picture ID for someone but no special ringer, it works fine, uses the picture and the default ringer. If you set a ringer for someone and no picture, it seemed to use the default ring screen with default ringer.

2. On a few ocassions my calendar would pop up a reminder but no alarm would sound. I have no desire to use Lightwav to change my calendar sounds so I didn't touch them in Lightwav and left them as default in the Palm itself.

3. The "Answer" and "Ignore" buttons are covered by the picture ID when someone calls. If you hit left or right on the 5-way, then they appear.

4. If there was a number that had no picture and no ringer assigned to it, often it would show a blank screen (no picture) and the name and number of the contact calling. But sometimes it would default to the look and feel of the default Treo incoming call screen. When this happened it would randomly show "roaming" sometimes. I surely wasn't roaming.

5. Couldn't figure out with the "in case SD card is out use this ringer" how to simply select one of the internal MIDIs. Looks like you have to copy an MP3 or WAV to internal? Makes no sense to me.
    Overall:
    Had all of the functionality but I think was still a little buggy for me.

Ringo:
    Very clean app, worked flawlessly but at $30, a bit too expensive for what it does. I would also like the option of turning Ringo "enabled" or "disabled". It seems to always be disabled.
    Ringo Issues:
    1. Cannot select a picture ID from the SD card. Why? Seems like a pain to have the ringers on the SD card but not the pictures. I'd have to use Treo Pictures to transfer my pictures and it takes up valuable RAM.

2. Couldn't find a way to set a ringer in the event the SD card popped out. you could set a default ringer but if the SD card popped out you'd be in trouble. Lightwav seeemed to be the only one to handle this. Unless I missed something?

3. Seemed like you could only select one number by a contact (i.e. Mobile). Thus if a contact had a home, work, and mobile number, I'd have to set up three items in Ringo?
    Overall:
    Looked really good, easy to use but very expensive for what it did. I don't like the fact that you can't just assign an event to an entire contact, just one number at a time.

Call Filter:
    It was easy to use and seemed bug free for me. Probably has way more features than I really need.
    Call Filter Issues:
    1. Cannot select a picture ID from the SD card. Why? Seems like a pain to have the ringers on the SD card but not the pictures. I'd have to use Treo Pictures to transfer my pictures and it takes up valuable RAM.

2. Couldn't find a way to set a ringer in the event the SD card popped out. you could set a default ringer but if the SD card popped out you'd be in trouble. Lightwav seeemed to be the only one to handle this. Unless I missed something?
    Overall:
    A bit expensive but cheaper than Ringo. Does everything I need it to do. Wish you could select pictures IDs from the SD card and couldn't find a way to set a default ringer in the event that the SD card had popped out.

Let me know if I'm way off on any of these or just missing something. Right now I don't know which one to get. I like Lightwav but it still seems a bit buggy and I don't really love the look and feel when a call comes in.

Thanks, hope this was helpful.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamF; 11/17/2004 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    I was looking for a utility to handle ringers and picture ID's for my 600 and I looked at Callfilter, Ringo, and Lightwav. Here are my observations. If I'm wrong about any of these, please let me know:

Lightwav:
    Overall did everything I wanted it to do (I'm not really interested in rules per se like, "Ignore this number if it's 3:00 in the morning). The only issues I really had with it was it didn't seem as well put together as some of the other applications. A few things were a little quirky but overall it worked well.
    Lightwav Issues:
    1. If you set a picture ID for someone but no special ringer, it works fine, uses the picture and the default ringer. If you set a ringer for someone and no picture, it seemed to use the default ring screen with default ringer.

2. On a few ocassions my calendar would pop up a reminder but no alarm would sound. I have no desire to use Lightwav to change my calendar sounds so I didn't touch them in Lightwav and left them as default in the Palm itself.

3. The "Answer" and "Ignore" buttons are covered by the picture ID when someone calls. If you hit left or right on the 5-way, then they appear.

4. If there was a number that had no picture and no ringer assigned to it, often it would show a blank screen (no picture) and the name and number of the contact calling. But sometimes it would default to the look and feel of the default Treo incoming call screen. When this happened it would randomly show "roaming" sometimes. I surely wasn't roaming.

5. Couldn't figure out with the "in case SD card is out use this ringer" how to simply select one of the internal MIDIs. Looks like you have to copy an MP3 or WAV to internal? Makes no sense to me.
    Overall:
    Had all of the functionality but I think was still a little buggy for me.

Thanks, hope this was helpful.
    -Adam
    For lwav to use ejection card feature you first convert a wav/mp3 to ram using the Convert button then when you goto the Ejection screen you willl see the file. in the Treo prefs you will see the toggle button to set the card ejction sound. Now when your card ejects and you have a incoming call the ejection sound is used.

You might want to take a look at mp3Ringer which is a lite version of Lightwav that only does wav/mp3 ringtones. check it at www.toysoft.ca/mp3ringer.html
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    I agree with your review of Lightwav...I agree with the fact that it is very buggy. Also, sometimes when placing a call a random .mp3 will play. But the video caller ID brings it over the top for me. I hope lightwav or some other developers would come up with a tighter program for the 650.
    I use Phone Tecnician. I really like the features of Call Filter, but had issues with the Treo not ringing until either I manually turned the screen on or the person calling hung up. Seemed to be the only one with the issue and wasn't able to resolve it, so I went with Phone Tecnician.

I just wish Technician would be able to default to a built-in ringtone if the SD card is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    I can pop in on this one, it's a glitch in the current release, 1.0 and 1.1 would default back to the internal midi ringtone if the mp3 couldn't be found, I believe rob is going to correct this in 1.3.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    I use Phone Tecnician. I really like the features of Call Filter, but had issues with the Treo not ringing until either I manually turned the screen on or the person calling hung up. Seemed to be the only one with the issue and wasn't able to resolve it, so I went with Phone Tecnician.

I just wish Technician would be able to default to a built-in ringtone if the SD card is out.
    I have Technician but it doesn't allow you to assign rings by user which i like.
    True. I could really go either way. I would like different rings for different users/groups if possible, but I just could not get Call Filter to work. Even when I performed a hard reset and CF was the only thing installed on my Treo, I got the same results.

I also liked the ability to adjust the LED and the notes after the calls, but had to settle on Phone Technician (which is good for what it does, and cheap) because it worked.

LightWav was far too buggy and I never tried Ringo.
    Pablo - You should send me a detailed email to pass onto rob about your problem with Callfilter. I just can't let you pass on callfilter, even though you seem to realy like it, just because it's giving you a little guff.

Just send it to me at callfiltersupport AT velocityware.com
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Tekara,

I spent several days in mid-September emailing Robert back and forth regarding the issue, but he couldn't duplicate it, and I was the only one apparently having this problem. I even tried loading Call Filter up a few days ago with the same result unfortunately.

I'll wait for 1.3 and give it another shot.

FWIW, here are the other programs I have installed. I would think it could be a potential conflict, but as I tried Call Filter by itself after a hard reset, I'm not so sure.

1stAid
    4Cast
    Adobe Reader
    BackupBuddyVFS
    Butler
    CallNotes
    Card Export II
    Checklist
    EzFTP
    FileZ
    MovieRec
    pTunes
    Qset
    SnapperMail
    SplashID
    SplashPhoto
    Technician
    Tipsy
    Today
    Uninstall
    Hi folks,

blowing my own trumpet here - but just wanted to give a quick PhoneTechnician explanation.

It's much simpler than CallFilter, lightwav, etc - It only has one ring, but that is pretty customisable. If you want pictures/rings for seperate groups, individuals - Phone Technician is not for you.

The beta version allows you to set an sms ring as well.
    It also includes screen off functionality, and alarm stopping functionality.

- And it's currently $6.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Yes, I also tried CallFilter 1.2 a while back and had quite a number of difficulties with it. It couldn't recognise the caller on my international GSM Treo (latest specs) although it seems to work fine with other types of Treos (from what I read).

If it worked the way it's supposed to, it's truely a killer program for the Treo.