1.    #1  
    I've got a Treo 600 & AT&T is my service provider.

I have the original Treo email app mapped to the little "envelope key" so that hitting the envelope key takes me right to my inbox. Starting tonight, each and every time I hit that envelope key to take me to my inbox, *wham* the Treo soft resets.

If I go to "Applications" and select the "mail" application with my stylus or the jog dial button *wham* the Treo soft resets.

Any ideas? I have the idea that the mail app is somehow corrupt, but I can't find a place to download the app to test this theory. Can this be done?

Oh yes, I've synced from my desktop computer a couple of times -- no dice. I've even force over-written all Treo data from my desktop computer -- no dice there, either. I still get the soft reset every time when I try to enter the mail program.

FWIW: I am using ~ 14 megs of my 23 megs, so low memory would not appear to be the culprit. Also, two days ago, I did a purge of my email Inbox, paring it back to "discard all messages older than one month. This left ~ 1700 messages in my inbox. (I went in and deleted the old messages from the inbox, and then even cleared out the "Deleted Messages" box.)

I am stumped. All else on the phone works OK if I don't try to access mail. But, obviously, this is less than ideal.

Help, please!

~r
  2.    #2  
    I think the solution is to re-install the email client. I've looked around and I can't see where to get this application -- any ideas?
    You can go into the backup folder on your desktop and find the program there. You can copy it into a temp folder. Delete the app on your treo, sync. Then use the copy in the temp folder to reinstall it. The backup folder is typically in C:/Program Files/Handspring/<user name>/backup/

If you can't find it there, I believe you can get the file from the Palmone website.
    The Palm email app should be in ROM so a hard reset should clear the RAM and load a fresh app. So use a backup utility to backup all your info, and restore excluding the possibly corrupt email app. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    If he has a Sprint Treo 600 it will not be in ROM, FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    If he has a Sprint Treo 600 it will not be in ROM, FYI.
    FW SPR-1.20 has it in ROM. FYI.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    O really? Cool. :-)
  8.    #8  
    Hey, thanks everybody for the suggestions. A little followup/clarification:

1) I couldn't find a fresh copy of the Treo Mail program on the PalmOne website -- that's why I asked the question here. If you have a link to where on the PalmOne website I might download the Mail app, I'd be super grateful. It's my belief that installing a fresh copy will cure my problems.

2) I have an iMac GH4 which I sync with my Treo 600 using iSync. Never had a problem, there. I mention this because KRamsauer talked about goiing into C:/Program Files/Handspring/<user name>/backup/ to go get a backup copy of the mail app. Obviously, on a Mac, the location is gonna be a bit different.

Also, I mentioned in my original post that I've done several syncs since this problem came up. Doesn't that mean the backup Mail program syncing over from the Mac will also be corrupt?

Hey, I'd *love* to think that I could just delete the copy of Treo Mail that's on my phone now, then do a sync and -- voila -- have a fresh working copy pop up. But this is a pipe dream, yes?

Is there something about installing a fresh Treo Mail .prc file? Would it have to be one that works with an AT&T phone? Where would I get this file, if so?

~rich
    Last edited by coeurdeleon; 11/17/2004 at 02:29 PM.