1.    #1  
    I have a treo 600 now and it works fine. I'd like to know the true pros and cons and whether it's really worth upgrading. To make this issue narrow, here's how I use my treo 600:

a) to check email (snapper)
    b) to surf the web
    c) contact database
    d) Audible (no more p-tunes since I got the ipod)
    e) occasional photos - I have a nice 4 megapixel Canon
    f) dictionary -- A-Lex rocks!
    g) make calls mostly on foot, not in the car
    h) to do list for all the work I need to get done.

Seems to me the upgrade to a higher res and the better camera is not worth it. I am addicted to the latest and greatest gadgets but seems to me this is not worth the dinero, capish?
    a) If you like the new Versamail, then you can stop purchasing Snapper upgrades.
    b) Blazer is optimized to load valuable stuff (text/links) faster
    c)
    d) If you like Audible, try reading eBooks - nice on a hi res screen
    e) more occassional photos - better in the dark, etc.
    f)
    g)
    h)
    My thoughts, for what they're worth:

a) to check email (snapper)
    Better screen will make reading easier

b) to surf the web
    Ditto on the screen

c) contact database
    Probably not much different.

d) Audible (no more p-tunes since I got the ipod)
    Probably not much different.

e) occasional photos - I have a nice 4 megapixel Canon
    Camera on the 650 won't come close to replacing your Canon, but it should take far more usable pictures for those impulse moments when you don't have the Cannon with you.

f) dictionary -- A-Lex rocks!
    Processor is faster, which might be helpful for a large database app (haven't used it).

g) make calls mostly on foot, not in the car
    Bluetooth headsets still are useful even on foot, in my opinion...you can walk around the house or keep working on something with your hands free. Plus, while you may not place calls while you're in the car, you can't control when you receive them (although maybe you don't answer while you're driving).

h) to do list for all the work I need to get done.
    Not much different.

Is it worth the money? That's for you to say, and it sounds like you lean towards no, which is fine. If your Treo is in good shape, you can probably still sell your 600 on ebay for $300 or so (haven't checked lately though), which lessens the upgrade pain. Or, you can wait until the 650 shows up on ebay at good deals. I bought my 600 on ebay about 5 months after it was released, brand new in a sealed box for $400 shipped. Or, you can just skip the 650 and wait for whatever's next. There's nothing wrong with that!

-Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    a) If you like the new Versamail, then you can stop purchasing Snapper upgrades.
    h)
    Eric, (or others)
    Is there a good comparison of these two programs out there? Thanks.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    based on what you have said, there is no need to upgrade.

these are the only compelling reasons to upgrade:

- you need Bluetooth for headset or sync
    - you want the hi-res screen
    - you need a faster processor because your apps are slow
    - you need a replaceable battery.

that's it. if you don't need it, don't get it.

I know it's contrarian, but it's the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    based on what you have said, there is no need to upgrade.

these are the only compelling reasons to upgrade:

- you need Bluetooth for headset or sync
    - you want the hi-res screen
    - you need a faster processor because your apps are slow
    - you need a replaceable battery.

that's it. if you don't need it, don't get it.

I know it's contrarian, but it's the truth.
    Slow apps are also a function of the meager memory and the 650 has even slightly less free memory.

Also, I won't know until I try it, but I'm hoping the new keyboard will be a big improvement.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Slow apps are also a function of the meager memory and the 650 has even slightly less free memory.

Also, I won't know until I try it, but I'm hoping the new keyboard will be a big improvement.
    I don't think the slightly less memory is the heap that is dedicated to running programs. I believe it's just the kind that stores them for availability, thus it the memory shouldn't be an issue at all. However the faster processor should be a huge upgrade.

I think the biggest thing you'll notice that has been somewhat overlooked is the keyboard. I've read that it's 20% better which is big if you use e-mail as you say.

From what I've read there are numerous little improvements all over all the applications in the phone. For instance Picture Caller ID is now natural and I don't think it requires setting a person as a favorite. That might not be the biggest thing in the world. In fact it might even be useless to you. Overall though it seems like there are a lot of these little things. Cluemeister has pointed some them at:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62274

including alarms for your to do items, which you might useful. Built in video for those times when not a still picture captures the moment.

You'll also find better syncronization if you e-mail happens to be an Exchange 2003 server.
    I've been a 600 owner since the rollout of the Handspring upgrade program a year ago. I had the Treo 300 (Sprint), so I was one of the first to get the 600. It still works just fine. Never had to replace it. I remember impatiently waiting through the long delay between "In Credit Card Processing" and "Order Shipped." The Handspring email program touting the 600 over the summer and fall of 2003 had me chomping at the bit to upgrade my 300. I've been quite pleased with it.

I've been giving some thought to upgrading to the 650, but not nearly so urgently as with the 600. There are some nice features to the 650, but nothing that has me thinking I can't live without it.

The funny thing is today, I saw a guy using a 300 today while commuting home on the train. I was thinking I'm sure glad I don't have that brick anymore. Although when I had the brick, I thought it was pretty cool.

I don't think I'll be upgrading, at least not immediately. The Bluetooth headset is not the same incentive as $150 off was when upgrading to the 600. Hopefully, by the time I upgrade, there will be something even better than the 650, or if not, it will have come down in price.
    IMO, the upgrade from 600 to 650 is not as big a leap as from my old 270 to 600.

I will be retaining the services of my 600 as there is nothing new on the 650 that I actually 'need'.
    www.gsmworld.com
    I wouldn't upgrade at a $600 price. Since I can go to tomorrow's DC roadshow, I think I will upgrade at the $350 price point. If I can get $300 for my 600 and accessories, I'll be happy. Replacing the accessories will add another $50, but I figure an out-of-pocket cost of $100 is about what the upgrade is worth, to me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.