Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    it's called AMR format. go to 'add AMR' on this page here :

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

i was skeptical, until i went to the suggested converter tool link they posted on same page:

called the Nokia Multimedia Converter 2
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-63,00.html

this is basically a 3gpp file. i am psyched & really glad i'm upgrading to 650 now. the 3rd party ring tools on my 600 have recently reset my phone randomly on incoming calls.

the weird thing about the Treo Roadshow in Dallas: the P1 person i asked didn't know this & told me it only played midi files. uh, hello.... i'm sure someone knew.

anyway, good stuff to come.....!
    GOOD FIND!

I've already downloaded the converter. Nokia made it a bit of a hassle but it is a done deal. No more PAR for wav files, yippeeee!

K
  3.    #3  
    yea, no more 3rd party mp3 ringtone managers for me.
    What exactly is a 3gpp file?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I'm confused. It is my understanding that MP3s do not work with 3GPP or 3GPP2.
    And AMR is a narrowband format used to compress speech only (anything out of that narrow frequency range of voices just falls apart).
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I'm confused. It is my understanding that MP3s do not work with 3GPP or 3GPP2.
    And AMR is a narrowband format used to compress speech only (anything out of that narrow frequency range of voices just falls apart).
    You are right. From the palmone website:

The Treo 650 smartphone uses two formats for ringtones: AMR and MIDI. This section talks about AMR, which is best suited for voice clips rather than music.
    You are right in that the 3GPP format doesn't support MP3s. But you can use a converter (such as the Nokia software) to change an MP3 into an AMR file. It doesn't sound quite as good, but it's usable.

I think this is really good, I haven't seen this mentioned before! Now if I could only get a GSM Treo 650!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    What exactly is a 3gpp file?

3GPP is basically a quicktime file standard that is compatible for mobile streaming. It makes sense that the CDMA Treo 650 supports 3GPP as Sprint just signed a major agreement with Apple (creator of quicktime) to support 3GPP on it's network.

http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/3gpp/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    i think the P1 site talked about AMR being narrow & voice only was pertaining to the built-in microphone on the t650. that was the only place i read wear it talked about this & suggested not to use the mic to record ring-tones, but suggested using the nokia converter.

i would think that quicktime pro would (or should) have this ability to convert at least in the near future. at least the nokia tool is free.

this is a god-send when you don't have to use 3rd party tool for ringers. it's also a sign that sprint using 3gpp & treo following, that we can convert movies to .mp4 to the SD card to watch. the Treo Road Show rep. confirmed this part. 3gpp is used on sprint & h264 is used for the others & quicktime reads both formats.
    Doesn't look like you'll be able to run them from the SD card though... sooo one more Item that will have to be placed on the Treo's internal memory... d'oh!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Is anyone converting sounds to AMR files themselves? I can't get a 650 to play them. I send the files via bluetooth and it recognizes them and puts them into the ringtones but they are silent.

I'm on a Mac and have used QuickTime Pro to write out 3gp, 3gp2, and 3pg (mobile) versions with the AMR codec and can't get any to work. I also have a number of files that I converted on a PC with the Nokia converter and have used in a number of Nokia symbian phones. They don't work either. WAVE files transfer and play fine as ringtones, but I'm stumped trying to get some to work for AMR (which would be smaller than WAVE). Anyone got a working path on a Mac? Anyone got any working path for this?
    I am assuming you have the CDMA Treo 650 from Sprint, in which case, I dont think there is a path. They cannot be played with that codec.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64975
    I did read that also. I tried converting it with 3gp2 with the QCELP codec also and it gives the same result, sound is added to the ringtones but it is silent.

Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I am assuming you have the CDMA Treo 650 from Sprint, in which case, I dont think there is a path. They cannot be played with that codec.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64975
    Actually, the 650 downloads real ringtones much like other Sprint PCS phones do. In other words you can download .qcp files just like a regular vision enabled device. If you are already familiar with using this format it makes it much easier, plus you can use some of the websites like www.3gforfree.com to upload the file and send it to your phone
    http://www.3gforfree.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    GOOD FIND!

I've already downloaded the converter. Nokia made it a bit of a hassle but it is a done deal. No more PAR for wav files, yippeeee!

K
    yeah, nokia did not exactly make that easy... took me several tries and some waiting while accounts were set up and stuff, then the email they sent me with the activation went to a spam folder...

and midi files can be downloaded directly to the 650 and saved as sounds. wav's need to be converted to use as ringtones but they will PLAY using sound prefs if you download them onto the 650 from a web site and save them as sounds.

i like making mine say stuff for the entertainment of my friends but don't want it ringing that way
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by peyote
    it's called AMR format. go to 'add AMR' on this page here :
    Excellent find, works well. Like many, I've been disappointed in the 3rd party MP3 ringtone managers. I've passed a couple of Windows WAV files through the Nokia converter & attached them here for you to test out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I downloaded the tool and created an ARM. DOes anyone know if this will work with the Treo 600?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I'm on a Mac and have used QuickTime Pro to write out 3gp, 3gp2, and 3pg (mobile) versions with the AMR codec and can't get any to work. I also have a number of files that I converted on a PC with the Nokia converter and have used in a number of Nokia symbian phones. They don't work either. WAVE files transfer and play fine as ringtones, but I'm stumped trying to get some to work for AMR (which would be smaller than WAVE). Anyone got a working path on a Mac? Anyone got any working path for this?
    Any luck with this? I'm also on a Mac and used QT Pro to make some conversions. But I'm having a hard time getting them to show up in my list of ringtones and when I do (rename the extension to .amr) they remain silent when I try to play.

Also, are you able to get the WAVs to work as customized/personalized ringtones per individual caller?
    I haven't been able to get any Mac native programs to successfully write out AMR files. I have been able to get the Nokia multimedia converter to run under Virtual PC and use that (you need to use AMR format not WB-AMR format).

I don't know why I can't get it to work, it seems like it should be the right format and QuickTime plays the AMR files made by Nokia Multimedia converter fine.

And unfortunately no, I've tried everything but only midi tones play correctly for individual tones in favorites. Really sucks, because if this worked I really wouldn't need any third party tone manager. I'm not using any right now but I might in the future.
    SO what do we rename the extension to from .amr to install on the 650? I just tried pdb and it said it was an invalid file during hotsync and deleted it.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast