Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Yep -- me too. Definitely a gmail issue. Time to make a "comment"
    Thanks... at least now I know it isn't just me
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    So anyone got Gmail working on the default Mail app? Both send and receive?
  3.    #23  
    It's my belief the PalmOne Mail client cannot send mail via gmail.com's smtp server because it does not appear to be using or have not implemented STARTTLS properly.

Interestingly, a call to Sprint PCS tech support resulted in one of their reps sending me to http://www.eudora.com/products/unsup...uite/download/ to download and install Eudora Internet Suite 2.1 for Palm OS. Sadly, I cannot even get that to receive or send mail, but I haven't spent that much time with it.
    So I guess only these two mail softwares work for Gmail:

Versamail

Snappermail.

For those using Versamail, do you feel the srever is very unstable. I find it very difficult to connect and easy to disconnect.
    I'm having problems setting up the gmail end. I have the Forwarding and POP tab under settings, and no matter what I check in the POP section it remains NULL after I press Save Settings. Is it just me?

Repeat by checking either POP option, press save settings, return to inbox, then hit settings again, then Forwarding and POP tab. This time I get 3 options (now including disable) but non are checked...
    Doug Blair
    The following Mail setup for the Palm mail client with gmail (with sprint smtp server) that works for me... As far as business connection, I have a problem with the mail disappearing off the server when checking it, so there seems to be a gmail issue with that.

---------------------------
    EMail address: username@gmail.com
    UserName: username@gmail.com
    Password: [GMail Password]
    Incoming (POP3) Server: pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing (SMTP) server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    Leave mail on server: Check
    SSL req for POP3: Check
    SSL req for SMTP: NOT checked
    For Outgoing mail server:
    UserName: Sprint Username
    Password: Sprint Password
    Negative...unchecking SSL for smtp do not work for me..
    Quote Originally Posted by fdrebben
    The following Mail setup for the Palm mail client with gmail (with sprint smtp server) that works for me... As far as business connection, I have a problem with the mail disappearing off the server when checking it, so there seems to be a gmail issue with that.

I'm using very similar settings as follows:

Outgoing (SMTP) server: smtp.gmail.com
    SSL req for SMTP: Check
    UserName: [GMail Password]

i.e. I have the same settings as fdrebben for incoming but can't log on to pop.gmail.com from Orange UK (same credentials work fine in IE) - anyone else tried this from the UK?

I'm using gmail SMTP but since that isn't used until I choose to send mail, I can't see it being the cause...

Any ideas?

(downloading Eudora as we speak )
    Outgoing (SMTP) server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    SSL req for SMTP: NOT checked
    UserName: Sprint Username
    Password: Sprint Password

fdrebben,
    can you confirm what you mean when you say sprint username and sprint password. I tried my @sprintpcs.com email and the password for it, but that didn't work.
    Tell you the truth I am not sure what Sprint user name I am using. I thought I was using my vision name and password but I am not. I will look into it further and try and see why this username/password works (And where sprint has this username/password). Very odd, but it works (if I use my vision user/password it doesn't work).
    OK I figured it out... After changing a bunch of my passwords. I guess I had a certain username before this that worked on the smtp server.

Go to the sprint home page in your treo.

http://vision.sprintpcs.com

Select Messaging then PCS Inbox. Then select (10) settings. then select (6) change password and enter a password that is known to you. This wasn't my vision password for some reason.

Then use your vision username and that password (Or I guess the PCS Mail username and password, but the usernames should be the same).

This is of course if you dare since sprint has so many different passwords it might screw something up... But worked with me.
    Last edited by fdrebben; 11/18/2004 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougblair
    I'm having problems setting up the gmail end. I have the Forwarding and POP tab under settings, and no matter what I check in the POP section it remains NULL after I press Save Settings. Is it just me?

Repeat by checking either POP option, press save settings, return to inbox, then hit settings again, then Forwarding and POP tab. This time I get 3 options (now including disable) but non are checked...
    I suspect you are good to go for pop. Even though none are selected on the line before the three choices you should see "1. POP Status: POP is enabled". Very non-intuitive. You'd think it would have one of the first two radio buttons selected depending on the option you chose.
    The only good news that I can say will come from this is that it should work completely with VersaMail on the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Yep -- me too. Definitely a gmail issue. Time to make a "comment"
    This is a Gmail feature. On Gmail, go to settings->Forwarding and POP and set "2. When messages are accessed with POP" to "Keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox"
    Has anyone else got this to work, I have Snapper & ATT and it just won't connect, times out waiting for pop.gmail.com
    Same experience for me on Palm's Mail program and on Snappermail beta. Although, I might need full version of Snappermail. Uncertain about that one.
    Could it be because I haven't registered Snappermail yet?
    Ok i've had some sucess with fdrebben's setup on palmone's default mail program. receiving is fine (has always been). sending is working now as well - though not perfectly. i have had emails getting sent according to the mail program, but some are received, some are not, and some are delayed. still working out kinks.

follow fdrebben's instructions above to get it working.

fyi - I'm using Sprint in the US
    Last edited by petesamprs; 11/19/2004 at 09:10 AM.
    That means a no go on for users outside US?
    Lure,
    Not sure about outside US. I don't really know much about pop but it seems the hiccup was having the smtp through sprint, not gmail, to get it to work. maybe that's what you have to do w/ your provider. not sure though.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast