Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    OK, I got rid of my Samsung i600 for the Treo600. From a productivity standpoint it is night and day. I can't begin to tell you. However, the Treo really has some quirks that are problematic. I'm hoping some of them are my being new to the device but I'm not so sure.

1) No vibrate mode. Oh, sorry, right, there is a vibrate mode but it is so pathetic that I can't even feel it in my suit jacket outer pocket. Hoping something will shake this sucker twice as hard.

2) Phone doesn't always ring through. I find lately that the phone rings once and then doesn't ring or send callers directly to voice mail. It's odd.

3) No indicator how many voice mails you have, only that you have a voice mail. This was a nice feature of the i600.

4) The bloody keylock freezes the time and voice mail indicators on the phone. Thus the time can be wrong unless you release the keylock and you also don't know you have voice mail (unless you get an app to change the blinking light to another color or to stay solid.)

5) Ring volume pretty low although acceptable at highest volume.

6) Horribly difficult to hear a call. I keep on needing to find the "sweet spot" on this phone to have a conversation. Also difficult to speak using speakerphone and many claim that the microphone, potentially placement, on this phone isn't very good.

7) No good cases with a flip cover for protection of the screen and keys. The Palm V was fabulous. Why was this concept of the cover that flips discontinued?

8) No easily replaceable battery. What the hell were the folks at Palm thinking? The battery does last pretty long though, I'll give them that. So far I'm OK but wondering how long it will be until I'll need to order a replacement battery.

9) No bloody handstrap hole! How pathetic is this. Doesnt every phone have one?

10) No browser I have found allows you to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server. This is awful as even Blazer 2.0 did this and Opera for Smartphone does now (wish there was Opera for Palm...)

Still, despite all these problems and some are not slight, I am so much more productive than my Microsoft Smartphone I can't tell you. I am so glad to have hotsync as the activesync for smartphone is a disaster with few options (e.g. handheld overwrites desktop and more.) Hoping someone has some good answers for me as I do like the phone. Wish I could get a Treo 650 (this one is new!) from Verizon but it isn't out yet either... and I can't believe the limitations of the 650 like RAM and more!
    I'll try to help some:

1. The vibrate is pretty weak, especially if you are using a case. I've found that the form factor is nice and small that I can often stick it into a pocket more on me than an outer coat.

2. If you're using Verizon, once you start a data connection, the phone will randomly "ping" the verizon server and activate a live data connection. (the arrows turn green). When this happens, voice calls will get bounced to Voice Mail. My solution to this is getting Treo600 Connection Manager (T600CM), a program you can find on palmgear, which will automatically disconnect the data connection after a set time.

3. Yeah, that's annoying. It's such a basic feature on most cell phones.

4. There are a number of hacks for this... I don't use the keylock at all anymore. A free program like KeepOff works just as well, and doesn't have this problem.

5. I use the "Treo" ring, and it's plenty loud for me, even in the New York streets. Play with the Midi and MP3 rings and you can find some loud ones.

6. You do have to place it right, which can be trickier to do if you are using a case.

7. As I've been implying, I've kinda stopped using cases. I rationalize it as follows: I do use a nice screensaver, but otherwise leave the Treo in its birthday suit. The later Palm devices (Tungsten T and Treo) are really built solidly and designed to take a few hits, and unless you use a really heavy case, most cases aren't going to really protect from really bad trauma. I just bought insurance from Verizon. :P

8. If you ride the subway often or in dead areas for a while, try using a program like TreoHelper to save power. The Network searching really eats up a lot of battery power. I've set mine up to shutdown the wireless mode automatically after 1 minute of searching, and then turn itself on after 10 minutes and then try again. If I need it, I can always turn wireless mode back on, of course. I find this setup saves a lot power in my subway trips around New York or when I'm travelling the bowels of the hospital where I work. I charge every night, but I haven't run into any problem yet when I forgot to plug it in for a night or two.

10. I'm not familiar with MS Exchange server, but you can get copies of Blazer 2.0 around the web. I just deleted mine, but PM if you can't find it and I'll see if I can dig it back up.

Enjoy!
    For #4, if you choose to select the "Show button settings" checkbox in the display preferences (so that the D-pad arrows with 4 apps appears at the bottom of the dial pad or wallpaper), the time and voicemail indicator are at the top of the screen and it appears to me that the time does update when you power the screen on with the keyguard still on.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Show Buttons Settings is locaated under which prefs? All my display prefs has is brightness/contrast.
    In the Phone App (not System Prefs) press the Menu button -> Options -> Display Preferences. You should see a checkbox for "Show button settings"
    Satish Joshi
    #3 and #8 and #10 (if it's Exchange 2003) are solved with features available with the upcoming Treo 650. As stated, there are hacks for most of the software ones.

People have drilled their own hoandstrap hole through the antenna. However, I have never seen anyone use a handstrap on their cell phone, so I could see why this might have been lacking.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    #3 and #8 and #10 (if it's Exchange 2003) are solved with features available with the upcoming Treo 650. As stated, there are hacks for most of the software ones.
    To begin, nothing is fixed for my Treo 600 if it's in the 650!!! There are no "hacks" for many of the software issues that I'm aware of. Right now the system beep keeps turning itself on. Yet another bug. There is no software to tell me how many VMs that I have. The hold button software on deals with part of the problem. The "show button settings" suggestion is nice but doesn't work as mine has always been checked. This last one is a big bug and the biggest one is the lack of vibration -- I don't feel the phone even if it's in my inner suit jacket pocket. The form factor doesn't change anything and I'm not sticking it in my suit pants. Please. This should work. I haven't had a case for my Treo and it is still miserable to try to hear a thing without angling for the sweet spot. There is no reasonable way to protect the screen (I'm hoping this new lean custom case will do the trick.) The worst is still I cannot get a browser to work with Outlook Web Access and I would love it if someone would send me something! slinky at news _spam remove this_ guy dot com.

Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    People have drilled their own hoandstrap hole through the antenna. However, I have never seen anyone use a handstrap on their cell phone, so I could see why this might have been lacking.
    If people drilled a hole in their phone then the handstrap must have been pretty important. If you live in a big city you begin to realize just how important it is to have that hand strap. Considering how many other phones have a hand strap, this was an oversight.

This said, the Microsoft Smartphone sucks and is still a distant second in any kind of userability.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Interesting. I've never seen anyone use a handstrap for a cell phone either. Even in big cities.