1.    #1  
    Reading through the PalmOne Sprint User Guide for the 650 I noticed the FCC's SAR (Specific Absorption Rate, or radiation) numbers in the back. the 650 tested 1.33W/Kg for 1900MHz and 1.50 W/Kg for 800MHz. These lower numbers compared to the 600 are welcome, but my experience with Sprint phones suggests that the 600 may have worse reception than the 600 does on the Sprint network. I was unting for that picture of the 650 side-by-side with a 600 (both Sprint). I remember noticing the 600 had almost full strength indicated but the 650 only had half strength indicated. I can't find that picture though. I realize the signal bars indicator on phones isn't much of a metric, but it's something. I doubt any of those who've had a 650 Sprint version can comment yet, but I'm curious now - will the 650 work in as many places and situations as the 600 did?
    Living in a fringe area, I asked the reception question at the roadshow in Boston. The Sprint rep had absolutely no idea whether the reception would be better or worse.

If the 650 gets the same or better reception, hurray. If it gets worse reception, I don't know what I'll do.

Cluemeister
    Man, I hope not. I get one bar in my house...sometimes none, and my Toshiba 4050 works very well. If the 650 has any less reception, I can't use it :-(

I do remember hearing P1 put a totally new CDMA chip from Qualcomm in the 650...hopefully newer technology = better reception. I remember when I had a 600...the reception was incredible. (returned b/c of low screen res and other factors).
    Through my many different phones with Qualcomm chipsets I can say that reception has only been better and better as they were upgraded. Of course network buildout also helps.
    One thing to check before comparing the 600 and 650 SARs is that the 650 was tested as a TABLETOP device for the FCC, not as a handheld device. So the device was put on a table and the sensing equipment was put where a person would be in relation to a tabletop device like a laptop.

I don't know how the 600 was tested but somebody could find out im sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Living in a fringe area, I asked the reception question at the roadshow in Boston. The Sprint rep had absolutely no idea whether the reception would be better or worse.

If the 650 gets the same or better reception, hurray. If it gets worse reception, I don't know what I'll do.

Cluemeister
    maybe buy a repeater for your home?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Where do you purchase these repeaters?

Thanks
    Someone had a thread on boosters and repeaters.

there is a co. that has these.

I am curious about peoples experience, esp in car setups.
  9.    #9  
    Midmofan - the user guide lists the SAR values as "Held to Ear" and "Body - Worn". I still can't access the pdfs on the FCC site, but there are usually photos of the testing setup. Have you seen those photos? how is the setup different for devices tested as "Tabletop" devices?
    Perhaps different tests are done differently, but the pdf of the FCC Electromagnetic Radiation tests from the link on the TC homepage said that the device was tested as a tabletop device since that is how it would usually be used. The report says that several times in fact and I thought that was funny. I also right now cannont get the pdf file off of the TC homepage. Not sure what is wrong but I could get it previously.