Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Will the 600 import/export Microsoft programs like...
    - Word Documents
    - Outlook data
    - Access data
    - Excel data
    - Power Point?

    How about working with...
    - Windows Media Player Movies?
    - Audio Files
    - Internet Radio Stations
    - MP3 files
    - Flash files
    - Java Script
    - Java applets

    If 3rd party software required - where are best sites to get such?

    thanks for any help - Will_3
  2. #2  
    Dataviz and Documents to Go is the best ap out there for this. Good Luck.
  3. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #3  
    Yes...it will do it, but you have to buy a thrid party program. That's the thing I dislike most about the Treo 600, it just doesn't come with very much on it. I am trying out an HP 6315 and it has alot of software advantages over the Treo, all included with the device.

    With all of the things you listed, you would be MUCH better off with a Windows Mobile device than with the Treo. After you have purchased programs to handle all of those duties, you will have paid so much more for the Treo that it won't be worth it.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Yes...it will do it, but you have to buy a thrid party program. That's the thing I dislike most about the Treo 600, it just doesn't come with very much on it. I am trying out an HP 6315 and it has alot of software advantages over the Treo, all included with the device.

    With all of the things you listed, you would be MUCH better off with a Windows Mobile device than with the Treo. After you have purchased programs to handle all of those duties, you will have paid so much more for the Treo that it won't be worth it.
    Desktop to Go is included with the Treo (the full version is included with the 650). That will handle Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Access will require a third-party database program. Outlook data is handled via PocketMirror (included on the installation CD that comes with the Treo).

    On the multimedia:

    PocketTunes is free with purchase of a Treo 600 (just download it). That will handle MP3s, etc. PocketTunes Deluxe will handle the streaming audio radio stations via Shoutcast.

    Javascript is built into the Blazer web browser included with Treo. So you don't need to buy near as much software are you imply.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  5. #5  
    >Desktop to Go is included with the Treo

    Odd, I never got Desktop to Go with my Treo 600. Which carrier and model is this?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    >Desktop to Go is included with the Treo

    Odd, I never got Desktop to Go with my Treo 600. Which carrier and model is this?
    DocsToGo viewer is installed on the Treo during your first hotsync after loading the install CD on your PC. It is mainly a viewer for email attachments.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Will_3
    Will the 600 import/export Microsoft programs like...
    - Word Documents
    - Outlook data
    - Access data
    - Excel data
    - Power Point?

    How about working with...
    - Windows Media Player Movies?
    - Audio Files
    - Internet Radio Stations
    - MP3 files
    - Flash files
    - Java Script
    - Java applets

    If 3rd party software required - where are best sites to get such?

    thanks for any help - Will_3

    Like others stated, there are apps for PalmOS that will support many of these file types. Unfortunately the Treo 600 shipped with a pretty poor software bundle that forced users to buy alot of 3rd party apps to make it functional. Fortunately, PalmOne has vastly improved the software bundle with the Treo 650 and alot of the file types you mentioned will now be supported OTB (out the box):

    -Native MS Office filetypes such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint as well as jpeg, BMP etc will be supported buy bundled DTG 7. Also, there are various 3rd party solution like Access Plus for Access compatibility on PalmOS.

    -various solutions wireless and non-wireless solutions for outlook like pocketmirror to good etc...do a search. The bundled Versamail email client will support pop3, IMAP, as well as MS Echange Activesync...

    -Real player is free and supports mp3 as well as real audio format. Various other audio players like Ptunes can be purchased and support wma, OGG, mp3, etc as well as shoutcast streaming audio. Unfortunately the free bundled Real player does not yet support streaming Real audio.

    -Video player called mmplayer can be download to support divx, mpg etc file types. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $M$$ $charge$ $lots$ $of$ $$$ $for$ $wmv$ $support$ $on$ $non$-$M$$ $platforms$ $and$ $thus$ $there$ $is$ $currently$ $no$ $wmv$ $player$ $for$ $PalmOS$ $Garnet$ $afaik$. $This$ $may$ $have$ $changed$ $with$ $Cobalt$ $however$. $Kinoma$ $player$ $is$ $also$ $bundled$ $which$ $is$ $a$ $free$ $proprietary$ $mobile$ $format$ $for$ $PalmOS$. $Kinoma$ $also$ $supports$ $streaming$ $video$ $in$ $its$ $proprietary$ $format$.

    -Unfortnately there is no support for Flash on PalmOne devices. Sony CLies support Flash, but it does not work on PalmOne devices. Read this thread for a more thorough explanation why.

    -Blazer 4.0 will support Javascript just as Blazer 3.0 did

    -The IBM Webshere J2ME can be download to the Treo for Java midlet compatibity. Do a search for more info.
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8. #8  
    Documents-to-Go can create, read and edit Office documents, including Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It can do it natively and I understand that it works better than anything on Pocket PC too.
  9. #9  
    Hmmm. I purchased the 600 just a month ago from Verizon. No Docs to Go on Mac CD.

Posting Permissions