Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Phone is the worst part. Takes five steps to make one call from beginning to end, not counting the phone number. Try that while steering your SUV! At half a pound, your conversations will be shorter. Worse reception using same carrier as with previous phone. The rest of it is completely counter-intuitive, especially layout of keyboard. Also, snyching with my laptop cost about $750, i.e., computer consultant time, Microsoft tech time and add'l software. Palm techs were no help, 4 of 'em in the Phillipines.

I do not recommend the Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie
    Phone is the worst part. Takes five steps to make one call from beginning to end, not counting the phone number. Try that while steering your SUV! At half a pound, your conversations will be shorter. Worse reception using same carrier as with previous phone. The rest of it is completely counter-intuitive, especially layout of keyboard. Also, snyching with my laptop cost about $750, i.e., computer consultant time, Microsoft tech time and add'l software. Palm techs were no help, 4 of 'em in the Phillipines.

WOW!!! What a glowing review....please, tell us more about how much you love the Treo 600
    Five steps? Press button to make call. Press button to end call. Seems like two to me. :-)

You can add 1 more on there if you need to get to the phone app. Still not 5.
    Actually, out of the box it is 5 steps. Consider these steps:
    1) Press phone button (left hard button)
    2) Press center pad button to unlock
    3) Press right nav button to get to dial pad (not a necessary step)
    4) Dial digits
    5) Press dial

Like I said, this is out of the box. Step 3 above is unecessary. Other steps can also be revised or eliminated.
    Please don't drive near me if you are messing with your Treo at the same time.

I'm curious what you mean by layout of the keyboard? QWERTY is pretty standard. I agree that the homebtn is in an odd place (but that seems to be fixed w/ the 650).
    Arnie,
    Synching with any computer couldn't be easier. I use the Palm addressbook app & the included Hotsync works 100% of the time. Only added expense was a second cradle for home. I synch the Treo to my home & office machines easily... No need for consultants, MS folks or extensive software. What are you doing?
    I have to agree about the dialing while driving since you frequently need to make a call to home or to check on something. It's much faster with standard phones. Standard phones have 10 large number buttons that can be set for speed dial. This makes it much easier to select a key and press using touch or sight. The size of the 600 buttons and the round shape makes it tough to quickly select and press a specific button with one hand. Many newer phones such as LG have phone command which makes it easy as well.

Impossible to dial on the touch screen without focusing on it.
    You can have favorites keymapped but these keys only work in favorites or phone screens. Not in anything else UNLESS you buy Butler. Combination of mapping Favorites (using 2Favorites) to the email hardware button and using Buttler has made it easier but still trying to select the right button is tough. I'll probably map them for the right edge buttons so I don't have to focus on it. In any case it draws much more attention away from driving than a standard cell phone with speed dial (or even regular dialing)

At least the 650 is supposed to have real voice dialing and they got smart and added the send/hangup hardware buttons.

I suppose the keyboard is tough if you're not used to a real keyboard.

Not sure why the hotsynching is an issue unless the machine is old and lacking in USB port.
    Phone reception???? Mine will pull a signal where my old Nokia's wouldn't even blip.....it's been the best part. Otherwise--you get used to it and it works fine. Maybe your a one track at a time kinda person? IE-don't dail and drive please.

Todd
    Gimme a "t"... T!!! Gimme an "r"... R!!! Gimme an "o"... O!!! Gimme an "l"... L!!! again... L!!! Whaddaya got?
    I disagree, i can go through my contacts easily with few glances.
    Without looking: unlock phone get into contacts view, type first letter of first name and first one or two letters of last name.
    quick glance down: highlight number
    without looking: push to dial.

Keyboard with locating bump on 5 fine, dont need to look at it
    God, I totally disagree. The treo 600 is the best thing I have ever used. Dialling a phone is one step and everything else that it does is great. The keyboard is easy to use.

A great tool for me
    So you're able to reliably type 2 letters while driving (without looking) and only have one contact with those two initials?
    no, I said one first initial and one or two of the last initials and 80% of the time you get a screen of 5 or less and just click down. Ok maybe I exagerated a bit, but easier than looking up numbers in a conventional cell phone. I would never go back.

Phone is the worst part. Takes five steps to make one call from beginning to end, not counting the phone number.
    - It may be a bit difficult to dial while driving (!) but I have most numbers on my Favorites which makes it easier than most phones. Also, I use ArrowLauncher (to be renamed Initiate) which makes it a snap to find contacts.

Try that while steering your SUV! At half a pound, your conversations will be shorter.
    - Well, you shouldn't be dialing while driving! And you should be using a headset! None of us want to be hit by your 3 ton SUV!

Worse reception using same carrier as with previous phone.
    - I get great reception, similar to a pile of prior VZW phones.

The rest of it is completely counter-intuitive, especially layout of keyboard.
    - Huh, I think it is great. Go try a Pocket PC device if you want to see counter-intuitive.

Also, snyching with my laptop cost about $750, i.e., computer consultant time, Microsoft tech time and add'l software.
    Get a Mac. It is Plug and Play (vs Plug and Pray). Plus, no viruses, trojans, adware, spyware, etc.

Dude, you right. If dialing a phone number is too complicated for you, then the Treo is not for you!

Btw, using Butler's Klaunch feature, I can dial any number with one key press period! Also, you should have come here first to ask your questions before plunking down $$ on consultants! Be more specific with your problems and hopefully we can give your FREE solutions!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Some people are simply not designed with a Treo in mind

Seriously, what syncing problems have you had ? - I have no problems at all and I use Docs2Go!
    What's so counter-intuitive about the keyboard ? - try entering Vladimar Cyrnishenko on a Nokia - takes about um... 63 key presses and you definitely will crash your SUV!
    Try VoiceLauncher - say "Vladimir" and your Treo will call Vladimir - saves on all them key presses and you probably won't crash your SUV
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    Gimme a "t"... T!!! Gimme an "r"... R!!! Gimme an "o"... O!!! Gimme an "l"... L!!! again... L!!! Whaddaya got?
    With any luck, you get a suspension from posting for bashing a poster!

Let's see what happens!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    At half a pound, your conversations will be shorter.
    That's overstating the weight by about 30-35%. It's just over 6oz for CDMA, just under 6oz for GSM. You want to really see a heavy phone, look at the Audiovox Harrier. At 7.5 ounces, it feels like a brick.
    Talldog

$750 for tech support???? Maybe I should be charging for my insightful posts here...
    I have detailed files.
    You can set your treo so that you do not have to unlock on power on. This function is only set to protect against accidental key hits in your pocket. Turn the lock off. Also hot key some short cuts to people you call often. When I call my wife, all I do is hit the phone hard key and hold down "t". Two buttons. I can handle that while I am driving. The 650 adds to more "call" and "end" buttons for dumb Treo 600 users that can not figure out that the center button does both.
    Nevin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast