Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering what it was like when the Treo 600 came out last year. Was it as frustrating as getting a 650 this year? Did the 600 have the same frustrations with "pre-ordering" and delays that we have now?
    It was nowhere near as fustrating in my opinion. I got my 600 October of last year with no problems. And with a hefty loyalty discount
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Oh yeah, it was worse. At least for the GSM people.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by triacus
    Just wondering what it was like when the Treo 600 came out last year. Was it as frustrating as getting a 650 this year? Did the 600 have the same frustrations with "pre-ordering" and delays that we have now?
    Depends on what you call worse. I was able to preorder mine the day it was supposed to come out after seeing one person did it on the board. No worries.. When it comes out, it comes out.
    As many of us treoheads had been drooling for as long as 6 months, IMHO it was much worse. I got my CDMA 600 relatively quick after they went up for sale, but by then it had seemed like forever. BTW, I havent regretted it one little bit. I have had a problem free unit that I absolutely love, and just ordered the 650 from P1 last Thursday. I seem to be drooling less this time around, but I am still excited.
    Jeff
    this time last year, ppl were getting the 600 delivered, so it is worse.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It was just as crazy. The difference, I believe, is that we have more users and people anticipating this relelease.
    I think that the difference in all the other releases (each one gets worse) is that there is much more speculation. Prior to this we always had a solid rumered date and it was hit. I don't remember this much tension and uncertainty in 3 other releases.
    Last year was worse imo.

Ask again in a week and I might have a different answer!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I think the difference is that fewer readers/posters are fooled this time around.

Let's just say they're combat-hardened.

I've seen way more "Uh huh...sure...uh huh" posts than for all the prior TREO "releases" combined.
    There was DEFINITELY this much craziness, and rumored release date rumors, around the Verizon T600. GSM not so much (but still some); Sprint - well, I got mine before I started perusing TC about 13 months ago, so I don't know how crazy it was before then...
    It WAS more crazy last year. The 600 was a HUGE step up from the 300 (not to mention a revised form factor). But that was somewhat mitigated by the fact that HS shipped the day after they took orders (at least for those Sprint users who were the first ones in). P1 has our orders and the lack of a quality response is fueling speculation.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    HAHA!! It was about the same IMO, except traffic around here was alot slower since the Treo was not as popular as it is now. Actually it's quite funny to look back. At that time the focus was on the Treo 600 vs the then current competitors like the Moto MpX 200. I recall all the trolls like PurpleX/Suskind saying the Treo wouldn't survive the competition even back then!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #14  
    For all you "veterans", was it also the same that nobody had a Treo 600 then in-hand to talk to us about? I find it a little surprising that nobody here has been able to get a prototype Treo 650 (for more than an hour, apparently) to play with and tell us about
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by triacus
    For all you "veterans", was it also the same that nobody had a Treo 600 then in-hand to talk to us about? I find it a little surprising that nobody here has been able to get a prototype Treo 650 (for more than an hour, apparently) to play with and tell us about

Oh yes... the memories flood back. I remember a lot of indignation because TreoCentral mods were not given a pre-release model to work with - and to feed our insatiable need to know. I also recall that after an initial batch of shipped phones, the back orders (and frustration) set in. Lots of threats of cancelation - and most likely some actually occurred. I'd never seen such madness... I was one of the very lucky; had mine within 4 days of order - and I still have that original unit - problem free! So why do I need the 650 so urgently???

Do you think it's unreasonable to get out of bed at 10pm to see if palmOne shipped my phone since I last checked at 8pm -- and then to get stuck reading these messages again? Nah.. me neither! Car picks me up for the airport at 4am and I haven't packed yet, but I'm normal, and I have all of you to measure myself against.
    the real question is whether Palm has enough inventory to satisfy demand.

they completely underestimated demand...once the initial allotment was gone, it was months before you could get one, and even longer if you needed a defectiv─
    Thanks for the memories gfunk, I had completely forgotten about people like purplex..... they were rather snotty and shortsighted werent they.

But remember the joy we all experienced with the presentations from JakeE, his awesome review and all the details, and the guys who paid an arm and a leg to get a few of the demo models early. It was ravenous in here, everyone just trying to learn more... It does seem funny that no one got an early model to tempt us with.

It is not near as bad today, is it?
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The sad thing (I think... it's not like I have much of a memory at this age) was that it seemed that Handspring got smarter as the rollout progressed. At the start, the missed comittment date after comittment date. But then later in the rollout, they started using conservative dates so if anything, they'd exceed expectations. I actually got my unbranded GSM a week earlier than I was supposed to.

It seems that knowledge got lost somewhere in the PalmOne takeover.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    It was worse last year! Do you guys remember downloading the paper graphic of the 600 that you can cut and fold to make a mock t600 that was actual size and I think someone posted a pic of it with a cap of a highlighter taped on top to look like the antenna?? Oh yeah...it was worse!!!
    imho.... it was carzyier last year
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast