1.    #1  
    When I use Always On mode for Verichat, when does it use SMS e-mail exactly?

Does it use it if I am using the Treo in another app and Verichat is running in the background?

Does it use it only if I have the keyguard on and screen off?
    For the any message when you don't have the application open, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by klam
    When I use Always On mode for Verichat, when does it use SMS e-mail exactly?

Does it use it if I am using the Treo in another app and Verichat is running in the background?
    Yes, that is the way it works.

Does it use it only if I have the keyguard on and screen off?
    No, that doesn't matter. The PDAapps servers keep you logged on and send an sms to your Treo whenever someone IM's you...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    So what happens when you choose Always On - Data Mode, instead of the SMS mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by klam
    So what happens when you choose Always On - Data Mode, instead of the SMS mode?
    In the always-on mode, even when VeriChat is not launched, and even when the device is off, your buddies see your status as online and you will receive the messages sent by your buddies.

About the Data vs SMS connection, this is what PDAapps (http://www.pdaapps.com/verichat/support.html) says:

"If you choose always-on mode, on some devices (Treo 600 and I500) you will get an option of staying online with Data or with SMS. If you pick Data, a background data connection will be maintained between your device and the VeriChat servers. If you pick SMS, no data connection is maintained in standby mode (when your device's display is off). Instead, standby mode messages are sent over SMS."
  6.    #6  
    Thanks. I wanted to use Always On - Data Mode, since my provider charges for each SMS sent from e-mail. I already unchecked "auto login" but couldn't understand why Verichat still constantly tries to initiate a data connection.
    You can reconfigure VeriChat whenever you wish. VeriChat has two different options, which may appear similar, for the non always-on mode.
    1. Do you wish to logoff from your IM accounts when you exit VeriChat? Alternately, VeriChat can keep you online until your device is turned off. (Choose Yes or No).
    2. Would you like to connect automatically to IM services when your device is turned on? (Choose Yes or No).
    In the non always-on mode if you choose No for the first option, you will be logged on to your IM accounts even when you exit VeriChat, until you switch off your device.
    To take care of this, the messaging menu of VeriChat has two options: Exit VeriChat and Signoff All and Exit.

In the always-on mode, I think that the above options are not available, or has not meaning. Correct or wrong???
    Just FYI, for some the data connection option will kill your battery life. Especially if you are in a low signal area. The benefit of the SMS option is that it doesn't have to whisper a peep to the network as it sits idle. It just sits back and waits for the network to contact the phone. I lost 50% of my battery in under an hour of standby on a golf course one day (spotty coverage).
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have problems getting Verichat's always-on via SMS to work consistently. In spite of setting Verichat to always-on mode using SMS, if I don't have an active data connection to Vision, then I will appear offline to Yahoo Messenger and can't be sent any IM's. Pdaapps has ansered my emails but hasn't gotten anywhere yet. They suggested a clean re-install which I did to no avail. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?
    Last edited by docbrian; 01/31/2005 at 07:50 PM.
    I have been using Verichat for a week now in SMS mode and it has kept me online until 2 days ago. Starting then, It kicked me off every few hours. Maybe they are having some problems.
    I use SMS mode...less of a battery drain, and I've got unlimited SMS. Both methods work though.
    It seems Verichat still does drain a lot when I'm using it. Is this normal? I don't mean when I am in SMS mode or whatever, but when I am actually on the Verichat screen sending or receiving messages.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  13.    #13  
    I decided not to register Verichat afterall. While my carrier includes unlimited incoming mobile phone SMS, they must charge for e-mail SMS. I was not about to add an SMS plan to my already expensive voice+data plan just to use Verichat!

I ended up purchasing Causerie. It seemed to hold on to my ICQ/MSN connections longer without utilizing the Always On (SMS) mode in Verichat. I like the UI and some of the features in Causerie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    For the any message when you don't have the application open, I believe.
    Treo 600 GSM
    This is very Interesting. I chose the Data connection vs the SMS, becuase I get 100 SMS with Sprint. However, my battery last very short. if I select incoming SMS will they charge me? Or is it consider as an incoming e-mail by Sprint? Please Help

Thanks,

Al
  15.    #15  
    If you choose the SMS mode, they will count as SMS via e-mail. Not all carriers differentiate between regular SMS (from mobile phones) and e-mail gateway SMS. Its best to call them to find out, you don't want a huge bill at the end of the month. SMS via e-mail is usually <your telephone number>@<phone carrier>.com or something.

Normal e-mail you get in Snapper, Treomail, Chatter, Versamail, etc. is via data (i.e. GPRS).
    Treo 600 GSM
    If we want reliability for the messages I would say that Data Connection is faster and more reliable. SMS messages can take longer and could get lost. What do you guys thinks?

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    It seems Verichat still does drain a lot when I'm using it. Is this normal? I don't mean when I am in SMS mode or whatever, but when I am actually on the Verichat screen sending or receiving messages.

Anybody? Anybody?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA