1.    #1  
    According to the article, A6 will be the first car (coming January 2005) to have a seamless integration with the new TREO 650 PDA/Phone.

http://autospies.com/article/index.a...5&categoryId=8

Let's hope that they work out all the Bluetooth and PTI issues and give us a real nice integration.
    We've been talking about Bluetooth/650/Car kit integration in this forum as well.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=61001
    does anyone know what precisely the mean by "seamles integration" with the A6 beyond just hands free phone integration?
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    does anyone know what precisely the mean by "seamles integration" with the A6 beyond just hands free phone integration?
    Seemless integration is using the vehicle speakers. No headsets. A special omnimicrophone is hidden. Presently, I have a 2002 S430 with an integrated phone through an LCD center monitor console supporting caller ID and downloaded names from my cell phone's memory. Everything is by voice command i.e. "Dial name, dial number, store number, redial, etc..." The phone stays hidden, so I don't have to remove it from the car, or put it out of sight on entry/exit.

Having the Treo in plain site will get old quick -- at least for me. This is also a theft deterent. A Bluetooth in-dash unit will download all of your phone number names into memory, mute your radio on incoming/outgoing calls, and this all accessible by voice command. You car act as surrogate phone -- saving numbers, conference calling. Follow the links and you'll see what I am talking about. It's a good example of what I am talking about.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...odelCode=S430V

see > Features & Specs > Features Spotlight > Handsfree Communication System
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/14/2004 at 08:50 PM.
  5.    #5  
    SMS message on the Nav display is another possibility.
    the car/phone features sound pretty humdrum to me, but then I only have a 10 min commute.

SMS on the Nav sounds interesting. what about car stereo & GPS system integration on the A6?

also, does anyone know how significant the costs are to upgrade a car to be "seamlessly integrated" (as Audi defines it) with your T650?
    Off to iPhone land...
    Ghileman,

Audi will definitely integrate with the stereo, Nav, etc.

Visit www.driveblue.com
    or
    Visit www.Seidio.com
    or
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65323,00.html
    or
    http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hell.../hellomoto.htm

The are examples of aftermarket systems. Not completely integrated, but good retrofits. All of the answers to your questions about GPS, SMS, voice control etc are there if you do a thorough reading.
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/14/2004 at 11:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ypshan
    According to the article, A6 will be the first car (coming January 2005) to have a seamless integration with the new TREO 650 PDA/Phone.

http://autospies.com/article/index.a...5&categoryId=8

Let's hope that they work out all the Bluetooth and PTI issues and give us a real nice integration.

several months ago i got an e-mail from audi that they were giving away a treo 600 to anyone who purchased a new a8 within a certain time frame. unfortunately the military doesn't pay me enough to afford an $80k car so i had to pass =). however i believe that at that point audi and palm had gotten together to somehow integrate the treo into the mmi system that shipped with the new a8 and will now ship with the new a6. previously you could integrate a motorola phone into audi's audio system. should be interesting and hopefully done in such a way that other audi owners can source the components and install the system into newer vehicles. however i suspect this will be limited to audi's with the mmi interface.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Seemless integration is using the vehicle speakers. No headsets. A special omnimicrophone is hidden. Presently, I have a 2002 S430 with an integrated phone through an LCD center monitor console supporting caller ID and downloaded names from my cell phone's memory. Everything is by voice command i.e. "Dial name, dial number, store number, redial, etc..." The phone stays hidden, so I don't have to remove it from the car, or put it out of sight on entry/exit.

Having the Treo in plain site will get old quick -- at least for me. This is also a theft deterent. A Bluetooth in-dash unit will download all of your phone number names into memory, mute your radio on incoming/outgoing calls, and this all accessible by voice command. You car act as surrogate phone -- saving numbers, conference calling. Follow the links and you'll see what I am talking about. It's a good example of what I am talking about.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...odelCode=S430V

see > Features & Specs > Features Spotlight > Handsfree Communication System
    The benefit to the proposed system is that you CAN take your phone with you when you leave the car. The seemles system Audi discusses is bluetooth which provides for access to the internal audi speaker and mic sytem as an integrated. Also, there's no need to leave the phone exposed if you want to leave it in the car, and with say Sprint voice dial, one can command the same dialing features as the integrated, as well.
    Everything you say below is the same for the system I described in my earlier post. No differences...you CAN ALSO TAKE the phone with you when leave the car. The difference with an integrated Bluetooth technology is that the phone does not have to be hard-wired by a cradle/power suppy. I take my phone with me when I leave the car. Sprint voice IS LIMITED. WHAT ABOUT PHONE NUMBERS WHERE YOU HAVE TO PAUSE AND THEN ADD EXTENTIONS?

Am in-dash control box with intelligent voice recognition kicks ****. I've been spoiled with a great integrated system in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    The benefit to the proposed system is that you CAN take your phone with you when you leave the car. The seemles system Audi discusses is bluetooth which provides for access to the internal audi speaker and mic sytem as an integrated. Also, there's no need to leave the phone exposed if you want to leave it in the car, and with say Sprint voice dial, one can command the same dialing features as the integrated, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Ghileman,

Audi will definitely integrate with the stereo, Nav, etc.

Visit www.driveblue.com
    or
    Visit www.Seidio.com
    or
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65323,00.html
    or
    http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hell.../hellomoto.htm

The are examples of aftermarket systems. Not completely integrated, but good retrofits. All of the answers to your questions about GPS, SMS, voice control etc are there if you do a thorough reading.
    I apologize if I'm being unclear, so let me try to state my question with more precise language: Does anyone have or know where to find detailed, specific specs or marketing literature for the Audi seamless integration system for the Treo?
    Off to iPhone land...
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't Acura offered this for a while now on the TL? And doesn't BMW also offer bluetooth integration?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't Acura offered this for a while now on the TL? And doesn't BMW also offer bluetooth integration?
    When a friend of mines get into his Acura TL it recognizes his motorola 710 and he's able to place and receive calls using the car's voice command.
    My mom just took posession of her new A6 last week, so i've been fortunate enough to have some first hand experience with this. the 'MMS' system (Audi's language) allows you to pair your phone for seamless intigration with ALL your phones bluetooth features. The truth is that there isn't really anything special about the 650 and the car that any other bluetooth phone can't do. however, the two benefits the palm brings is that litterally any screen (w/ the exception of web content) is viewable from the center dash display screen. so if you have a picture assigned to a contact, their picture shows up in addition to their name/number when an incomming call comes in, pretty cool. the other benefit of the 650 is that upon the first pairing, the car goes through this whole automatic process and downloads your address book AND calendar into the computer - aparently it keeps them synced too - but i can't confirm that part. also, when a call comes in from someone in your address book, a small button comes up on the touch screen that says "map it" or something like that that when pushed uses the GPS to guide you to the address for that contact, kinda cool i guess though i can't really think of an application.

I got all this info cause this is now the 18th Audi my dad has bought from the same guy where my parents live (what can i say he loves audis) so he is really more a family friend than a car dealer. anyways, he owns the dealership and has all the "internal specs" for the promotion (lets face it, that's really what it is) anyways, i was home for the weekend and i took the car down for him to show me the toys. he showed me all the standard bluetooth stuff with my nokia 3650 and than we looked at the spec sheet to see what else is going to be available. anyways, when i can finally get a 650, i'll be sure to play and give a much more thorough review!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    I apologize if I'm being unclear, so let me try to state my question with more precise language: Does anyone have or know where to find detailed, specific specs or marketing literature for the Audi seamless integration system for the Treo?
    Someone got excited about a pre-announcing of an Audi/PalmOne joint featuring an integrated phone. Audi intends to announce it officially in the coming weeks. No marketing literature is out there yet.

Hype and hot air.
    Quote Originally Posted by samzerb
    My mom just took posession of her new A6 last week, so i've been fortunate enough to have some first hand experience with this. the 'MMS' system (Audi's language) allows you to pair your phone for seamless intigration with ALL your phones bluetooth features. The truth is that there isn't really anything special about the 650 and the car that any other bluetooth phone can't do. however, the two benefits the palm brings is that litterally any screen (w/ the exception of web content) is viewable from the center dash display screen. so if you have a picture assigned to a contact, their picture shows up in addition to their name/number when an incomming call comes in, pretty cool. the other benefit of the 650 is that upon the first pairing, the car goes through this whole automatic process and downloads your address book AND calendar into the computer - aparently it keeps them synced too - but i can't confirm that part. also, when a call comes in from someone in your address book, a small button comes up on the touch screen that says "map it" or something like that that when pushed uses the GPS to guide you to the address for that contact, kinda cool i guess though i can't really think of an application.

I got all this info cause this is now the 18th Audi my dad has bought from the same guy where my parents live (what can i say he loves audis) so he is really more a family friend than a car dealer. anyways, he owns the dealership and has all the "internal specs" for the promotion (lets face it, that's really what it is) anyways, i was home for the weekend and i took the car down for him to show me the toys. he showed me all the standard bluetooth stuff with my nokia 3650 and than we looked at the spec sheet to see what else is going to be available. anyways, when i can finally get a 650, i'll be sure to play and give a much more thorough review!
    some nice detective work here! thanks for the preview.
    Off to iPhone land...
  17.    #17  
    samzerb,

WOW!! That will be by far the most integrated system I've ever known!

Most factory installed bluetooth system would only recognize very limited information on the phone.

For example, the following is the brand new Land Rover LR3 with the latest Nokia bluethooth system on the digital MOST bus.

======================================

EXTERNAL ANTENNA CONNECTION FOR CRADLE
    Both LR3 and Range Rover have an external Antenna connection when using a cradle docked phone.

DIALING POINTS OF INTEREST FROM NAV SCREEN
    If the navigation and PTI are fitted and the map database contains the phone number of that particular POI, a softkey exists on the navigation display to dial that particular POI. This feature is available on Range Rover and LR3 if navigation and PTI are fitted.

As LR3 as of today does not have the telephone option factory fitted, so this feature (the ability to dial the number) is currently disabled in the navigations system. Please be aware that POI information can still be viewed on the navigation screen, but the softkey is not displayed to dial the number.

FACTORY INSTALLED PTI SYSTEM DELIVERY
    The PTI system is proposed to start line fitment at Land Rover manufacturing on the first week in February 2005.
    With the lead times that the vehicle has from the UK to the USA, the vehicles will get to the USA until early to mid-March, however this cannot be guaranteed as it depends on the process and timings of shipping cars to the US.

BLUETOOTH PHONE COMPATIBILITY
    Unfortunately not all Bluetooth phones operate with the PTI system. During the LR testing, it has been shown that Bluetooth has not been implemented in the same way by all mobile telephone manufacturers, nor does the echo cancellation DSP (Digital Signal Processing).

LR will soon be supplying an Information Bulletin, listing all the Bluetooth phones and docked phones which Land Rover approve with the PTI system together with the software version of the phones themselves.

NON-NOKIA DOCKED PHONE COMPATIBILITY
    LR are working currently on solutions for Siemens and Sony Ericsson cradles, however the timing for release of these cradles is currently unknown as this testing does not start until the week of Nov 15th.

Docked cradles are predominantly used for 4 reasons:
    1) Phonebook
    2) Call registers (missed, received and dialled calls)
    3) Charging of the mobile telephone
    4) External Antenna connection.

With Bluetooth these features are not available.

PTI SYSTEM FEATURES
    There is no formal marketing information currently available for PTI. However the list below details the PTI system features:

Voice Dialling:
    Voice dialling, holds up to 50 names in memory

Telephone Voice Recognition Commands:

Phone dial number/Dial phone number
    Phone redial/Redial
    Phone dial name/Dial name
    Phone store name
    Phone play directory/Read phone book
    Phone delete directory/Clear phone book
    Phone help

Telephone Sub-Commands

Correction
    Delete
    Cancel
    Store
    Dial
    Yes
    No
    Replay
    Numbers 0-9
    Double
    Treble/Triple

Digital Voice Processing:
    Full Duplex communication, noise reduction and echo cancellation

Multiple Bluetooth Phone Use:
    Up to 7 phones can be paired via bluetooth with the same PTI system.

Manual Controls:
    1) Audio volume control through the steering wheel controls and via the radio faceplate

2) System Menu access through the radio faceplate and the instrument pack if using the steering wheel controls.
    I took possession of my '05 Audi A6 (v8) two weeks ago and bought the 650 yesterday. Car recognizes incoming calls and also links up when call is placed from the 650. But, it doesn't recognize the 650 any other time which prevents address book upload and placing of a call from the Audi MMI system. Anyone had a different experience with the 650 and Audi A6? Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong or where I can go to fix the issue?