Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    if that is the reason for the delay, I will buy eveyone in this thread a 650.
    I'm sure we could strike a little deal with Pete Skillman to put out a "press release" if you catch my drift... Hmmm, so where was I? Oh yes, I want Sprint CDMA version please.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    the guy at boton show said clearly that Wireless providers are aginst wifi, and p1 has to listen to the privisders in order to continue their business. So expect no wifi support for treo. He kind of even explained why - with wifi people would be able to use VOIP software like skype and make phone calls on their Treos withot paing sprint - and sprind wants evry dime they can dig out of your pocket. Same thing with 1.3mp camera - sprint said they don't want people to be sending larger picture files over their network
    Quote Originally Posted by stokar
    Could PalmOne be holding the 650 until they have the WiFi driver?

Just a thought...
    I Doubt it since It seemed Plain to me at the chicago roadshow that The carriers dont want wifI
    Read Ed Colligan's e-mail... no delay and hence no free Treos.

Todd/Indy
    ridiculous wifi arguments - why should P1 be the only nice pal in the room, whereas HP, Nokia, Dell and all the others dont care about the carrier's opinion and just include what consumers ask for?

listening to the carriers will make P1 the loser in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    ridiculous wifi arguments - why should P1 be the only nice pal in the room, whereas HP, Nokia, Dell and all the others dont care about the carrier's opinion and just include what consumers ask for?

listening to the carriers will make P1 the loser in the end.
    a pathetic dodge -- even Splint is selling the 6601 -- which though they ripped out the internal wifi, still is able to use common wifi sd cards.

If the Handspring people were in charge still, I doubt we'd be hearing excuses like these.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm
    So expect no wifi support for treo. He kind of even explained why - with wifi people would be able to use VOIP software like skype and make phone calls on their Treos withot paing sprint
    Too little, too late.

-- http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pcworld/118610

The Big Guys are already there - bigtime.
    im in too. treo 650 gimme...gimme...gimme
    mikec,
    thanks...my wife could use one too.
    Hey,
    Free treo 650. Count me in. That's a lot of people to make sure you don't make such a "tardanic" remark if it is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighRollN95
    I found out that the GSM Treo 650 will have the expansion for Wi-Fi SDIO capability with the new Palm OS 5.4, January 12th 2005 for the unlocked smart device.
    I've started to see some posts that make it sound like HighRollN95 knows a thing or two about what Palm is doing. Does anyone have a reason to doubt this? Any reason why the drivers would work for CDMA phones. I mean the SDIO slots should be the same right?
    While looking for something else:

== "...(2) The defect rate was even too high for PalmOne to tolerate
    == so they sent them back (yeah, yeah, I know - totally unbelievable).
    ==
    == (3) They decided the software patch that they were working on was
    == important enough to get installed BEFORE general shipping because
    == their contracts with the two carriers they have now have HARD "epidemic
    == failure" clauses that they for sure don't want to trigger right up front
    == (based on their latest financial filing)..."

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=epidemic

Giggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I've started to see some posts that make it sound like HighRollN95 knows a thing or two about what Palm is doing. Does anyone have a reason to doubt this? Any reason why the drivers would work for CDMA phones. I mean the SDIO slots should be the same right?
    remember how p1 was taking about radio interference of wifi and phone, could it be that CDMA have a frequency that interfear with wifi but GSM have a frequency that do not?

just a thought...
    That was a joke a long time ago disregard that one...sorry!
    ~What does a pimp consider a girl with a Treo?~
    ~A Tree-Hoe~
    i personally don't know if the Treo 650 is going to have wi-fi or not but I'm sure a driver could most likely be established in some way with the new operating system it has...but don't note me for that, I thought about it and I figured it would be cool to have that technology in the T650
    ~What does a pimp consider a girl with a Treo?~
    ~A Tree-Hoe~
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123