Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Regarding the list of banks/credit unions, a SplashData salesperson, Blaine,
    e-mailed me the full list earier today. I'd post it here, but don't want to waste bandwith unless there's a Web link on SplashData's Website. If that's the case, could someone post that link (to all the financial institutions)?
    ###
    Enjoyable thread. I have comments and questions.

First, the comments (rather paternalistic and obvious):

1. For online accounts, I assign every financial institution a unique user name and password. That limits the damage, obviously, if one is comprimised.

2. Your user name should not be the default SSN or your name. Making your user name obscure is almost like adding a second password.

3. Aggregators ("account scrapers") are convenient, but watch out. Here's something I bet you never thought could happen. I had one set up at a brokerage where this service is provided by Yodlee. I had my credit card, among other accounts, aggregated here. But, there was a major problem. The credit card changed their login page and the aggregator could no longer login. However, it kept trying--so many times, in fact, that my credit card company thought someone was trying to hack into my account and suspended it with a fraud alert. My wife discovered this when she tried to buy gas far from home and late at night. She called me, but it was a weekend, and the security department at the credit card company was closed and it couldn't be reversed until two days later.

4. I have used both Quicken (Mac) and Money (PC). I'm tired of them both. Money is unstable bloatware that now has unwelcome advertisements and runs on an inherently insecure and increasingly unstable OS. And I hear that recent versions of Quicken are suffering. My preference is to use finacial institution web portals as much as possible. Whenever possible, I pay my bills through my bank's online billpay and, if possible, also receive the "ebills" there. I try to avoid paper checks and use a single credit card for every purchase. The credit card is aggregated with my bank--which does not use Yodlee and has proven to be stable. I still use Money to download the three sources of transactions: online billpay, credit card, and the few paper checks. And, the only reason that I do so, is to keep track of deductable purchases for tax purposes. I'm hoping that something like Splash money will be able to take Money's place here. (I gave up on Money long ago for keeping track of other investments and credits; it gets out of balance with the other accounts and there's no easy way to fix it. Also, my major retirement account and my credit card (chosen for a generous rewards package) are at two of the nation's biggest financial institutions and aren't represented in Money.

If you've made it this far, then here are the questions (all based on the premise that I'd love to be completely independent of the desktop and just do everything wirelessly or through portals):

1. Are you all concerned about wireless secruity issues? I know its https encrypted, but still?

2. What do you all think about having all that information on a portable device, the Treo, that may be easy to lose or leave behind somewhere. Again, I know its encrypted, but, still, how would you feel if you lost it?
    I'm not concerned with the wireless security any more than I am about using Quicken to download data to my desktop.

And as for losing info, well my Treo never leaves my sight for one thing, and for another, there ain't much info to know!
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I've used Money since '96 - true the software has been getting bloated over the years but it has always been stable for me. I track all my accounts including brokerages and funds with Money - not a problem. When banking online became available, I was one of the first to on the wagon - didn't have any concerns then about security. Then came wireless stock trading - jumped on the wagon immediately. Still no concerns here. Now that SplashMoney can bank wirelessly, I might jump on that except it doesn't sync with Money so it won't do me any good. Now if UltraSoft Money comes out with it, I'll revisit it. But seriously, after I've mulled it over awhile, I don't actually like watching my finances constantly. I've found that once a week is all it takes to keep on top of my finances. So in retrospect, my banking will probably not be on my Treo. Wireless stock trading however is a must.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Splashmoney desktop is synching with AMEX, but handheld is still having trouble after the first few times!! Anyone know what's going on?ve version 4.03 installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Regarding the list of banks/credit unions, a SplashData salesperson, Blaine,
    e-mailed me the full list earier today. I'd post it here, but don't want to waste bandwith unless there's a Web link on SplashData's Website. If that's the case, could someone post that link (to all the financial institutions)?
    http://www.splashdata.com/splashmoney/banks.htm

-ae
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
  7.    #47  
    Please see my new thread related to Splash Money 4.0 and non-supported credit Unions/banks here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...225#post598225
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123