Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I would like to upgrade to my 650 without drawing attention from Sprint. I ordered my device from the Road Show. I beileve that I can call Sprint tell them "I have a new treo, please enable it for me... uhmmm I don't really know the model number, I bought it and didn't ask" but I would prefer to enable it myself. Any thoughts out there?

For context the reason I want to do this is that I have concerns about changes to my Vision plan. I would prefer this didn't turn into another speculation thread regarding what they will or wont do about Vision or who has owned what BT device and it didn't matter.

Personally, I would rather keep a low profile (other than posting publicly where Sprint can read it of course ).
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    I just told Sprint I was upgrading and asked if I could extend my plan. They said "sure", and confirmed that the plan would be the same.
    Is there a charge to change phones?
    No charge to change phones with sprint. Vision is the same. If you are changing from a non picture phone, or a non pda phone you may wish to change your vision plan to one with pictures or one with the professional pack but other than that there is not change required to your plan.

The issue here is if they allow the BT modem, there may be some vision with teathering plan in the future that costs more or has some data limit, but this is all speculation. I seriously doubt that if your phone is activated if this type of plan ever comes out that they will force you to change.
    don't sweat it.

just call, say your phone broke, and you have a new one. act like it is a normal phone replacement.

get the esn activated. no muss no fuss
    Usually after you give them the esn, they read the phone moel number back to you. They certainly know the device as they need to call up the programming instructions.
    I dont think this is anything to worry about. Again, this is not the first bluetooth handset made available by sprint, and t608 users never ran into any issues.(atleast the ones that transferred existing service to t608)

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Also all this speculation on increase in Vison rates is based on nothing but rumors. The 650 doesn't even ship with DUN enabled, so you will not be able to use it this way anyhow. Yes Sprint will know the type of phone you have once you read them the ESN number.
    As robber said, once you give them your ESN they will know which model you have. I'm a Sony-Ericsson T608 user who worried about the rumored 3MB monthly cap. It never surfaced. At this point I say don't worry about it. If they drop $15 unlimited Vision on this phone I'll be immediately looking to sell it. If they want to keep DUN disabled and "sell" that feature in exchange for a higher-priced Vision plan, that's fine. I can live without that.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    This isn't any big deal. I've switched my phone number back and forth with a number of phones. Sprint doesn't care. When you switch your number to a different ESN they do nt look at what your plan is at all.
    Every time I get a new phone I just call Sprint (buisness in my case) and say "ESN swap" to Claire. when a real person answers tell them the same thing, that you want to do and ESN swap. give them the 650 ESN and you're set. Sometimes it takes them a while to go through the instructions on how to set up the phone (especially with brand new phones) but I've never had a problem.

Prob be able to re-up whatever plan you have for another year or two to get service credits at the same time.
    This is why I like GSM with the SIM card.. TMO won't even know I got a new phone =)
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Usually after you give them the esn, they read the phone moel number back to you. They certainly know the device as they need to call up the programming instructions.
    I dont think this is anything to worry about. Again, this is not the first bluetooth handset made available by sprint, and t608 users never ran into any issues.(atleast the ones that transferred existing service to t608)

-rob
    ditto