Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been waiting, like the rest of you for the TREO 650 to come out. I wanted to share just a thought that I found to be true for myself.

I was (and still am) impressed with the new Audivox PPC6601. I read all of the reasons that folks were switching (from the Treo). signed up for Sprint Business account and received the 6601 on Thursday.

IT IS VERY NICE, as you've read.

BUT, each minute I've used it, etc. I kept thinking that it is a great PDA with a phone. The size is aceptable, but it's not a Great Phone with a PDA.

I'm more of the user who wants a great phone with a PDA. Tonight I went to get a Bluetooth Headset, and there was a Treo 600. I looked at it, looked at my new 6601 and realized I compromised what I've wanted all along.

I called Sprint, as I'm a new customer and will be returning the 6601 on Monday morning and waiting with the rest of you for my New Treo 650 to arrive.

I only share this story for those of us that may rush to satisfaction and not always find it so
    Thanks for posting your experience. I was tempted for a few hours by the 6601. But then I came to my senses and realized that I have been burned by that fire before. I have had PPC devices and a PPC phone before and they are beautiful and they are power and they do it all...they just don't do it all well.

When I first used the Treo 600 for about 10 minutes, I realized that not only was I coming back to the Palm OS for good but that I was going to be a Treo devotee until something could out-do the Zen of Treo (combination of size, usability, keyboard, one-handed operation for almost everything, etc).

Here's hoping your wait for the 650 will be short.

-GadgetPro
    You know...if there was a PPC phone device with the design and specs of the XDAIII and the size of imate JAM, I would be interested...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    gfunkmagic, I still think I'd go with the Treo 650
    To anyone who has ever thought about leaving the Treo for the PPC 6601. Enjoy this reading.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=Confessions
    Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.

I too was tempted, but I finally decided on the 650 due to form factor, etc. You hit the nail right on the head when you said that the Treo is a phone w/ a pda. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I have a 650 on back order (as do we all). I figured, while I was waiting, I would order the 6601 and see what all the fuss is about. I mean, I know what to expect from the 650. At best, it will be improvements equal to the differences between the 300 and 600. I will play with the 6601 for a week. After that, it will be returned or kept based on how much I like or dislike it.

Besides, I'm bored with the Treo 600. Yeah, the new one will go faster and have a better display, but pretty much more of the same. Maybe I'll just leave the fold for the next 12 months. After all, I have no moral obligation to stay with Palm, although I do feel like I'm cheating on my wife for some stupid reason I can't fathom.
    You are all so right! And guess what? Until we manhandle this thing for a good while, it's hard to tell what kinds of leaps and bounds this phone took. I also must have a decent phone first since I use no landlines making this MY ONLY DEVICE! Despite some buggy setbacks I still stayed in touch and kept it business. Again no P1 apologist here but dag, this thing has changed my life. I mean the real thrill is to see what cool 3rd party apps will appear to make the 650s even smarter! Other phones are coming closer but thus far the T6 is still more practical as an everyday phone and more. I can tell you most biz folk are not IT savvy and just want to send/receive email, organize calendar, listen to a lil music or audiobook not configure networks, remotely fix company servors and convert their keypads to bomb-detonators ,
    they just want a reliable pda/phone that behaves well and respond to their ever -changing demands. The competition is gaining but for now the T650 may have just enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You know...if there was a PPC phone device with the design and specs of the XDAIII and the size of imate JAM, I would be interested...
    what makes you think one is not on the work? Do you think iJam succesor won't get a WiFi eventually ala p50?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    I've been waiting, like the rest of you for the TREO 650 to come out. I wanted to share just a thought that I found to be true for myself.

I was (and still am) impressed with the new Audivox PPC6601. I read all of the reasons that folks were switching (from the Treo). signed up for Sprint Business account and received the 6601 on Thursday.

BUT, each minute I've used it, etc. I kept thinking that it is a great PDA with a phone. The size is aceptable, but it's not a Great Phone with a PDA.

I'm more of the user who wants a great phone with a PDA. Tonight I went to get a Bluetooth Headset, and there was a Treo 600. I looked at it, looked at my new 6601 and realized I compromised what I've wanted all along.

I called Sprint, as I'm a new customer and will be returning the 6601 on Monday morning and waiting with the rest of you for my New Treo 650 to arrive.

I only share this story for those of us that may rush to satisfaction and not always find it so

what add on utility have you installed and what utility do you use on treo600? (phone add on functionalities)
    I think some people just have a harder time giving up familiarity to anything, a person, handheld device, car, etc. We are all creatures of habit, all want to check out the grass over the fence, but usually come back to what we are familiar with...good or bad.

I don't think you compromised by going to the PPC 6601, I think it was just too much of a radical change for you. Feature by feature, capacity by capacity, the Treo line is a compromise compared to the PPC 6601, but size is very important to some, and most on this board seem only interested in a PHONE FIRST, crippled PDA second. So, yeah, stick with your comfort level, and stick with TREO.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd

This reminds me of my experience with the Samsung i700 last year. It, too, was a very nice PDA, with a wonderfully-bright screen and all. Still, it was very clearly a PDA with phone functionality grafted on almost as an afterthought.

I'll keep my Treo 600 for now, and consider upgrading to the 650 depending on any deals that might become available.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Welcome back, bobbdd. Sometimes we don't know how good we have it with Palm till we don't have it anymore....
    The Windows Phone looks good... I'll bet the WiFi works well... But I'll bet it feels big in your hand. I look like a geek allready, I don't think I need a Star Trek Tri-Corder strapped to my hip...
    I too left the Treo 600 for a better screen and wi-fi. I tried using bluetooth with the clie TH55(uk) and the nokia 7610 (1.2 megapixel). Both nice products but I missed the usability of my treo. I'm back using it only and enjoying it more than ever. I'd never go back to two items. I've looked at windows devices but palm still beats them for ease of use.

Roll on the 650 its going to be awesome........
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I'm still going to try the 6600 when it becomes available (bar any reports of extreme bugs or something).

The Treo does have an ease of use factor, but that's because it's very simplistic in terms of an OS. If that's enough for you, great. I do think the Treo has a better phone app from what I've read. But I can go to the T600 forum and see people that have had problems too. Nothing is perfect. But for what *I* want to do, the PPC looks like it would satisfy me better.

I also find it funny to see so many people care about what strangers think of the phone they are holding. :-)
    I am not a Treo fanatic. But I believe in its size, form factor, ease of use, and integration. The Nokia Communicator nearly had it were not for its size. It was my benchmark in usability, multi-tasking, and integration. The PPC is simply big. Its input via stylus is not good enough for me. So, whatever others believe is so good with their PPC device, good for you. I will wait for the Treo 650 even for as long as Feb-March. (That's when my plan expires :-) )
    the PPC6601 is a Sprint crippled PDA2K -- it lacks WIFI -- which is what makes the PDA2K much more than the 650.

(Sprint has the worst customer service, cripples its phones, its services, yet people stay with them -- go figure...)
    (Sprint has the worst customer service, cripples its phones, its services, yet people stay with them -- go figure...)
    One word... Data. Wi-fi is nice, but usually the only hotspots I am in on a consistent basis are either at my store, where I have my own laptop, the 3 PCs in my section, and a whole computer and PDA department that is covered, and at my home, where I have 802.11 A & G running on a 4 mb/s cable line. If I am out and about elsewhere, then usually all I wanna do is check email, IMs and hit a few sites just to check directions, movietimes, and froogle. Sprint's CDMA 1x can do that well enough, for $10 unltd (I got a granfathered plan + a 23% discount) I also have a demo line with Cingular (was ATT) with a Nokia 3650 on it that I sometimes use with my HP 5500 ipaq, via bluetooth. GPRS is way too slow even for email. usually all I get is about 15kbps! COmpare that to around 90-105kbps on the treo. (Tests done via mobile.broadbandreports.com)

Now when Cingular gets Edge up and running, then I may revisit this... But they're gonna have to offer it at the same price as Vision. Let's not forget that EV-DO will roll out next year and give speads around 300-400kbps... And that the PPC 6600-6601 is upgradeable to that. Why would I need wi-fi? BTW I have used the PPC-6601 for 2 weeks, and it aint that hard to pop in a wifi SD card if I need to. takes all of what, 2-3 seconds? come on people. Wi-fi ain't really a deal killer here if you're using sprint!
    Last edited by starrwulfe; 11/15/2004 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    But, can't you add a WiFi card in via SDIO on the 6601 ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast