1.    #1  
    1. Adapter to use stereo headphones
    2. Your first 32 extra MB of memory
    -- If they advertise this as an MP3 player, it should work as one out of the box
    3. A cradle instead of a cable
    4. A real case

<insert joke here>

<my response>

Ha, ha.
    No offence, but nothing is free, add $40 to the MSRP and then you will have your free stuff.

The consumer drives the price down, then companies have to find someway to increase profit, so they just include the very, very basics. If only 50% or even 75% of the people will use it, why waist the money including it. Like when Sony use to include a car adaptor with their portable CD players, what a waist of money on their end.

Just like when you go to a drive thru fast-ffod joint now, you have to ASK for Catsup. Someone figured out all the money that was being waisted due to people not using the 'free' included catsup and so on...
    My treo 600 replacement was a 7100t.The 7100t is provided with a very workable case with a magnet that turns off the screen,2 usb cables that can be used to charge the unit with a PC or in the wall and mostimportantly,4 or 5 wall plug adapters for the us,uk,France,etc.the unit only costs 200,has high res,runs java apps,bb,etc.32 Meg at a 200 or lower price point.
    i'm still on my treo300, but i happen to prefer the cable (though not the OEM one, i use the usb sync-charge cable) and there is such a variety of what folks like in cases that they could not possibly put just one out there that would make people happy. and i have been very happy with my $12 case from brookstone and would have resented the phone being $40-50 more just to come with a case i didn't want anyway...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Well, the "cable v. cradle" issue is an important one when you have a removable battery. Even lowly Samsung gave you a cradle with the i500 for charging the spare battery (oh yeah, they gave you an even larger spare battery with the jewel).

And while we're at it, another rant - "PALM - DITCH ALL NON-USB CHARGE/SYNC CABLES." We've now had third party universal USB sync/charge cables for three generations of Palm OS devices, and even universal adapters that let you plug into car or home AC outlets. Enough with the proprietary adapters that plug into another cable (or the unit) for power separate from syncing!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    As far as the charge/Sync cable, once again, it's a money issue and what people want need, verse cost. Here is my take once again, it may be incorrect....

Old school,Handspring Visor Pro. You get a cradle and an AC wall charger that plugs into the cradle cable. This is nice, but a pain to pack if you need to travel and want to charge your Pro, you have to have both the cradle and the AC wall unit. So why not use the USB charge method, well not all USB can supply the current and or voltage, look at the USB hubs that have a AC adaptor becasue of current draw. WHat if you have other things using the USB power, then there is a current issue, not to meantion that the voltage is lower then what the battery wants. Look at the output of your Treo wall charger and look at the spec for USB, it's a little lower. I think the USB will only give up to 5Volts at .45Amp and the AC wall unit is 5.2Volt at 1.0Amp. So it will take longer to charge off a USB powered sorce and poeple would complain about the horrid long time it takes to charge their unit. ALso, without the full voltage, can you get a 100% true charge?

So enter the Treo type system, you have a USB sync cable, small and easy to pack. You also have a small AC adaptor that can plug right into the Treo it's small and easy to pack too (not a big cradle and charger too). Also you can plug the charge into the USB cable if you want to sync and charge too. So it is a compromise... Small, easy to pack, will chage and sync too, universal if you will. A good solution, I don't know, but it's a compromise.

If you have a USB sync cable, a wall Charger and a cradle, then that is a lot of money for them to spend for only 50% of the people (back to the catsup,only a .02 savings per person I assume, but it adds up. I bet the cradle has to cost them more then 75cents, I would guess a dollar) , then there are the ones that would complain becuase there is only one charger and they want to charge from the sync cable at home and the cradle at work, so then they have to give two chargers, even more money.

Anyway, I am sure you get the point, yea it would be nice to have all this stuf for free, but would it really be free?

I am sure some marketing sales guru has a 7 hours Power Point presentation on this exact info...LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot
    1. Adapter to use stereo headphones
    2. Your first 32 extra MB of memory
    -- If they advertise this as an MP3 player, it should work as one out of the box
    3. A cradle instead of a cable
    4. A real case

<insert joke here>

<my response>

Ha, ha.
    Every Digital Camera I buy comes with some lame-o card that I never use again, and I figured I paid for it.

Cradle Hmm I like them but am glad they included something that works well as a travel charger. I have never bought any of the cradles for any of my Treos.

Case I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Every Digital Camera I buy comes with some lame-o card that I never use again, and I figured I paid for it.

Cradle Hmm I like them but am glad they included something that works well as a travel charger. I have never bought any of the cradles for any of my Treos.

Case I agree
    The problem here is that the competition is offering all this. Just about everyone ELSE besides Palm1 is providing a cradle that charges via USB, and a seperate travel charger.

I don't see why we should settle for less than the competition. For some reason palm1 thinks they don't have competition or something.
    I'd just assume buy all these things myself save the MP3 player and save money on the device itself. I wouldn't use a cradle or case and if these were included the Treo might be 619.99 or something like that. Considering that other people would buy a case to their liking anyway, they're out $20 or so with this plan.

When you think of what should come free, you should ask if at least 80% of the people are going to use it. If that's the case then you have to analyze the savings you can get if you buy in bulk. For instance, in the MP3 player, Palm has probably cut a deal with Real for a licenses for a quarter million copies. If we were to buy it ourselves, it might be something like $15, however Palm could have just given $1M (or $4 a copy) and those 80% of the people that use the software just saved $11. 20% of the people basically are going to pay $4 than they normally would. That's makes it a good idea for Palm buy it in bulk and put it in overall. (For what it's worth the MP3 player is an example, I don't know if Real even charges for it.)

So until you really have the market research that most people use a specific case and that you can save a large amount by buying the said case in bulk, you can't say it should come pre-packaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'd just assume buy all these things myself save the MP3 player and save money on the device itself. I wouldn't use a cradle or case and if these were included the Treo might be 619.99 or something like that. Considering that other people would buy a case to their liking anyway, they're out $20 or so with this plan.

When you think of what should come free, you should ask if at least 80% of the people are going to use it. If that's the case then you have to analyze the savings you can get if you buy in bulk. For instance, in the MP3 player, Palm has probably cut a deal with Real for a licenses for a quarter million copies. If we were to buy it ourselves, it might be something like $15, however Palm could have just given $1M (or $4 a copy) and those 80% of the people that use the software just saved $11. 20% of the people basically are going to pay $4 than they normally would. That's makes it a good idea for Palm buy it in bulk and put it in overall. (For what it's worth the MP3 player is an example, I don't know if Real even charges for it.)

So until you really have the market research that most people use a specific case and that you can save a large amount by buying the said case in bulk, you can't say it should come pre-packaged.
    RealPlayer is free to anyone (for palm). I am pretty sure that REAL paid Palm1 to include it on the Treo650.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I bet Real paid Palm. If it is anything like the PC version, no manufactorer would pay for that level of SUCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    And while we're at it, another rant - "PALM - DITCH ALL NON-USB CHARGE/SYNC CABLES." We've now had third party universal USB sync/charge cables for three generations of Palm OS devices, and even universal adapters that let you plug into car or home AC outlets. Enough with the proprietary adapters that plug into another cable (or the unit) for power separate from syncing!
    You NEVER need to charge your treo separate from syncing? I guess you don't travel much. I used my Treo travelling around Japan and China this summer. Didn't need to sync it at all (good thing, since I didn't carry a computer with me), but I did need to charge it several times. Including a USB charge cable is fine, but not at the expense of an AC charger.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    RealPlayer is free to anyone (for palm). I am pretty sure that REAL paid Palm1 to include it on the Treo650.
    Exactly why I said that Real was an example. Perhaps I should have used VersaMail as the example. In any event, substitute whatever extra you want in place of Real player. The point I was trying to make is what matters.