Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    personally, after 2 years on these boards i don't know why anybody would put much stock in what some salesperson at a sprint store is saying. the info on here is much more reliable. i think most of them have just taken a big step up from their 'fry-o-lator engineering' job...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    As someone just mentioned, the SE T608 (which I had for a while) has bluetooth and Sprint's unlimited Vision plan didn't change.
    Who said most users at SU.com have 3mb plans ? I'm a member there and haven't heard this. Also, DUN is enabled on the Sprint Treo 650... If you currently have unlimited vision, that will not change even if Sprint does change their data plan.
    Fellow SE T608 owner here. The rumored 3MB cap never materialized. I think they were just bluffing to keep the geeks away.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClones
    Also, DUN is enabled on the Sprint Treo 650... If you currently have unlimited vision, that will not change even if Sprint does change their data plan.
    I thought bluetooth DUN would not be enabled on the Treo 650 Intially. Have you received one that is different otherwise?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I don't know exactly what they are, but they are on the way. According to my sources, Vision will go up, but no one will be forced to adopt these. Basically, if you do, you will be "officially" granted tethering rights. This will be across the board for ALL phones, not just BT. It will give you the right to technical support through Sprint IF you are using their "Mobile Data Kit" which will return to corporate stores as this happens. Again, I have no idea what the pricing structure is, and I know $15 unlimited vision WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE, even to new customers. This will just be an added type of plan to try and entice people who are going to tether to give Sprint a little more money for the larger amounts of bandwidth they'll be tying up. No biggie. Thought I'd share.
    Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to receive from my post. I was hoping Sprint had a plan in place, aside from simply mandating a data limit just b/c a phone has BT. Cool.
    You are jumping the gun! I've learned that no one knows (Sprint Employes) what they hell they are talking about and very few people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    You are jumping the gun! I've learned that no one knows (Sprint Employes) what they hell they are talking about and very few people do.
    BINGO. I think just for kicks I'm going to go to my local Sprint store (Suburban Washington DC) to play around with the 600 a bit more and see if anyone there knows anything about the 650 or the possible impending data plan changes.

As for the bluetooth DUN issue: Any sort of tethering SHOULD be casual. The much slower speed than DSL or cable broadband should be a great detterent from using tethering regularly. I hope Sprint wakes up and realizes that and also realize that the mast majority of people who will end up purchasing the Treo 650 will not have the technical expertise to understand tethering lt alone know how to set it up correctly (I'm not directing this at forums members but at the general population of Sprint).

I currently have Nextel with the PackStream Gold so I can tether my phone to my laptop. I found that I use it MUCH less than anticipated but it is great in emergencies. 90% of the time I'm in a heavily populated residential neighborhood where there is an unlocked wi-fi access point somewhere within range.
    What's the difference between a car salesman and a Sprint rep?
    The car salesman knows when he's lying!

Sprint reps, especially the one's in the stores, generally know less that you do. As an example, I was at a Sprint store porting my wife's phone number to Sprint the day before the T650 was officially announced. We all knew about it well ahead of that.

The rep I was dealing with seemed to be the expert. All the other staff kept asking him how to do things, what code to use for a particular phone, etc. So I asked him what he knew about the 650. "It's not the 650," he told me. "It's the 610, and it won't be available until next year."

Don't ever believe anything a Sprint rep tells you, unless he can show it to you in writing.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #30  
    Just saying. The evidence seems to be mounting.
    $30/month extra for a 650

Yeah, I suppose $30 is reasonable for DUN to be enabled, but again, Sprint is assuming the worst from it's customers. As another poster said, there is almost always an unrestricted wi-fi network within reach. With the wide acceptance of wireless, most of the time you have a network available. This makes charging $30 for tethering really annoying, since the majority of people may not really use the 650 for that purpose.
    I just hope that the $30/month includes unlimited vision on the 650 itsself and it not be $45 total.

I mean that is still a steal compared to $80/month other charge.

Will any wireless carrier get it right for mobile professionals:
    Unlimited Voice and unlimited data (within reason) for a reasonalbe price)
    Right now Sprint and Nextel are the two closest to that.
    Here is another take, you can go to the Palm One site right now and get a new Treo650 with a $35 a month 300 minute plan (or any other) and add Unlimited Vision for $15.

So that tells me that as for now, we are fine, even new people that just sign up.

Sure am glad I got the $10 Unlimited Vision from back in the day....
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Here is another take, you can go to the Palm One site right now and get a new Treo650 with a $35 a month 300 minute plan (or any other) and add Unlimited Vision for $15.

So that tells me that as for now, we are fine, even new people that just sign up.

Sure am glad I got the $10 Unlimited Vision from back in the day....
    That's good to know, especially since I have the $10.00 Vision rate too! I'm hoping if they do impose an additional fee it will be based on usage. I do not use my Treo as a modem and would not want to be charged -- even if I did.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    That's good to know, especially since I have the $10.00 Vision rate too! I'm hoping if they do impose an additional fee it will be based on usage. I do not use my Treo as a modem and would not want to be charged -- even if I did.
    If it does happen, I bet well be 'grandfatherd' anyway..
    I feel strong about it, after seeing the treo650 sign up with UL Vision for $15
    Just to let you all know, I had a 300 and a 600, and moved over to a N-Gage QD, as i realized most of the time im bored i want to be playing games. Espically with new internet games out. Anyhow, the QD has built in bluetooth, and i use it constantly with my laptop and t-mobile only charges $5/month for their unlimited data, includeing laptop tethering, known as t-zones. Just though id let ya all know.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaczman
    Just to let you all know, I had a 300 and a 600, and moved over to a N-Gage QD, as i realized most of the time im bored i want to be playing games. Espically with new internet games out. Anyhow, the QD has built in bluetooth, and i use it constantly with my laptop and t-mobile only charges $5/month for their unlimited data, includeing laptop tethering, known as t-zones. Just though id let ya all know.
    True, but T-Mobile's slow data network and no documented plans to go to EVDO or another high speed protocol don't interest me.

I'll stick w/CDMA's fast network speeds...even with the uncertainty of the data plan pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    Apart from the fact that I don't believe Sprint believes it will get away with such a move, I really really don't think a store rep is informed enough to know what the plans will be.

Amen to that! Those guys are absolutely clueless.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    T-mobile has unlimited data for 20 bucks (with a voice plan). Can they teather their phones to their laptops?

Perhaps sprint will have a 5 or 10 dollar add on to vision for teathering. Maybe when they get their higher speed data going, hopefully reducing the latency at that time too.
    Hmm - I've got a non-smartphone (dumbphone?) and was planning on transferring my current plan and adding on vision when I get my 650 in January (I'll get the $150 off for upgrading an 18 month old phone then) - would it be better if I got sprint vision now so I can get granfathered in for the 650?
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    personally, after 2 years on these boards i don't know why anybody would put much stock in what some salesperson at a sprint store is saying. the info on here is much more reliable.
    Exactly. But most people like to get riled up over a rumor and act like it's official (as this post's title would suggest).

This sure would make them less competative with other carriers.

I don't even think it's worth a grain of salt.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12