Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a sprint customer but I'm not in a contract.

I'm definitely getting a 650, but I'm contemplating waiting for the GSM version instead...just seems like that is the more modern/better system.

Pros:

• SMS seems more streamlined.
    • I hate having to call Sprint to ask to switch to a different phone every time, using a sim-chip is so much easier.
    • when battery life is compared among similar devices, the GSM version usually has about 20-30% more battery time

Cons:

• 650 available NOW for sprint
    • no hassle of switching carriers
    • sprint all-you-can-eat data plan of $10/month can not be beat by any carrier as far as I know.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by CySurflex; 11/12/2004 at 04:23 PM. Reason: capitalized the "t" in the title
    data plans is the key for me.. im too hooked on $10 unlimited
    I'm a sprint customer off contract that's getting the GSM version. I've had tmobile before, and the coverage in my area is far superior... i'm also grandfathered into having the 10$ unlimited internet on sprint (i believe it's at 15$ now), so the difference between getting that or going to 20$ for unlimited internet wont make me cry
    Two questions….

1. I thought it was $15 a month for unlimited….How did you get it for $10?
    2. If you’re with sprint and you don’t have a contract, do they charge you $10 a month extra?
    re: the data plans, it was $10 at the start, then went to $15. some of us still have the $10.

either way, that's the best data plan around, and i'll be sticking with it. battery life is not a huge deal to me as i am not a heavy user.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex

I'm definitely getting a 650, but I'm contemplating waiting for the GSM version instead...just seems like that is the more modern/better system.

pros:

* SMS seems more streamlined.
    * I hate having to call Sprint to ask to switch to a different phone every time, using a sim-chip is so much easier.
    * when battery life is compared among similar devices, the GSM version usually has about 20-30% more battery time

cons:

* 650 available NOW for sprint
    * no hassle of switching carriers
    * sprint all-you-can-eat data plan of $10/month can not be beat by any carrier as far as I know.
    I thought about it for a long while, but I ended up sticking with sprint. I have had the same sprint phone for 4 years now, so I don't see calling them as a HUGE problem.. it's nice to be able to swap simms, but I am nice to my technology, so I don't end up breaking phones.

The GSM/CDMA battery life from the information out so far on the 650 seems to be very close.. not a big deal anymore.

The big things I found were: AT&T/Cingular are MUCH more expensive for data, T-Mobile has NO EDGE at this time, so it's kinda silly with sprints dirt cheap data plans.

Coverage was a big issue, but where I live, it's a toss-up as to which is better.. both work 95% of the time, and for every spot I find that one fails, the other is still working, and you only need to walk 100 feet in some direction to get signal back for either one. (T-Mobile vs. Sprint)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtext
    Two questions….

1. I thought it was $15 a month for unlimited….How did you get it for $10?
    2. If you’re with sprint and you don’t have a contract, do they charge you $10 a month extra?
    1. no - I guess I'm grandfathered in like the poster above said, I never realized it went up for other people. (going to check my bill, maybe I'm at $15 and didn't even realize? I don't scrutinize my bill that closely)

2. no, after your contract expires you just stay at the current rate. The $10 extra is only for new customers who want to start off with no contract straight off the bat, as far as I know. I've been with sprint for about 5 years.
    I'm not under contract but I do pay $5/month (or whatever it is) for the privelege. I've been thinking about trying out Cingular since it's supposed to be quite good in CT and the 850 band should provide better building penetration. I can't get a good enough signal in my house to talk on Sprint, though my Treo 600 seems to sometimes be strong enough to connect to the data network.

I've been hemming and hawing as to what to do the last few days and here's what I finally decided...I went with the Treo 650 upgrade offer from palmOne. $600 with a BT headset and no new contract. My wife will get the 600 (which, technically, is hers anyway since it came as a replacement for her broken Treo 300 - but I had to play with it). I figure that when Amazon gets the Cingular version in January or so and starts heavily discounting it (via rebates) I may buy two and sell the Sprint Treo 600 and Treo 650 on ebay. I figure that I won't get $600 for the Sprint 650, but I should get at least as much as the contracted/rebated Cingular 650 will cost, so it will be a wash.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    [QUOTE=Scott R]I'm not under contract but I do pay $5/month (or whatever it is) for the privelege. I've been thinking about trying out Cingular since it's supposed to be quite good in CT and the 850 band should provide better building penetration. I can't get a good enough signal in my house to talk on Sprint, though my Treo 600 seems to sometimes be strong enough to connect to the data network.

Scott,
    I am also in Ct...Unionville and would be careful about switching to Cingular. I think Sprint and Verizon in our area are superior. That is just my take after looking into it.
    Phil
    pwat, Cingular's coverage map shows CT mostly blanketed. Yeah, I know those maps don't mean much. A Cingular store just opened in Granby which isn't far from me, and it seems like carriers don't typically open up stores if they can't get a signal there, do they?

I'm still trying to locate a friend who has Cingular so that I can get him to come over and try out his phone in my house.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 600 can pick up a good Verizon signal in my house. I get a good enough Sprint signal just about everywhere else I go, so I'm not sure that I'd bother paying the extra $5/month for the roaming feature. I don't expect that I'd be shutting down my landline, so in-house coverage is not a big need.

So, it may come down to comparing bandwidth speeds now that the GSM 650 will support EDGE. If there's a noticeable advantage and I can determine whether or not I'll get good Cingular coverage on my daily journey, I may go for it. Otherwise, I may just stick with Sprint.

Scott
    Data is the main reason I won't even think about switching. Also I've had both AT&T and T-mobile, and they both either have no coverage or sound horrible in my area.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    Pros:
    • SMS seems more streamlined.
    I have heard conflicting reports about Sprint's SMS service. A friend of mine said that he has to login to the Vision service to receive/send SMS messages (he made it sound like it was a lengthy process). Is this any different on the Treo? I am currently using my 600 w/ AT&T and I rely heavily on SMS/Text Messaging.

Can anyone give me a good comparison?
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I have heard conflicting reports about Sprint's SMS service. A friend of mine said that he has to login to the Vision service to receive/send SMS messages (he made it sound like it was a lengthy process). Is this any different on the Treo? I am currently using my 600 w/ AT&T and I rely heavily on SMS/Text Messaging.

Can anyone give me a good comparison?
    Your friend is wrong. It works pretty much the same as on a GSM network.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I thought about switching but I have such a great plan now. 2 phones/2000min anytime/4000 offpeak/vision/pcs2pcs/corp. discount/no roaming (F&CA) total bill $85 I have been with SprintPCS since 1997 or 98. Hard to beat that.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    The SIM card is about the only real benefit for me, but that's hardly enough to switch carriers over. Hard to be the $15/month for unlimited data. While EDGE support for the GSM Treo is great, I would be very surprised if it will be anywhere close to Vision price-wise. And performance will probably be very comparable between the 2.

If I travelled internationally a lot then I'd maybe make the switch, but otherwise Sprint has been pretty decent for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    ...and the 850 band should provide better building penetration.
    Scott
    Compared to what? The Sprint network operates entirely on the 1900 MHz band, and there is much better penetration through solids on the higher frequencies.
    I'm thinking of switching to Cingular/ATTWS despite Sprint's pricing advantage. At home and at work (I'm in Connecticut) I get on average one bar of signal strength. I opted for the monthly roaming charge so that I could use my Treo on calls without worrying about losing the signal, but what happens instead is that I might make a call on Sprint's network then it gets dropped all of a sudden. No transfer to roaming. And the opposite can happen: if the roaming indicator comes on, and then I try to make a call, for some reason, even if I've successfully connected with the other party, the call will drop as soon as the phone finds the Sprint signal again. Hate it!

Ironically, the same thing happens to me in Burbank, Ca, where I spend some time because that's where my parents live.

In both geographic locations, Cingular seems to have great signal strength. So if they keep their $20 unlimited data option, I may switch when the 650 comes out.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    guys: tmo has unlimited data for 4.99 a month on tzones. in fact I'm using ot right now. beat that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiNNuTS
    guys: tmo has unlimited data for 4.99 a month on tzones. in fact I'm using ot right now. beat that.
    What are the restrictions on T-zones? I heard that some ports are not opened, which can lead to issues with some email clients, or IM clients.

About the Sprint or GSM subject, I would say, If you don't travel outside of the U.S, then GSM doesn't really matter.

I travel a lot, and when I get into another country, I just buy a prepaid SIM, to call using the local rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Compared to what? The Sprint network operates entirely on the 1900 MHz band, and there is much better penetration through solids on the higher frequencies.
    My understanding is exactly the opposite. Lower frequency = better building penetration. One reference I just found from a quick Google search:
    http://nordicgroup.us/ssub/cellpcs.htm

Scott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast