Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To tell him that the way they are doing this rollout is ridiculous. I deal with large manufacturing businesses every day and I can tell you that they know, within a day or so, exactly when they are shipping inventory months in advance!

It would make things much simpler for everyone (including P1 who won't have thousands of people calling their CSR's saying "is it out yet???") if they just officially announced a date. If it comes out earlier, great. If not, everyone knows when the first ones will be shipped.

This bs about 11/12, 1-3 weeks, 3-5 weeks, and the ambiguity of ordering from vienna channels vs. p1 vs. tc vs. bestbuy. It's all bush league. A company as big as p1 should act in a much more professional manner.

If I'm going to buy 10-12 of these things for my employees, shouldn't I have confidence in the supplier? The way this is going down is not too inspiring.

So, DOES ANYONE HAVE ED COLLIGAN'S EMAIL ADDRESS????
    StevenB
  2.    #2  
    bump
    StevenB
    why bump your post i minute later????
    What makes you think PalmOne doesn't know when the TREO 650 is really going to be available?

Good grief - PalmOne's MAIN marketing technique (and perhaps the only one that gets any ROI) is "buzz".

They know.

They simply aren't saying.

Better to get folks endlessly discussing it - like with "launches" and "releases" then "preorders" (Gawd,I luv that term! HA HA HA!) then "awaiting shipment" then...giggle.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenB
    This bs about 11/12, 1-3 weeks, 3-5 weeks, and the ambiguity of ordering from vienna channels vs. p1 vs. tc vs. bestbuy. It's all bush league. A company as big as p1 should act in a much more professional manner.
    What you seem to be complaining about is that you can't figure out how to be the first person in America to have one. Nobody needs a Treo 650 so bad that they can't wait another few days/weeks. You survived this long without it. You don't even know if it will meet your needs. You can wait. It's coming, and PalmOne did indicate that it would start shipping today. Some TC members are already indicating their order status has changed.
    If I'm going to buy 10-12 of these things for my employees, shouldn't I have confidence in the supplier? The way this is going down is not too inspiring.
    Why would you invest $6000+ in a product you have never tested? Regardless, production is spooling up... just because you can't get one in the first 2 weeks of availability doesn't negate the sale unless you are really that impatient. There will be plenty of Treo 650s to go around once the hype is over.
    Seems to me like all the bs has been caused by people spreading rumors about releases not P1 themself. P1 has nothing to do with TC or BestBuy, how can they control what they do or say. Sheesh, folks need to chill-out about this. It's only a cell phone for goodness sakes.
    I would bet bucks that half the hype on the various message boards is PalmOne-generated.
    SV's first post and Albert Lee are correct. Just chill-out, the 650 will be here soon. All of this "when's it comming" stuff is really getting annoying. At the very least, post all of this stuff in one thread.

P1 knows what they are doing as far as their rollout is concerned. Enjoy your weekend and see what happens next week.
    like they really care what we think. they should, but they don't. if they did we would things like wifi and more mem. good idea, but.....
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    why bump your post i minute later????
    Because I've never done it before and I wanted to see if it really worked.
    StevenB
    For what it's worth, I ordered a Gateway Connected DVD a couple of months ago that was "in stock." I was told it would ship in a week, then it because 3 weeks. Finally after the 5th week and third phone call it shipped.

The same thing happened when I ordered my car. It was "it'll take 4-8 weeks."

I don't think Palm can accurately determine the demand. If 6 million people order them on day 1 and they have 100,000 on hand, then the people ordering on day 2 is going to take awhile.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    What you seem to be complaining about is that you can't figure out how to be the first person in America to have one. Nobody needs a Treo 650 so bad that they can't wait another few days/weeks. You survived this long without it. You don't even know if it will meet your needs. You can wait. It's coming, and PalmOne did indicate that it would start shipping today. Some TC members are already indicating their order status has changed.

Why would you invest $6000+ in a product you have never tested? Regardless, production is spooling up... just because you can't get one in the first 2 weeks of availability doesn't negate the sale unless you are really that impatient. There will be plenty of Treo 650s to go around once the hype is over.
    I'm not so concerned whether I'm the first, 500th, or 1,000th. It's simply that I need to buy phones for my fieldpeople and yes, I am going to spend $5-7k and I'd like to buy the most advanced technology available. It would be stupid to buy a bunch of Treo 600's only to find out that for a marginal investment I could have had a more productive device.

The issue isn't people waiting for a new product to come out and being the first on the block. The issue is how the supplier introduces them into the sales channel.

For example I can tell you that when I bought a new car for one of my employees last year, it was what many people considered a "hot" car (Chrysler 300c). The dealership was able to tell me exactly the day it was shipping from the factory - six weeks before it was scheduled to ship. He was also able to tell me almost exactly what day it would be at the dealership. At the time, this was the hottest car out there. Dealers couldn't get them. People were paying $5k over the sticker to get the hemi model. That still didn't change the basic tenets of manufacturing that a supplier should be able to tell its customers when they will be shipping.

Why should P1 be any different?
    StevenB
    I'm not so concerned whether I'm the first, 500th, or 1,000th. It's simply that I need to buy phones for my fieldpeople and yes, I am going to spend $5-7k and I'd like to buy the most advanced technology available. It would be stupid to buy a bunch of Treo 600's only to find out that for a marginal investment I could have had a more productive device.

The issue isn't people waiting for a new product to come out and being the first on the block. The issue is how the supplier introduces them into the sales channel.

For example I can tell you that when I bought a new car for one of my employees last year, it was what many people considered a "hot" car (Chrysler 300c). The dealership was able to tell me exactly the day it was shipping from the factory - six weeks before it was scheduled to ship. He was also able to tell me almost exactly what day it would be at the dealership. At the time, this was the hottest car out there. Dealers couldn't get them. People were paying $5k over the sticker to get the hemi model. That still didn't change the basic tenets of manufacturing that a supplier should be able to tell its customers when they will be shipping.

Sounds like a great companyto work for!!!!!!! Are you hiring??????????
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    Sounds like a great companyto work for!!!!!!! Are you hiring??????????
    That's my point here - the #1 rule of business is treat your customers and employees like gold.

How would you grade how p1 treats its most loyal customers?
    StevenB
    That's my point here - the #1 rule of business is treat your customers and employees like gold.

How would you grade how p1 treats its most loyal customers?

Not very well Failing grade
    I think some people have so much time on their hands, their complaining must be a way to pass the time. I too am waiting for my 650, but if it takes 2 days or 2 weeks, not much I can do about it.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    yes, I am going to spend $5-7k and I'd like to buy the most advanced technology available.
    To each their own I suppose...

I have learned from past experience that buy a product based on specs alone is the best way to get screwed. My deployment strategy is far more conservative... if I'm going to deploy 5000 handheld devices to end users who are not going to be as tech saavy and just want things to work, I'm sure as heck going wring out the platform myself before deploying.

The Treo 600 did not make the cut against a fleet of Blackberries, although specwise the Treo 600 promised a lot. I'm optimistic that the Treo 650 be the right solution, but I'm not about to make the recommendation to invest in handhelds, server software, training and support without beating the heck out 1 or 2 units first.

If you're a smaller company, perhaps you're not adverse to the risk, and can write it off as a bad experience. If it's a big company, you're putting your job on the line.
    My guess is there are too many players and factors here to accurately determine the distribution timing. There's probably an internal ship date from PalmOne warehouse, but that isn't going to put it in your hands any faster.

At the heart of it you have PalmOne. They control the inventory. Outside the PalmOne circle, you have Sprint, who controls the distribution. Unless I'm completely off, Sprint ultimately determines who gets what, and when. A larger store might be given higher priority and a larger allocation. Business sales will get a percentage of the inventory. Other retail stores get their stake as well. And then you have the PalmOne store which has its own sales obligations to fulfill. PalmOne also has a responsibility to ViennaChannels to satisfy potential business customer needs.

For Sprint, I'm pretty confident most people will see their unit in the next few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    SV's first post and Albert Lee are correct. Just chill-out, the 650 will be here soon. All of this "when's it comming" stuff is really getting annoying. At the very least, post all of this stuff in one thread.

P1 knows what they are doing as far as their rollout is concerned. Enjoy your weekend and see what happens next week.

I will enjoy my weekend and I will see what happens next week...And the next week...and the next week... (what choice do I have?). Yet, I have literally been waiting to buy a Treo for a year! First I waited to see when Verizon would have the 600, then heard about the 650 and waited for it....and waited. Yes sure I can wait (been there, done that). And I'm sure P1 knows what they are doing, but I can also be displeased with what they are doing (or not doing). I hear that you are annoyed at some of us who are expressing our annoyance. Nonetheless, I will make every attempt to heed your level headed suggestion to "chill out". But I'm still annoyed!!!!

Amen to that. I need to replace about 20 300's. That involves swapping out my current 600 users (Exec Mgmt/Sales) with a 650 and then trickle down the 600 to 300 users. With folks traveling all over the U.S. it sure would help scheduling these swaps if I had an expected timeframe.

Of course, I could use the time to figure out what to do with all of these 300's. Perhaps an art piece titled "Ode to the Broken Flip"
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY

Yea, but, when are they shipping my 650?

Correct, all this speculation is insane, P1 could just tell us, dude, your treo ship on 11/XX, stop calling.

Or, they could keep mum, and let the buz build and build.

For all the *****ing about the new Treo (wi-fi, memory, etc.), we are one huge ship of fools, eagerly awaiting the stupid thing.

Buzz is good. Remember, sometime before Christmas, we will all have received the MOST BESTEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast