Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm currently with Verizon but am interested in the Treo 650 with Sprint. First of all, any word on a Verizon release?

My real question is about Sprint's Free and Clear America, a $5 option which someone said would allow a Sprint user to tap into Verizon's network. The description from Sprint is that it allow for free roaming. I've been a Sprint customer before and I remember the phone roaming but with nowhere near the coverage I've experienced with Verizon (I live in Denver, CO). WIll "Free and Clear America" tap me into more extensive (Verizon) roaming? Or will it just all me to roam for $5/month instead of a per minute fee?

BTW, I've been away from Sprint for almost 2 years. Have people noted improvements in their coverage overall?
    F&C basically lets you roam unlimited for $5/month. As for service coverage, my wife uses verizon & I use sprint. We both have coverage in pretty much all the same places. Occasionally I will roam on verizon, occasionally she will roam on sprint. One thing to remember, though, is that verizon still has a large area using analog signal, which treos do not take advantage of (digital only). Hope this helps!
    There is something called an "Off Network Option" and it costs $10/month. It does not appear to give you unlimited roaming, but it is a little obscure what it means at all. This is all that they say about it on their web site:
    Receive additional off-network roaming minutes for use when traveling off the Sprint Nationwide PCS Network. For more details on this service (available minutes, charges, etc.), please dial * 2 TALK from your PCS Phone and ask about our plans and services.
    Also, I believe the $5 option gives you free roaming on "only" half of your plan's minutes. I made the swicth from VZW to Sprint recently, and so far no complaints. I've had signal everywhere I went. And the Sprint Vision price for $15...VZW simply does not compete with that.
    Here's the deal with Sprint's Free and Clear America.

I think it's the best option in the wireless industry, bar none.

As long as you're in a corporate market and not an affiliate market of Sprint; your best bet is to ask your local Sprint store... For $5 per month, you can use up to half your monthly minute usage for roaming. For example, you're on a 2000 minute plan. You use 500 daytime and 3,000 night and weekend minutes ON Sprint's network that month, that means you can use up to 1,750 minutes (anytime or N/W) while roaming. Now, Sprint does the 50% thing basically to cover themselves from over-zealous roamers, and they won't charge you if you go 51% or 70%; but if it happens or happens more than once they will warn you and eventually remove the option from your account. There's no additional charge to roam or roaming long distance charges. It's quite great.

The caveat is that you can't force your Treo to roam, so if there is 1 bar of Sprint service and full bars of Verizon service you'll be forced to use Sprint until it's completely gone. There is also no data or SMS functionality while roaming.

If you're in an affiliate market, you will get a less-appealing option. Some affiliates have an option for $5/mo giving you 250 roaming minutes but most of the affiliates only offer $10/mo for either 50 or 100 roaming minutes which becomes less worth it to me at that point.

All in all, I find Sprint a better wireless service overall than Verizon. Yes, I actually said Sprint is better than Verizon IMO. Sprint allows home-on-home roaming which basically means Sprint has agreements to roam in 95% of the physical country. In most areas, Verizon does not allow home-on-home roaming. They only do in about 5% of the country if I had to make an educated guess.

For example, where Sprint does not get service I can roam on Verizon because Sprint has an agreement with Verizon to let me roam. If I had Verizon and they didn't get service where I was, [in most areas] I would not be allowed to use Sprint, even if Sprint got perfect service there.

Hope this clears a lot up for you. But with Sprint's service, Free and Clear America, and the great pricing for Vision; I hope you do make the switch from Verizon. I think they are over-priced and over-full-of-themselves.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies. When I used to be a Sprint customer, I did not have this option, but do remember roaming anyway (and being charged for it). Does "Free and Clear" allow for more roaming options (Verizon's network) or does it just make the roaming a flat fee? In other words, will I experience a better sense of coverage than I did before (during my previous stint without "Free and Clear")???
    Acousticbiker-

FYI- I live in Denver as well and switched last year from Verizon to Sprint. I would argue that Verizon has the best coverage everywhere (Den included). That being said, Sprint bought all of Qwest's CDMA towers here in Colorado, and Sprint's coverage is actually fantastic here now. I have no complaints whatsoever about switching. YMMV, of course.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I too have Sprint on LI NY, and frankly, I find the coverage pretty good.. I do get dropped calls from time to time, but I figure you get that with any service, and for the price, Sprint still kills. The one thing worth noting (you may know this already, but it bares repeating) is that if you are roaming, you CANNOT use data services while in Roam. Just an FYI.
    There is discussion of the Sprint QWest deal over at www.wirelessadvisor.com . Bill Radio from Mountain Wireless often has valuable insight about the different carriers coverage in the area.

G.
    Modma:

Great explanation. Let me re-emphasize one thing. The 50% roaming mintues are limited to 50% of the non-roaming minutes on the account during that billing period. So if you're on a 1000 minute plan, but only spend 300 minutes on Sprint's network in a period, you only get 150 minutes of roaming on the F&CA plan, not the 500 minutes you might expect.

A comment for biker: If you have a Treo, and you're roaming, you ARE roaming on Verizon. Sprint and Verizon are the only major CDMA networks in the U.S., and a Sprint T600 and T650 won't roam on anything else (no analog capability).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by modma
    There is also no data or SMS functionality while roaming.
    Rats!

Like acousticbiker, I'm in Colorado (Boulder) and also switched from Sprint to VZW two years ago. I left Sprint primarily because of poor SMS coverage nationwide. I complained and their CS Reps offered zero hope of improvements. (They are worse than clueless.)

I'm on call 24X7 and stopped carrying a text pager in 2002 because of overall improved reliability of SMS. Have Sprint customers noticed marked improvements in this area in the last couple of years? How about data coverage?

I'd love to return to Sprint because of rates and technology but I must have voice, SMS, and data coverage (in that priority).
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    A comment for biker: If you have a Treo, and you're roaming, you ARE roaming on Verizon. Sprint and Verizon are the only major CDMA networks in the U.S., and a Sprint T600 and T650 won't roam on anything else (no analog capability).
    This is not true. There are many CDMA providers in the US besides Sprint and Verizon. (although obviously sprint and VZW are the biggest) Alltel, RCC/Cellular 2000, Midwest Wireless just to name a few in my area - and I've roamed on all of them. In fact, I've only roamed on Verizon once or twice. Everything else has been other CDMA providers.
    How do you tell what provider you are roaming on?
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere... Write that down."
    -Van Wilder
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobva6
    How do you tell what provider you are roaming on?
    Just dial a bogus number like "123". Then listen to the recorded message.
    ---> "The number you dialed is not valid. Please hang up and try again. Thank you, Midwest Wireless"
    All I know is in San Luis Obispo County, CA - we are 3281 sq miles in size. Sprint has approx. 9.6 sq. miles of coverage. You are ALWAYS roaming here!!! I was tempted to switch to Sprint for the 650. I went to BB (The ONLY carrier here for SPCS) and the alses rep told me he had a Treo600, and got rid of it and switched to ATTWS because he never was able to use SMS or Data due to the constant roaming.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Rats!

Like acousticbiker, I'm in Colorado (Boulder) and also switched from Sprint to VZW two years ago. I left Sprint primarily because of poor SMS coverage nationwide. I complained and their CS Reps offered zero hope of improvements. (They are worse than clueless.)

I'm on call 24X7 and stopped carrying a text pager in 2002 because of overall improved reliability of SMS. Have Sprint customers noticed marked improvements in this area in the last couple of years? How about data coverage?

I'd love to return to Sprint because of rates and technology but I must have voice, SMS, and data coverage (in that priority).
    I have experienced very good coverage with Sprint (and I travel extensively throughout the US). And as to your question about data/sms coverage, I've noticed very few, if any, areas where data/sms coverage is not available and voice is. As a matter of fact, I think the sms stream is carried over the voice network, not the data network.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to Sprint from AT&T. But I had a quick question that perhaps one of you could answer.

I have heard conflicting reports about Sprint's SMS service. A friend of mine said that he has to login to the Vision service to receive/send SMS messages (he made it sound like it was a lengthy process). Is this any different on the Treo? I am currently using my 600 w/ AT&T and I rely heavily on SMS/Text Messaging.

Can anyone give me a good comparison?
  18.    #18  
    I'm trying to figure out if Sprint is better now that it was 2 years ago. Does anyone know if "roaming" on Sprint 2 years ago included Verizon towers, as it does now?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    i have been using sprint since about 97/98 when they really sucked. The coverage is great now, but also depends on you location. Here in the bay area it works great for me. If you are in or near a major city I'm sure you'll be okay.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to Sprint from AT&T. But I had a quick question that perhaps one of you could answer.

I have heard conflicting reports about Sprint's SMS service. A friend of mine said that he has to login to the Vision service to receive/send SMS messages (he made it sound like it was a lengthy process). Is this any different on the Treo? I am currently using my 600 w/ AT&T and I rely heavily on SMS/Text Messaging.

Can anyone give me a good comparison?
    Your friend probably has an older phone that doesn't support SMS. Therefore he's using what Sprint calls "shortmail", which is indeed a text message but is handled over a web service. -thus the reason he needs to log-in to Vision.

Sprint only recently implemented SMS (Spring of this year) so many phones used shortmail rather than SMS. Not to worry though, the Treo 650 (and the 600) allow you to use "true" SMS, rather than logging in to Vision. It operates identically to a GSM Treo in this regard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast