1.    #1  
    Looking at the manual, unlike the Treo600 where you can configure button1(phone) for both standard and +opt press, as well as button 2&3 for both and also the standard press of button 4 (7 uses in all).

The Treo650 seems to only have 5 uses. There is only an +opt for button 1 (no standard choice), and nothing for button 4 at all. Buttons 2&3 have both though.

You do get the side button now, but only for an +opt setting, so I assume there will be a firmware upgrade to make the standard press of that button PTT (Push to talk). I call that a draw, seeing that the top power button is missing...I would like the choice of a standard press for the unassignable side button to power on and off the device.

Hope someone can fix this, I hope they can also add function for the menu and home keys next to the 5way, but I assume that they are not mapped when the power is off....

7 buttons, down to 5...come on P1...little help.

Anyone have a 650 that they can look further into this?
    maybe 1button pro or Qlaunch?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    maybe 1button pro or Qlaunch?
    I already use q-Luanch, so I am still out functions..
    I guess they rather make the phone ID-10-T proof, verses having the buttons configurable?
    I don't follow, what is ID-10-T?

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    It's a play on words in the IT world - when a user has a problem, them them it's an ID 10-T error....put the letters together and they spell ***** (ID10T)

ID-10-T = ***** I wont start suggesting that it might apply
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    No, 100thMonkmee is a bright chap, he just took it at face value I assume. But I can probably bet he will get some of his friends with it this weekend..LOL
    Yeah, I use a button launcher program and have between 3 and 5 apps assigned to each hard button on my 600. I don't think it's gong to work right on the 650, without interfereing with the phone buttons.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    No, 100thMonkmee is a bright chap, he just took it at face value I assume. But I can probably bet he will get some of his friends with it this weekend..LOL
    Thanks for having my back! and yes, I do plan on getting some people as soon as possible

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    as far as technical goes, what can I say, I am a counselor, not a technician...I'm about as end-user as it gets and luvin' it!

Thanks for having my back! and yes, I do plan on getting some people as soon as possible

as far as technical goes, what can I say, I am a counselor, not a technician...I'm about as end-user as it gets and luvin' it!

Just a freindly joke to drive home the jest of it.

Nothing intended, I am not real technical myself.
    fair enough

Remember too that through the Favorites app, you get the entire keyboard to use as Hot keys. Just assign an app to a favorites box and assign it a letter key. Then to launch it, just press the phone button (to switch to the main phone app) and then press and hold the letter of the app you want to launch. This two button approach is as least as easy as the option+button approach and you get the added benefit of assigning letter keys that relate to the app you are launching.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyTreo
    Remember too that through the Favorites app, you get the entire keyboard to use as Hot keys. Just assign an app to a favorites box and assign it a letter key. Then to launch it, just press the phone button (to switch to the main phone app) and then press and hold the letter of the app you want to launch. This two button approach is as least as easy as the option+button approach and you get the added benefit of assigning letter keys that relate to the app you are launching.
    Thanks Scotty, that's a good idea, but I already do something sort of like that. Thanks for the reply though

I even went one step further with the Treo600 and used Treo Butler so I could launch a Favorite app from anywhere (not just the phone app like the treo600 was in the OEM state) and I'll still be shorted three functions. However, now that I have a 650, it seems a tad bit worse, becasue when it is off, there are only three things I can wake it up with (hotkey) and that is button #1,2,&3 and button #1 can't be changed. I was just in the habbit of knowing that on my 600, I could put my 4 most important apps on the 4 hard buttons and know that they will always be there if I hit the button and it was off. Even the opt+button will not work when it's in sleep mode (off), nor will the favorties "quick key'. Then with the powe button missing...(well the #4 button, 'end' is the power button now.

I'll figure something out, not that bad in the grade schem of things though...just a step backwards IMHO.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'd like to see the new shift button on the right (where the menu key used to be) be assigned back to a menu key, then use the menu key for something else.Anyone else agree with me here?

frank
  15.    #15  
    It would be nice to have several buttons configuarable. MHO, leave the menu key alone and turn the old one (right shift) to bring up the Command Bar. Now that would rock! I like the menu were it's at now, except when I want to do a short cut like 'back' via Blazer. Having a Command Bar pull up with the right shift key wouls solve this IMHO. But better yet, have a buch you can configure. I assume the two shift keys are mapped different since 'find' is only on the left one.
    I have a bug with Datebook5 having to do with Buttons. If you click yes for Datebook5 to launch from the Datebook button, it chooses the Phone Button, not the Datebook button. The only way I have found to stop this is to delete the app as the Phone button is not configurable. Also, deleting and reinstalling Datebook 5 does not work as it still is on the Phone button after reinstall. I don't want to do a hard reset but I may have to if I want the Phone button back. Right now I have the extra side button assigned to the Phone and Datebook5 on the Phone Button. It's working but not optimal for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    I have a bug with Datebook5 having to do with Buttons.
    It's been fixed in the latest beta for version 5.4.

Enjoy!