Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was at a Treo Roadshow today and grilled Peter Skillman, one of the lead designers of the 650, on the lack of inclusion of OS6.1. While he was a bit evasive at first, after pepparing him with questions, a very clear (and extremely disappointing) picture emerged. Cobalt is not even close to being ready....even 6.1 that's supposed to have the telephony stacks. Skillman clearly thinks that it's MONTHS away from being where it needs to be. I asked whether PSRC's model of licencing the 3 Taiwanese ODMs would help matters so that PalmOne and others could quickly bring to market their reference designs. He wished 'em a heartfelt "good luck!!" He basically said that it takes a hell of a lot of work to work out all of the bugs with telephony and PSRC isn't there. Skillman gave the distinct impression that he wasn't about to invest all of the time to build new Cobalt telephony stacks after all of the work that PalmOne (really Handspring) put into doing it on OS5. Even worse, even 6.1 doesn't include basic CDMA support (let alone EV-DO etc.)out of the box so to there's not even a buggy version of a Sprint/Verizon PalmOne-based Cobalt handheld in the near future. He DID make it sound like a NON-telephony-based Cobalt device was a possibility though. My sense is that Palmone is fed up with Palmsource and terrified with the pullback by Sony that it's supporting a dying platform....in the future I'd DEFINITELY expect the company to move away from Palmsource on phones. Oh, he went into great detail as to why it would be very $$ (though not technically impossible) to get Cobalt to run on the 650 so those of us waiting for an upgrade are waiting in vain. Mike Mace, tell me I'm wrong!!!!! I've been a HUGE PalmOS supporter and now fear that PSRC has really lost its chance...even if it gets a few taiwanese ODMs on board, those guys don't have carrier relationships which is KEY. Either PSRC gets Palmone back on board (which would mean devices would be on the market in like a year at BEST), finds another few MAJOR licensees like Samsung (an OS5 device is STILL MIA from these guys while they're producing MULTIPLE versions of PPC/Smarphone) or it's all over. :-(
    Last edited by Conqueror; 11/11/2004 at 10:11 PM.
    It would be nice to have Cobalt, but I donít think it will be ready for awhile, maybe it will appear on the Treo 700. By the time Cobalt has good support from other companies, the Treo 700 should be out.
    A very "doom and gloom" outlook for a company that has done very well so far. What makes you think they're in "trouble" because a new version of the OS is months, even a year, away. I've done some research into Cobalt, and it does sound nice, but if the Treo 700, 800, or even 900 came out without it what makes you think people wouldn't upgrade. I'm upgrading to the 650 for hardware changes. The OS doesn't matter at all to me. I don't buy a new computer because the latest version of Windows is on it. Do you?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I dont think programmers are going to drop a treo just because it doesnt have the lastest and greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    The OS doesn't matter at all to me. I don't buy a new computer because the latest version of Windows is on it. Do you?
    I have to agree with you on that. I just bought a loaded Tecra 9100 in May specifically because it had Windows 2000 in stead of XP.
    A very "doom and gloom" outlook for a company that has done very well so far. What makes you think they're in "trouble" because a new version of the OS is months, even a year, away. I've done some research into Cobalt, and it does sound nice, but if the Treo 700, 800, or even 900 came out without it what makes you think people wouldn't upgrade. I'm upgrading to the 650 for hardware changes. The OS doesn't matter at all to me. I don't buy a new computer because the latest version of Windows is on it. Do you?
    You don't care about multitasking?
    To be fair the original post is referring to PalmSource being in trouble. With Sony no longer supporting their OS it would be a problem for PalmSource if PalmOne starting considering other OS's for their PDAPhones. PalmOne may have a very bright future ahead of them, but PalmSource may not.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  8.    #8  
    Exactly; I never said that I thought PLMO was in (immediate) trouble. I think its strong industrial design and good carrier relationships will keep it in good stead for a while. It's PSRC I'm concerned about!
    I have similar misgivings about PalmOS, sadly. Without the Treo to boost its popularity, I think PocketPC, Symbian and Linux would be eating their lunch (even more than they are starting to already).

I think PalmOS 5 is still competitive, but unfortunately, with any OS, you need to either have a huge marketshare, and/or differentiate your platform with features or attractive devices, to thrive. PalmOS is slipping in marketshare, and though they've been keeping up with WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular support in the OS (with some gaps), they haven't been leading the pack. They do have a good memory and power profile compared to PocketPC , and a richer feature set and application support than Symbian and other cell phone OS', but that can change overnight.

They (PalmSource) could still pull it together and maintain/extend their market lead, but their licensees (including palmOne) are facing a tough decision - stick it out and hope for the best, or eat the switching costs now and jump into the other platform markets now to start building share there. Sony already bailed in the US, others are on the fence.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Tungsten, I'm going to get a Treo 650, and I hope PalmOS has a long and happy life ahead of it. But PalmSource needs to get its act together, and soon.
    I would definitely like to see Cobalt on a Treo. But major carriers are upgrading their networks and won't be complete for at least a year or more. Plenty of time for Cobalt to be finished.

And I'm posting this from a Windows XP OS, which came out late 2001. Over three years old, and Longhorn is still far off. So even MS can't keep a release date.
    I don't think That PS is in "trouble". I think that P1 is considering Dual OS's so that they can keep the company moving. Don't ask me wha tsense that makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    Exactly; I never said that I thought PLMO was in (immediate) trouble. I think its strong industrial design and good carrier relationships will keep it in good stead for a while. It's PSRC I'm concerned about!
    PalmSource is completely effed. They are pathetic. MS has released 3 OS version on phones over the past couple years. And PalmSource can't even get telephony working in Cobalt? Get some new engineers - those tards need to go. It's been over 7 years since a significant improvement in PalmOS; imagine if MS had stopped at Windows95 (or Windows98). They's gone two major desktop OS releases, which are infinitely more complex than a PDA/phone.

Alas, PalmOne is completely dependent on PalmSource, so they are effed too.

Sure, they can pimp the design with Windows Mobile, Symbian, and others, but at the end of the day, someone will build a better mousetrap.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    PalmOne is on a roll. In order to stay on a roll with Cobalt a couple years away, they are going to have to offer Treos running Pocket PC and/or Linux. Considering the power of these handhelds, I think that's great! Let Microsoft worry about multitasking. They will double their sales if they go multilingual.
    Mikec,

No one said that PalmSource can't make telephony work. What Peter said was that every new OS needs a lot of testing before all the kinks are out. This is more the case with telephony (I was there when Peter was talking about this). HS and P1 clearly spent dearly on debugging their telephony and making it robust. Switching to Cobalt's telephony any time soon would be stupid on P1's part. I think Cobalt might make it in but without using its telephony features. After it gets some use and (hopefully) some real phone implementations by minor players, it might then start to get used in the Treo line (if it's still called that then).
    Conqueror,

Although I acknowledge and support your freedom to post what you were told at the show (I was there--we talked about Chatter, etc), I personally wouldn't be surprided if this post attributing this to PS causes a big of stir between the two companies. We shouldn't be surprised if we get less and less access to people like PS as a result.

I personally was impressed with the the access and candor he gave us. He didn't seem to hold back and worked hard to answer all questions for a long time. I'd hate for him to end up regretting his decision to open up with enthusiasts like ourselves. I wish you would have left his name out, for example. In fact you can still edit it out (and I'll remove any references from my posts if you do).
    I support all of your rights to post, but I still feel it necessary to argue with a few of you. The fact that MS has come out with multiple versions of its PPC/MOBILE platform shouldn't impress anyone, because, IMO, the first two versions were so buggy they never should have been released. Second, I suppose the fact that they're two seperate companies makes it possible for P1 to use whatever OS they want, I'd be surprised to see that this early. It was legal for me to drink when I turned 21, but I didn't share my first drink with my Dad until this year (I'm 29). It felt wrong.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Mikec,

No one said that PalmSource can't make telephony work. What Peter said was that every new OS needs a lot of testing before all the kinks are out. This is more the case with telephony (I was there when Peter was talking about this). HS and P1 clearly spent dearly on debugging their telephony and making it robust. Switching to Cobalt's telephony any time soon would be stupid on P1's part. I think Cobalt might make it in but without using its telephony features. After it gets some use and (hopefully) some real phone implementations by minor players, it might then start to get used in the Treo line (if it's still called that then).
    Silver,

How long does it take to make/test that. If those sorry employees would cut out their 4 daily Starbucks breaks and actually get some work done, then maybe we should see some action.

You take that to India ot China, and you are done in 6 months, tops.
    I support all of your rights to post, but I still feel it necessary to argue with a few of you. The fact that MS has come out with multiple versions of its PPC/MOBILE platform shouldn't impress anyone, because, IMO, the first two versions were so buggy they never should have been released. Second, I suppose the fact that they're two seperate companies makes it possible for P1 to use whatever OS they want, I'd be surprised to see that this early. It was legal for me to drink when I turned 21, but I didn't share my first drink with my Dad until this year (I'm 29). It felt wrong.
    And you don't think Palm software is buggy?

GMAFB.

Can't help you with your problems with your Dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    PalmOne is on a roll. In order to stay on a roll with Cobalt a couple years away, they are going to have to offer Treos running Pocket PC and/or Linux. Considering the power of these handhelds, I think that's great! Let Microsoft worry about multitasking. They will double their sales if they go multilingual.
    Do you really think P1 has the execution ability for that?

This is a complete pipe dream (albeit a nice one).

If this happens in a year from today (released, buyable), I'll send two Treos to you.

If it happens two years from today, I'll send you a new Treo.

If it happens in 3 years, it won't matter.

If another vendor comes out with a Treo-like device, all bets are off (which is what I think will happen).
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Conqueror,

Although I acknowledge and support your freedom to post what you were told at the show (I was there--we talked about Chatter, etc), I personally wouldn't be surprided if this post attributing this to PS causes a big of stir between the two companies. We shouldn't be surprised if we get less and less access to people like PS as a result.
    I agree wholeheartedly. As someone in R&D at my company, I am loath to talk to customers at tradeshows and such for this very reason. Things can be taken out of context, twisted, or simply misunderstood and the ramifications of such can be great. I hope that what silverado points out doesn't happen (problems between the two companies).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast