Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just tried to pre-order the Treo 650 on the palmone website, hoping to get the $150 discount that is available to Sprint customers. It turns out that this discount is only available to new Sprint customers. I called Sprint to clarify this and ended up speaking to a supervisor. Existing Sprint customers have to have their current handset for 18 months before they can upgrade with a discount. I pointed out that the Treo 600 has only been out for under a year and the only way to pre-order the 650 through palmone is to currently have the 600; he said he understood but that this was their "policy" and he could not change it. Existing customers have to wait until the phone comes into Sprint Stores (i.e. we can't pre-order like new customers) and then they can trade in their old phones for the new ones. They will give us a "fair price" for our old phones depending on their condition.

I pointed out to the supervisor that this is not good business. You do not give better deals to new customers than you do to you old customers. I also said this is bad PRPRPR $as$ $Sprint$ $should$ $know$ $that$ $current$ $Treo$ $600$/$Sprint$ $customers$ $will$ $take$ $this$ $to$ $the$ $web$ $and$ $in$ $no$ $time$ $other$ $cell$ $phone$ $companies$ $will$ $start$ $advertising$ $how$ $THEY$ $treat$ $their$ $existing$ $customers$ $better$ $than$ $Sprint$ $and$ $try$ $to$ $entice$ $people$ $to$ $change$. $Again$ $he$ $said$ $that$ $this$ $was$ $policy$ $and$ $he$ $could$ $not$ $change$ $it$.

I then said I would like to file a formal complaint about their policy. Also, I asked him how much it would cost me to break my contract with Sprint - get this it was $150! I told him thank you very much, that I would find another cell phone company that could provide me the phone with a similar discount and then discontinue my service with Sprint!

Will other existing Sprint customers who want to upgrade to the 650 also call and complain? This is not the first time I've seen a cell phone company give better deals to new customers than existing customers. If they are not loyal to us, how can they expect us to be loyal to them?

thanks for the opportunity to vent!
    Rattaran
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rattaran
    Existing Sprint customers have to have their current handset for 18 months before they can upgrade with a discount.
    Yup, that is correct. I have to wait until Feb 2005 to get the discount, assuming I stay with Sprint. So what's your point?
    What kind of a "special" incentive is it if everyone gets it? They don't need to retain a customer with a contract. You sign for two years and six months before the contract ends they offer an incentive to extend. My current Sprint bill is around $70. The $150 off to extend my contract for two years (and I think that's how it works) is an 8.9% discount spread over two years. It really is not that great when viewed in this light. They don't give you $150, they deduct it from your future bills. You pay the full price of the T650 (if you upgrade P1 will give you a BlueTooth headset free, worth about $100) but you pay full price.
    So what can you offer them in return for a 10% discount? They have you, and they think they will keep you. When it starts to get close to being able to get free then they offer an incentive.
    But to be on your side, I do think it is a good idea to keep after them about it. I call about once a week and press for a better incentive. I qualify for the 18 month re-up discount. But I don't think 10% is good enough considering what they charge. I think they should give 10% up front and a discount on service cost for the full renewed contract. And I tell them so. By the way it has worked in the past and I do pay less for my service than what they advertise.
    I think we should be united in a campaign to pester them. If we came up with a reasonable list and all asked for it on a regular basis we just might get it. It should be more then we think they can give, but not so much as to be ridiculous. The idea is to ask for stars and get the moon, ask for the moon and you get clouds. But if you ask for the universe you get nothing.
    How are they giving you a bad deal. They offer you $150 upgrade every 18 months (and $150 at the start). This is all clear from their literature so there is no special reason that just because YOU want a 650, YOU should get a different deal than a. everyone else b. what you signed on for at the beginning. They are not giving a better deal to new customers, they are giving the SAME deal to all of us. At day 1 you get $150 credit, at 18 months, you get another. Not at month 12, or 11 or whenever YOU think you should have the discount just because a new piece of tech comes out that YOU must have.

So you can't preorder off one website. No big deal, really. There is too much freak out over one little gadget and if you might have to wait a couple extra weeks. It'll be in stores soon enough, hell, you may even be able to get one SOONER than from the Palm website. And Jesus, if you're prepared to spend a hundreds dollars every 12 months for a fancy phone, then quit whining about an extra $150. This is a LUXERY, not a necessity. And Sprint is treating all of us fairly, so quit wasting their time.

(Not a Sprint rep)
    I pointed out that the Treo 600 has only been out for under a year and the only way to pre-order the 650 through palmone is to currently have the 600
    I think you may be mistaken on both?
    I have had my Treo for over a year, 13months
    Anyone can order a Treo650 from P1, I believe
    I pointed out to the supervisor that this is not good business.
    Maybe it's not good business, but it's how business is done these days by almost all of the wireless carriers. Yor only hope at Sprint throwing you a bone is to threaten to cancel your service. Good luck.
    I don't qualify for the 18-months part, but my contract expired in October. I'm thinking people in my shoes willing to sign another 2-yr. contract would get the $150 offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    I don't qualify for the 18-months part, but my contract expired in October. I'm thinking people in my shoes willing to sign another 2-yr. contract would get the $150 offer.
    I'm in your shoes and I'm hoping to sign another year for $100 in service credit as they allowed me to do last year. We'll see if that flies this time around though.

I'd personally rather by from PalmOne than from Sprint. I want to get the BT headset, which I don't think Sprint will offer.
    Keep in mind also that there's a good chance that the CSR and supervisor you talked to doesn't actually work for Sprint. They probably work for a call-center. In a lot of these places, not even the supervisors have a way of communicating with the policy-making brass at Sprint. If you want to pursue this with any hope of seeing policy-change, I would humbly suggest you write a letter to someone here:
    http://www.sprint.com/sprint/fastfacts/directory.html

If you're just looking for the $150 for yourself, nothing works better than calling up and asking to cancel your service. Most companies nowadays have "save teams" who are authorized to give you their first-born child if they think it will keep you as a customer.

Nareau
    How dare they practice free enterprise and run their business how they see fit! The government should force them to give us discounts! Oh, wait, this is America...
    I went to Starbucks today and can you believe they wouldn't give me 50% off my coffee!
    I told them that if they didn't give me the coffee at a lower price that I would then just go buy it somewhere else and that would be bad business!

Sprint's customer service is pretty poor most of the time. But how can you blame them for abiding by their rules? My guess is that if you wait a few months then you'll get a discount on the phone...but right now there's a waiting line...and that means they don't need to offer a lower price.
    If you don't want to live up to the terms of the contract don't sign it in the first place.
    If I read the info correctly on the Sprint web site, the deal is for a trade in every 18 months on SELECTED models. Can't believe that they would include the 650 in that program.

I have a 650 (my forth or fifth) and complained to my biz rep. and he could still do nothing for me til the 18 month time is up.
    Sheesh, what do you expect to happen? This has been Sprint's policy all along. When they give a discount on the phone they are hoping to recoup that money over the life of the contract (2 years) or within 18 months with the upgrade rebate. There is nothing special about the 650 over any other Sprint phone; why would they change their policy just for this one phone, which is probably close to the bottom as far as volume of sales.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Frankly, I"ve been with Sprint for around 5 or 6 years now.. A long time - probably since they started existing really. Yes their policies have changed, and some have become more of a pain then less - but overall, between some of the headaches I've encountered (and I've had a few), they have always gotten the issue resolved. Moreover, while I'm one of the many tech heads hovering near the 100 a month mark for my bill, (well over that after taxes), I can honestly say that for the price I'm paying and what I'm getting, I can't complain. For someone on Verizon to get anywhere close to what I hvae right now, they have to pay double - yes TWICE as much as I'm paying on a monthly basis.
    I don't think any carriers out there give massive discounts on upgrading a phone, especailly if it's only been 1 year or less. Sprint does it after 18 months - and that's not bad. I think VZ is 2 years, AT&T is 18 months, etc. (check my numbers, and don't flame because I'm guessing - not positive).
    And on the whole, I'm pretty damn happy with my T600 - and I don't mind waiting the extra 6 months for a 650 if that's what it takes to get a discount. My 600 works great! Does everything I need it to!
    My 2 cents anyways.
    I too have been a SprintPCS customer for about 6 years. Like many others, I'm impatiently waiting for the 650, having gotten both the Treo 300 and 600 the day they came out. Of course, since the 600 came out 13 months ago, and I re-upped for a 2-year contract to get a discount at that time, I'm inside the 18-month window. That is the Catch-22 of being on the bleeding edge.

I've bought 11 phones and spend over $2,000 a year on service. Will this get me a discount? It didn't last time. While in the store, I called the Business Line and pleaded my case, and because I'm a Business customer, they gave me a discount. Will it work this time? I'm sure hoping so.

With PalmOne, existing Sprint customers like me will have to buy it at $599, though with the Jabra headphone. On the other hand, If I am able to negotiate a $150 savings with Sprint when it comes out, and get the same Jabra via one of the online shops (~$69) I'll come out maybe $80 ahead.

Is it worth it? Hard to say, but I suspect the Treo 650 will hit the Sprint shop around the same time it's available from PalmOne.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    The big rum with sprint (for me) is that the terms for the 150 rebate (if you HAVE been with them prior to April 2004) requires that you have had the same phone for 18 months, NOT that you have not received a rebate in 18 months. So if you paid full price for a phone 9 months ago (Read no Rebate) they reset your clock to 18 Months! Even if you received your last discounted phone 16 months before that.

Now people who started in May 2004 have a 18 month without a rebate rule that is resonable.

As to the "cheated" sentiment I was told when I signed up for my plan (Jan 04) that I would be eligable for a rebate 18 month after I started my plan and got a discout NOT 18 months after I changed a phone - one of the selling points was that verizon was 24 months. Certainly they did not bring up that I could no change phones at full price during this period and have to restart the clock. I suspect that many others were not directed to this fine print either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    How dare they practice free enterprise and run their business how they see fit! The government should force them to give us discounts! Oh, wait, this is America...
    Who are some of these people, this is what we have bread in America, Spoiled Children.

A company gives you $150 which usually makes the original phone you bought cheaper than the cost to build it. To stay with them for 18 months because they know they will make enough profit to share with thier customers if they decide to stay, enough money to give them another $150.

Thats like the person who was complaining because "Palm One was giving out discounts to new customers with a 2 year contract." Give me a break Palm is giving no discount, it is the carrier, and it's based on 2 years of paying a monthly bill. HELLO!

Is that hard to figure out? I don't like Sprint, but I understand their policy, I can read. If you don't like the policy, leave the company, it is that simple.
    Nope, keep dreaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Nope, keep dreaming.
    I would be surprised if Sprint wouldn't give a service credit to customers whose contract has expired and were willing to sign up for a new contract - regardless of whether or not they buy a new phone/Treo. If not, I'm selling my PCS stock because these guys obviously don't know how to run a business.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Nope, keep dreaming.
    On the contrary, with expired contract, handset less then 18 months old, SPCS will offer you $150 rebate for a 2 year renewal.
    Hit *2, threaten to cancel, be transferred to cancellation/retention group, ask for rebate. This is a mail in rebate, not a service credit. At least that was the offer I got on 11/10. Your mileage may vary.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast