Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Voice Signal just released thier voicedial application today for the 650. You can get a trial here:
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...cedialing.html

Sorry, it doesn't work on the 600, I already tried it.

It doesn't say how much it will cost after the trial...you purchase it on your phone wirelessly with a credit card, how 'bout that.

It appears to work well with a wired headset:

When you press the button on the headset, Treo Voice Dialing activates. You can immediately say names or numbers to dial.
    Once the call connects, Treo Voice Dialing is de-activated.
    During an active call, you can use the headset button as you would normally for disconnecting or switching between calls. Treo Voice Dial is turned off during active calls.
    During an active call, you cannot dial numbers or additional people using Treo Voice Dialing. Instead, use the keypad, Speed Dial, or Contacts to dial additional numbers. Use the keypad to enter numeric characters in an automated system.

Doesn't appear to work with a Bluetooth headset.

Now if I only had a 650 to try it on...

-GadgetPro
    >Doesn't appear to work with a Bluetooth headset.

I hope your wrong because frankly if it doesn't work with a BT headset it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalm
    >Doesn't appear to work with a Bluetooth headset.

I hope your wrong because frankly if it doesn't work with a BT headset it doesn't work.
    From their own website....
    ----------------------------
    Notes on using Treo Voice Dialing with a headset

This article concerns the Treo Voice Dialing application available on our website: Treo Voice Dialing download page. Hands-free headset (wired)
    If you're using Treo Voice Dialing with the hands-free headset included with your Treo smartphone, or a third-party wired hands-free headset, keep these pointers in mind:
    • When you press the button on the headset, Treo Voice Dialing activates. You can immediately say names or numbers to dial.
    • Once the call connects, Treo Voice Dialing is de-activated.
    • During an active call, you can use the headset button as you would normally for disconnecting or switching between calls. Treo Voice Dial is turned off during active calls.
    • During an active call, you cannot dial numbers or additional people using Treo Voice Dialing. Instead, use the keypad, Speed Dial, or Contacts to dial additional numbers. Use the keypad to enter numeric characters in an automated system.
    Bluetooth headset
    Treo Voice Dialing is not compatible with Bluetooth headsets. When you press the button on a Bluetooth headset, Treo Voice Dialing is not activated. Use the Bluetooth headset normally, as if Treo Voice Dialing were not installed
    -------------

Sounds like the glass is only half full. Looks like Voice Launcher is still closer to the ideal.
    They left out one minor detail - the price
    This app is killer. I'm playing with it right now on my 650.. It's a 30 day trial..$19.99 for the final version (not bad at all) the registration is cool, as it's all integrated into the treo.. no pc needed, number dialing works for free always, contact name dialing is what the $20 is for.

When installs, it asks to take control of your side button.. very polite.

It is like a java app - it doesn't use standard palm os forms, and has a cellphone like interface (touch screen accessible though). The fonts are all huge and blocky it's not in a normal palm os form, or using normal palm os stuff at all. It is 5-way compatabile.

I launched it, and very first thing, said call 6515551234 and it accurately interpreted my digits.. so tight. to bad this won't work on a bluetooth headset ( confirmed at CTIA) There is also a quick 10 step training program where you read four numbers at a time to teach it to understand your voice better for digit dialing

HOLY @!#$@#!!! OMG! with ZERO setup, you can say ANY name in your contacts book, and the location, and it calls. It just works. IT just works. I'm not sure how best to explain this, but I never imagined that speech rec. was at this stage yet. 0 setup, and it just integrates into all 500 of my contacts.. it makes me laugh with understanding appreciation.

What a great way to go to bed, lets hope they can get this working on bluetooth headsets- this should have been built into the Treo in the first place.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    HOLY @!#$@#!!! OMG! with ZERO setup, you can say ANY name in your contacts book, and the location, and it calls. It just works. IT just works. I'm not sure how best to explain this, but I never imagined that speech rec. was at this stage yet. 0 setup, and it just integrates into all 500 of my contacts.. it makes me laugh with understanding appreciation.

What a great way to go to bed, lets hope they can get this working on bluetooth headsets- this should have been built into the Treo in the first place.
    No Setup at all??? I don't get it. Are you actually stating names (first, Last) from your contact list and it is actually dialing? For contacts that have multiple numbers assoicated (i.e. Fax, Home, Business) does it prompt you (verbally) which number you wish to call?
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Yup Yup and Yup

It requires absolutly no setup.. it just integrates it self and works. The only training you cna give later is for number by number dialing, but I'm not sure how much that helped.

All you have to do is say "Call Zindzi Czarniecki Home" to dial directly, or say "Call Zindzi Czarniecki" and it will ask you which number to call, prompting you via voice control. And yes, it does work out of the box with a name such as zindzi czarniecki.. i haven't gotten it to trip up on any of my weird names yet. And the number by number dialing works simply by saying "Call 6515551234" that's it. As I said before, im impressed.. i hate special setup, things are far far far more useful when they just work.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Yup Yup and Yup

It requires absolutly no setup.. it just integrates it self and works. The only training you cna give later is for number by number dialing, but I'm not sure how much that helped.

All you have to do is say "Call Zindzi Czarniecki Home" to dial directly, or say "Call Zindzi Czarniecki" and it will ask you which number to call, prompting you via voice control. And yes, it does work out of the box with a name such as zindzi czarniecki.. i haven't gotten it to trip up on any of my weird names yet. And the number by number dialing works simply by saying "Call 6515551234" that's it. As I said before, im impressed.. i hate special setup, things are far far far more useful when they just work.
    Sounds like palmOne needs to acquire this software/company, asap! If it works as good as you say, which I believe with all confidence, palmOne desparately needs to work something out with these folks.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    samsung has had this technology for about 2 years now. my a600 had it in there. you say name it matches it to your contact list. the best part was 90% of sprint reps didnt know that functionality was in there. they still thought u couldn only record names like on the a500 or use voice command. unfortunately, the fact that this doesnt work on the bluetooth really really pisses me off. alot.
    Not sure p1 could acquire them.. they make the voice rec software for almost every phone that is on the Sprint PCS network - and normally it is built into the phone (like on all samsungs.. thats this companies product) So I guess the quality comes from years of experiences?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  11.    #11  
    Wow Miradu, great review. Can't wait to try it myself.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Sounds great... what I don't get is why this isn't compatible with the 600? Maybe it just needs the highe processor speed, but I would think a *lot* of folks with 600s would jump on this!
    There are several apps in the Pocket PC and Smartphone world that have the "no setup" functionality. There are also a number of regular phones that can do it too. Microsoft's Voice Command and the PPC and Smartphone versions of this Voice Signal app are available. Also, my non-PDA Motorola V710 also has Voice Signal built in.

Voice Signal on the PPC allows you to start applications by voice too. I wonder if the the Palm version does too...
    Unfortunately, the PPC version of this app has been out for a long time and BT doesn't work there either. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to get that working.

The problem is, normally when you press the BT headset button, the phone application starts on most phones. That would have to be re-routed to start the voice app instead, then establish a BT connection to the headset to initiate the voice session. This would require access to some Palm OS protocols and other code that PalmOne may be reluctant to help with.
    If it works like the Microsoft version (sounds like it does) this software is amazing. I would consider it standard equipment even. Fantastic news.
    Not sure p1 could acquire them.. they make the voice rec software for almost every phone that is on the Sprint PCS network - and normally it is built into the phone (like on all samsungs.. thats this companies product) So I guess the quality comes from years of experiences?
    I had a Samsung i500 for a few months (before I saw the Treo light) and it was not this effortless. You add to "program" and "train" every entry you wanted to call, one at a time. And if your battery ever failed, or you reset for any reason, you had to start all over. And to top it off, NO number dialing as you described. If this is the same company, it sounds like light-years of advancement.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    You guys are right the VoiiceDial feature is amaX
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Ok, so how do you use it without the wired earpiece? Just run the program and talk? If that is true, couldn't you just program the programable button on the left side of the Treo to run VoiceDial when you want to activate it? Then wouldn't the Bluetooth earpiece take over after that if it was on? Just an idea.

I would think you could put your hand in your jacket pocket, push the button and start talking on your bluetooth after pressing the button on the Bluetooth earpiece. The button on the Bluetooth earpiece would just activate the call as normal allowing you to hear the progress of the call and then hang up after the call was made.

Would this work, you think?
    Last edited by ReesR; 11/11/2004 at 10:53 PM.
    Rees
    My wife has a Samsung a670, and the voice dialing works great and flawlessly without training!
    Not only does it work flawlessly for her, but I have used her phone and pressed the button answered name dial, then said the name of one of her contacts, and answered mobile number and WAALAA! the phone dialed!!!
    If this program is available for the 650, then that alone is a reason to switch!
    Although if it will work on a Treo 650, why won't it work on a Treo 600?
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    This sounds really cool. I am still an a little miffed that I will have to pay $20 for a feature that a lot of other "less expensive" phones have though. Palm doesn't have to buy them, but they could have licensed the app, Palm branded it and included it with the 650.

But who am I kidding...I will still buy the 650 and this app
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast