Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    I am gonna give it a shot. I am dissapointed as many others that I can't initiate this from my BT headset, which would make it amazing, BUT, I don't think this lack of functionaility will make it USELESS as many have stated here. Considering, that even with my BT headset, I still have to pull out my phone to initiate calls anyways, I think I could still make good use of this app. We'll see in a bit!
    Am I missing something here. We've got several BT users in this thread saying that VoiceSignal is useless for them.

But without VoiceSignal they have to pull the phone out, activate it, find the contact or key in the number, then the phone switches the call to the BT headset. During the "finding the contact" step, unless the contact is a favorite, there are several keys to press and their eyes are on the display for some of the time - dangerous when driving.

With VoiceSignal, they would have to pull the phone out, activate it, press the side button, say the person's name then wait for the call to transfer to the headset. This seems like a lot less keypresses and no eye contact with the phone. A lot quicker and a lot safer.

This does not sound like "useless" to me.

Or, am I missing something?
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    Now that you have got an HBH-660, have you tried VoiceDial yet? I haven't yet but tempted to. Just wondering what your thoughts were.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    You make some good points Peter, and the designation "useless" may seem excessive, but I feel the sentiments are of what is expected from a voice command application and those expectations include the ability to talk virtually hands free (mostly for in-car use as the laws are changing everywhere to limit talking on your mobile phone) for this reason the user needs a solution that makes use of the bluetooth technology we wanted so badly to be included in the upgrades for the 650.

Didn't the developers think this far ahead and say "hey we're including this Bluetooth technology, let's think of practical application for everyday use for the average user and make sure there are solutions available in the near future"; but I don't see that, I see it sort of as an after thought. It seems to me this would be at the top of the list for uses for the bluetooth technology. I know what you're thinking, they have so much to think about already, that they can't think of everything. OK, let's say for the moment that I buy into that argument (although I could go on about how it's there is a responsibility to ensure that when someone pays that kind of money for a phone that they should have certain assurances of being able to use that technology to it's fullest, but I digress) Then why, oh why, don't they go back to the handspring days when third party development support was not only encouraged but was a staple in Handsprings success and a selling point with the third party expansion slots (springboard modules).

The allowing of third partys to have an open book to expand on the existing technology is essential. (example of this is Shadowmites succees: this should be encouraged!) This in my opinion, was a big part of Handsprings success at it's startup that allowed it to compete in a very competitive market. Point being: by letting others in, encourages it's longevity because third partys have a vested interest in the technologies success, and in turn, the consumer is getting the most out of their investment and a product that IMPROVES over time.
    IMO this app is far from being useless. Of course I want the ability to intiate the application from a bluetooth device, but this is not the end all be all of the apllication. I have a Sony Erickson bluetooth carkit installed and to intiate the voice activation on a previous phone all I had to do is hit the call button once and then the voice activation was activated.

In my car I simply place the TREO in the handle of the car door and when I want to activate the voicedial I press the side button. I don't have to pick up the phone to do this. I am amazed of the distance the phone can not only "hear" my voice but it's accuracy. It hasn't missed one yet.

So IMO whats the difference if I am pushing one button on the phone or on the handsfree kit?

Of course it would be nice to not have to have the phone out at all and this doesn't apply to a bluetooth headset, only my carkit.

Still I am anxiously awaiting the bluetooth fix....
    Yes, I have tried VoiceSignal with the HBH-660. It works like this: Pull the phone out, activate it (green button - select button), press and hold the side button, say the person's name then wait for the call to transfer to the headset, put the phone down, talk...

It'd be lovely to do all that from the headset. But we'll have to wait for an update to do that.

My only hassle is name recognition. I live in Thailand. Most of my contacts are Thai. Thai people have long, complex names. The names are not written in English quite the same way that they are supposed to be spoken (you have to read them in Thai if you want to get the pronounciation correct). If I pronounce the name correctly, the phone often gets the wrong contact. So I have to try to guess how someone reading the name as written in English would pronounce it. Not sure how this is going to work out for me...

Regards
    Peter
    It can not be a huge effort to modify the VoiceSignal software to allow voice dialling via a Bluetooth headset. With my HBH-660, pressing the main button on the 660 wakes up and unlocks the Treo 650. All it would need to do is wakeup, unlock and activate the VoiceSignal app and tell the app to listen for commands from the BT channel. How hard can that be? Good programmer could whip it up in a week...
    Hey Peter,
    Just a thought, maybee you could just use a nickname rather than saying the whole name in Thai; for example: Sirikit could just be "call sir"

And I agree about it not being a huge effort to modify the VoiceSignal software to allow voice dialing via Bluetooth; There may be one in the works; I guess we'll have to wait and see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    It can not be a huge effort to modify the VoiceSignal software to allow voice dialling via a Bluetooth headset.
    Someone from VoiceSignal posted that the problem is in the Palm OS, not their code (something about the OS not allowing their app to initiate a phone call). He said that if the OS would allow this, it's a one-line change to the VoiceSignal code.
    Kenji
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkAce
    Hey Peter,
    Just a thought, maybee you could just use a nickname rather than saying the whole name in Thai; for example: Sirikit could just be "call sir"
    All Thais have a nickname. Usually very short. Unfortunately, some nicknames are very common. I know dozens of girls called "Noi".

The other problem with that solution is that, in my contact database, I always put the nickname into one of the custom fields and use the first name / last names fields for their real name (for addressing email and letters). VoiceSignal only looks at the two name fields.

What would be useful is a modification from VoiceSignal adding an option setting to "only match on first name". Saying both first and last name in Thailand is very long and complex. In my contact database, 90% of the contacts would be found by a direct one-only match on the first name. I would have a problem with "John" but no problems if I only had to say "Chalermchai".

Maybe I can suggest this to VoiceSignal...
    Thanks for the info
  12. ivy
    On the VoiceSignal website, they claim to support a dozen of languages other than English. Does some know how to get/buy those packages ?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I am trying VoiceSignal (using the trial version) based on the positive reviews from this Thread.

But I am finding very poor results. Very often I don't get any matches offered. Frequently, I don't even receive a match for my own name. I have tried adjusting settings.

I do have a very large contact database.

Has anyone run into this and does the recognition get better with usage?

Voice challenged,

jc
    Are saying "call" before the name and location and "call" before the number?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Are saying "call" before the name and location and "call" before the number?
    Yes I am saying "call" first-- which of course seems unnecessary--- any other ideas?
    Not really sure??
    It works flawlessly for me everytime.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    SInce no one else seemed to have any problems.....I contacted VoiceSignal. They said that there is a bug for certain databases.

They are working on a patch and hope to have it in a week.

Can't wait to get this to work.

JC
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo
    I am trying VoiceSignal (using the trial version) based on the positive reviews from this Thread.

But I am finding very poor results. Very often I don't get any matches offered. Frequently, I don't even receive a match for my own name. I have tried adjusting settings.

I do have a very large contact database.

Has anyone run into this and does the recognition get better with usage?

Voice challenged,

jc
    One thing I have noticed is if I only say the contact's first name, but it is listed in my contact list with the full name, it won't find it. I'm presuming you are saying the full name, but just wanted to mention this possibility also.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thanks Treo Guy. Using 2 names does help.

I had been testing using just my first name since I am the only "judith" in my database and I had listed my husband in my database using just one name. So these were getting no matches.....Now when I say the full name I find the matches!

Great tip.

jc
    wow, just got mine....it is great!!! well worth the money.

Now using this software, I can't help but wonder if there is application out there that lets me speak my memo or e-mail into the Treo. Any ideas?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast